Crossing the US/Mexico border next week

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Veeya, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Veeya

Veeya Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I've confirmed that entering the US from Baja is easy and there are no restrictions for residents. But I'm not sure about crossing from US > Mexico.

Has anyone crossed into Baja in the last week or so from Cali? Any idea where I can find information on this and if there are restrictions I should be aware of?
  2. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes there are restrictions only essential travel allowed. We have not been stopped yet but several of my neighbors have been stopped. One at the border, the others at roadside checkpoint. They were required to prove their residency and home address in Baja. Hotels, bars and restaurants still closed except for takeout. And no beer. Have heard from friends of additional checkpoints going south in Baja Sur.

Whether you will be stopped is anyone's guess. But be prepared to be turned back if you are.

And if it matters to you, regardless of what the government says covid is uncontrolled in Baja right now especially in the border area according to my Mexican contacts.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  3. Veeya

Veeya Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dadgummit. Are you traveling through Baja currently?

I heard there is a checkpoint in Ensenada. I have a feeling that most of the checkpoints will be on the Pacific side for tourists headed to Rosarito/Ensenada (especially July 4th weekend).

I'm hoping if I cut across to the east towards San Felipe that there will not be as many checkpoints...
  4. Veeya

Veeya Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also @MJS , would you say it is a safer bet going south from Mexicali on the 5 to San Felipe?

I have a feeling I will hit a checkpoint when trying to cross from Ensenada to Highway 3.
  5. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    We just came down 5 a little over a week ago.Had been in Yuma,and crossed at San Luis.No problem at the border,but there were additional check points further south.We are residents,so they let us through.Not sure about anyone else.Good luck if you come.100 plus everyday now,and only about 10 degrees cooler at night....
  6. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    We came south on 5 yesterday with no issues but the checkpoints I was referring to that neighbors were stopped at were all on 5 north of San Felipe. Princess is right about it being triple digit temps.

There are the normal military checkpoint locations. Sometimes there are municipal or state police at these checkpoints. I've also seen some random checkpoints set up. There has been an occasional one at the north side of San Felipe and once on the south side. We always have a copy of our lease with us now when traveling. Just don't know when it will be necessary to prove residency.
  7. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    A buddy is supposed to be crossing this morning at Tecate so I can report back in a bit how that worked out. He has a place south of San Felipe and was there two weeks ago - got there with no issues. As for the Covid-19 in Baja - Mexicali hospital(s?) overwhelmed and 20 or so patients were transported 100 miles north to a local hospital here.
  8. Veeya

Veeya Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, this all sounds a bit shaky. @jonz I'd love to hear if he is questioned at all. Thank you!
  9. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reported 4 hour wait at southbound calexico crossing yesterday for inspection and health check.
    Veeya likes this.