Crossing US border with axe, multi function knives and fire starting equipment.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jfman, Aug 4, 2013.

1. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Hey guyz!

Is it ok to cross the US border with an axe and a swiss army knife etc...

If not I can buy on the other side.. But in that case can I bring it back in?
  2. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    As long as you do not try it on a plane I do not see why not :evil. I have gone across with a knife and axe and never had any problems at the border.
  3. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    You are going camping right? Those are typical camp tools. Except in NY city, where they are weapons. But why would you want to go there? :puke1
  4. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    I always carry a knife on me and have been pulled in for secondary inspection many times when crossing the border. Non of them ever said anything about me having it,

As said above, if your flying then don't bring it with you. Make sure its in your checked baggage.
  5. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    maybe dont declare the items in that order or any order of those 3....it may sound like you are threatening the border agent!! lol
    dont even mention them unless guard asks specifically "are you carrying an axe, lighter, or knife, mac?"
    twist it....
    ps: an adjustable spanner makes a better weapon IMHO ;)
    pps: wipe the blood of the axe before you get to the boarder...always recommended
  6. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've crossed both ways with all that and more including bear spray. No problems, never even been asked about it.
  7. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Knives are OK as long as they're not switchblades. I can remember crossing at a remote border crossing between SK and MT and being asked if I had a knife. "Sure, it's a regular knife, not a switchblade, blade is 4" long and it's right in here. Do you want to see it?" The border patrol agent just laughed and said "You've done your homework, haven't ya?" Just know where it is, accurately describe it and be prepared to show it if they want. You'll be fine with both a knife and an axe.
  8. pne

pne Long timer

Oddometer:
    same here, never any issues. Knives are not illegal unless you have something like a spring loaded switch blade or a butterfly knife.
  9. Transitwally

Transitwally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When they ask what you have, just say camping equipment. They're only concerned about guns.
  10. BigDaddy

BigDaddy not riding enough

Oddometer:
    and if they can collect taxes coming into Canada! Second on the spring assist knives.. Those are not allowed in Canada (Kershaw type)
  11. BigDaddy

BigDaddy not riding enough

Oddometer:
    Oh.. and I wanted to ask.... What is said "fire starting equipment"? I can think of a few things that probably would raise some questions at the border.
  12. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    WRONG! I know for a fact that assisted opening knives, such as the Kershaw SpeedSafe, are 100% legal in Canada. They are legal for sale, ownership, and carry. I own probably 6 assisted opening knives, and a dozen one handed opening knives.

I'll refer you to Article 84(1)(b) of the Criminal Code of Canada for the legal definition of the knives that are classified as weapons and are banned. Local laws may have greater restrictions, but in general Canada has fairly relaxed knife laws.

Sent from my iPad2
  13. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    We were asked about Bear Spray once coming into Canada (into Prince Rupert).

Otherwise it has just been Guns, Drugs, Smokes, Booze and anything I should be paying duty on both ways (most the Canadian way)

I have crossed in and out of Canada 8 times in the last year while travelling. I carry hatchet, fire starting stuff, knives and fuel in containers, no interest in these what so ever.