crossing the border...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by winonarider, Aug 18, 2005.

1. winonarider

winonarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading to Montana this weekend, and depending on my motivation, I'd like to go to Fernie, Cranbrook and Nelson, B.C. I would probably enter B.C. in Roosville. Dumb question, I'm sure... What's the best way to exchange money in and out of Canada? I have no idea how much I'll need to wander around for a couple of days.

Good campground suggestions near eating/drinking establishments would be much appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Fernie about 11:00 Friday - Fri. Sat. in Nelson at Flying Squirrel Hostel (private room $42). Doing dirt as much as possible. Best part of trip is Kimberly - St. Mary Lake - Grey Creek Pass (2060m elev). Just go to a bank machine for $$$. All tourist areas will take your US$. Might see you in Nelson.

Cheers
    Brian
  3. winonarider

winonarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Stand Up! I probably won't get there until Tuesday, but I will check out your ride route when I get there. Thanks again!
  4. ChicagoF650GS

ChicagoF650GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can buy American Express travelers checks in Canadian denominations &/or use credit cards. The company will do the conversion for you (and charge a small conversion fee).
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just go to the bank machines, or credit cards. Travellers cheques are not needed.
    Actually, most any place will take US cash, and right now Canadian dollar is worth $.81 1/2 US, so still a good deal. Stuff is worth the same, except booze and gasoline, which is way more, unless you're in Alberta.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  6. winonarider

winonarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading out now. Thanks for the info!
  7. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    fernie is awesome, check out the ski hill

I stayed in the grand central hotel a few yrs back, about $20CA, AND its remodeled, quite clean, hip modern art, its probably more $$ now, ran by a nice couple, bike friendly at the time only street parking, wasn't a problem for me. close to booze halls , right in town, stunning area. post some pics :1drink
    go to
    www.enjoyfernie.com
  8. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    wow its still $19 CA, back when i was there the US $ made it $13, those days are long gone....
  9. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
    My experience is that Canadians are happy to accept US dollars but not the other way around. The other thing that worked well for me was to use my VISA which will give you the exchange rate at the time of purchase. Canada is a great place and they are very cooperative when you try to give them money. Nice people that we should strive to be like. Bear