crossing the darien gap really cheap

Discussion in 'Americas' started by MoustacheMan, Sep 26, 2010.

1. cu260r6

cu260r6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can do it for about $100 by buying a used launcha haha. http://bridginggaps.com.au/fourstrokes/index.html

I met these guys in Panama City after their adventure. One bike was sold for parts and the other took a month to get running again, but I wish you luck. :D
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I'm sitting in Wisconsin watching the Packers/Bears game with my dad. He's sucking on his oxygen. His body is used up. Well-used. And he's been to Yavisa and the Darien more times than anyone I know, not-counting people I know who live there. There's not much left of the Darien. It's used up. It used to make an awful lot if oxygen.

If I didn't have much time, I'd avoid the god-damned Darien.

I'd take the boat trip through the canal, and then turn around and speed along the new toll road back in 25 minutes. The canal is a Wonder, but that new road is a fucking Miracle.
  3. MoustacheMan

MoustacheMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw that its very impressive. I will find a cheap way to get it done one way or another. $1200 round trip is alot of money for me. I havent even spent $700 this whole month. Thanks
  4. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Gato Gato tried to do it cheap. The US State Department and the FBI had to go looking for him. The Colombia Army met his boat at the Colombia port. Ask him if he'd do it again. Last time I talked to him, he said No Fucking Way.

No Fucking Way am I helping MM do this. If he wants to go, the only help I'll give is what I've given.

Edit: MM sent me a PM. If he's also Black Spanker, then he's grown up. Maybe somebody can ask this kid where he got the bike and who's paying the bills? What was Black Spanker going to ride? And didn't he have a Panama girlfriend? Or was his girlfriend from Peru? And didn't Black Spanker want to carry a hatchet? We need an awful lot more information!
  5. MoustacheMan

Oddometer:
    I dont know who this blackspanker is or what youre talking about. I have a knife but no hatchet. I paid 2 grand for my DRZ and I am paying for this trip. If I wasnt "paying the bills" I would get daddy to fly me to colombia and I wouldnt be talking about being cheap. I lay tile and do odd jobs in the summer when imm home from college. Again thanks for the help heres my RR. Ill make sure to spank some black ass when I get back to Las Vegas...ahhahahahahaha lol

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615502
  6. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Blackspanker is a kid who came to the forums and instead of learning, basically pissed a bunch of people off. Most of the regulars here are double or triple your age. We don't always have patience with each other, and especially have a hard time with youngsters.

Have fun getting a boat to Colombia. Be careful. Remember this: there are old riders, there are bold riders, but there are no old, bold riders.

Edit: I had forgotten that I'd seen your RR when you first started it. SB will probably be along soon to agree that you are your own man, and not BS.
  7. MoustacheMan

Oddometer:
    thanks
  8. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
  9. MoustacheMan

Oddometer:
    I read about the Covairs thanks for the awsome video! I cant help but wonder if anyone used their trail for drug smuggling, imm sure it would have overgrown quick. Those bridges were nice. If there was a trail like that any idiot with a dirtbike, a full tank of gas, and a way to get over the rivers could ride to Colombia.
  10. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I don't get out as much as I used to, but I read more. And what I read is often about geography & politics. Panama, Columbia, the Darien and the Canal figure in geopolitical chicken and the egg scenarios enough to host a bunch of what ifs.

If not for the Panama Canal there would be no country of Panama, but without the country of Panama there wouldn't be a Panama Canal, the canal would be in Nicauragua. And without the Darien Gap there may well not have been a Panama.

Before any canal and before Panama was Panama, Columbia allowed Northamericanos to build the Panama Railway. Then they granted rights for a canal in the same vicinity to a private French corporation. As we all know, the French famously failed after tremendous expenditure, causing a political and financial crisis in France.

The U.S. governemnt then became interested in building (or more importantly, controlling) an Isthmusian Canal. Panama wasn't the only proposed route. That France had failed was a strike against it. There were alternate routes in Nicauragua and Mexico that, while obviously longer, were thought technically easier. In particular Nicauragua had a lot of engineering support.

Panamanian interests, looking for local development (and/or personal profits from it) lobbied strenuously for the Panamanian route. (There was not yet a country of Panama, it was still part of Columbia.) The U.S. made a proposal to Columbia, but it required major political concessions, like sovereignty over the canal zone. As a point of national pride, Columbia intended to reject the U.S. proposal.

Whereupon Panama declared independence and accepted the deal. The U.S. did not foment this "revoultion" but certainly liked the result. Columbia managed to land a small contingent of troops (on the Atlantic side) but U.S. warships came into the harbor and the Columbians, knowing they could not reinforce the small landing party except by sea where they U.S. navy could annihilate them, withdrew. The Panamanian revoution was saved.

The U.S. was hesitant to actually get involved in a war; the ships won by initimidation without a shot being fired. If there was a good land route for Columbian reinforcements it is unlikely that the U.S. would have actually brought troops to fight Columbians on Columbian soil and the revolution would have been easily crushed as Panama didn't have an actual army, only some police. But instead there was the Darien.

For a long time it was uncertain where the border between Panama and Columbia actually was. I don't know when (if ever?) that was resolved to the satisfaction of both countries.

That's the summary version, not to hijack OP's thread or anything.
  11. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    From Wikitravel FWIW:

"The Darien Gap is the one break in the Pan-American Highway, meaning that overland travel across Central America is pretty much impossible. This 60 mile gap without roads has been successfully crossed a handful of times - usually by expeditions equipped with off-road vehicles and staffed by special forces types. Attempts to bridge the gap with a road have stalled, because of environmental protest or concern that an overland route may expose North America to foot and mouth disease from South American cattle.

Crossing by a combination of foot and boat is not only possible, but easy. Stick to the Caribbean side and "hedgehog" from resort to resort. "
  12. VelvtRide

VelvtRide i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  13. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    MM,

Please send me your full name, social security number, address and a notarized statement giveing me permission to take out a life insurance policy in your name with me as the beneficiary. I feel lucky.
  14. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enough with the bullshitting. After a bit of research it is clear that
    Moustacheman IS one and the same as Blackspanker.The same swaggering, machismo style, misspellings and general timbre. He refers to Boston and the northeast, the home base for the Blackspanker persona, while claiming to be from California.

For proof go to this site www.omgili.com/user%3Ablackspanker
    where reference is made to him also as bikerboy259@gmail.com.

Then check out his current ride report and on many photos there is the identifier tag " bikerboy 259 "

On his Blackspanker posts he never showed a mugshot, so direct comparison was impossible, but I think he needs to come clean, if his ride reports are to be considered of any validity.Is He making all this stuff up?
  15. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    So Blackspanker/Moustacheman to ADV is as Red Rascal is to Doonesbury/Afgan War.....
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Good job, SB. I've been had. What a little prick. It's now obvious, MM and Black Spanker are, indeed, the same.

Hey Black Spanker: :wave:fyyff
  17. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Yep. I was fooled. When am I going to learn to not trust what I read on the internets?

Dang, Sjoerd Bakker sure is smart. Or else he has waaay too much time on his hands!
  18. patsymack

patsymack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys I don"t get it maybe I'm nieve.I read the guys ride report It seemed legit to me .Maybe a little idealistic optimistic youngun but......:dunno Fill me in.
    Thanks Patsy
  19. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I'll try to summarize: Black Spanker came into the forums and asked some pretty ignorant questions. He made some asinine, racist comments. When a few guys tried to help him, he turned into a total asshole.

Several of us who have experience in Latin America truly enjoy helping others experience the fun of riding there.

I have no patience for lying little pricks. I talked to my family in Panama. If he takes the private road from Cuango and ends up on our land in Cocuye, he'll be arrested. He's free to take the public road from El Llano to Carti, but not the private road along the Atlantic.

Anyone else who wants to ride east from Cuango to Cocuye just has to shoot me a PM.
  20. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reading his ride report was actually the hardest part of the research. It is written in an odd disjointed style ,often being no more than a few words with the acres of pictures which are not presented in any apparent sequence related to the trip.
    The prose when it does ammount to a few paragraphs more often than not relates how MM/Blackspanker/Bikerboy259 manages to evade some dastardly slimeball who is trying to collect owed money probably as a result of being drunk ,or how he manages to correct mechanical problems , probably a result of his own ignorance and non-preparation.
    Rather than a ride report relating the trip progress and normal events ,it is more a set of incidents real but embellished or totally imagined ,concocted to highlight his swagger, with insightful comments he could just as well have gotten from reading ADV and HU .Did he really even pass through Mexico city ?
    He is obviously a narcissist , taking pictures of himself as he supposedly falls asleep.Likely.
    Apparently his mom finally did sign the bike over into his name, but now it seems that being out of her care he can't handle independence just yet ,seeking out trouble late at night in bars in back corners of strange towns and getting into trouble because of it.

Spanky seems paranoid about avoiding riding through Honduras , fear of paying $50. But instead he claims to be in El Salvador for 2 weeks trying to arrange a ferry ride to Nicaragua- makes no sense.
    Then there is the bragadocio of looking forward to all the wild rivers and jungle tracks of south America to tackle , '" bring it on " he says. Rubbish.
    All the time while reading this stuff the suspicion became a sure bet that it was the same guy. Just by googling Blackspanker posts on ADV the whole plot became clear within a minute. Same guy.!
    No doubt he will be back under another name- maybe Munchausen Man ? or Pinocchio?