Cruise control opinions

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by HLC, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Tiny Swedish Climate Demon Supporter

Oddometer:
    The little suicide screw on my sportster is the best implementation of a throttle lock I've ran into thus far, but I would prefer to have true electronic cruise that could modulate a speed. Throttle lock on my R1100S dialed in to 80 on the freeway was more like 70 on an uphill and 90+ on the down, which doesn't help when I am using cruise primarily to avoid tickets.
  2. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have mild carpal tunnel and CC makes a long ride enjoyable instead of literally painful.
  3. Vrode

Vrode Testing...1..2...

Oddometer:
    It’s not something I need. But the fact that I have it means it’s a tool I can use. I don’t use it much in the northeast as I dont slab a lot. But it does work and work well. I’ve had wrist rests and throttle lock. They don’t compare to the cc. It works better than my car.
    I’d have paid big bucks to have it on my cross country trip on my old bike.
    Richy likes this.
  4. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    I'm kind of surprised at that sentiment from C & D. Cars now have adjustable distance-to-vehicle-ahead cruise controls that slot you into the traffic and adjust speed and distance to changing conditions and you can always override it. For bumper to bumper stop and go traffic you wouldn't use a cc anyway but for when traffic is moving it's the way to go.

On a bike I've had electronic cruise if offered or a Go-Cruise it not for over 300,000 miles. Wouldn't leave home without it and don't.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  5. Podman

Podman Rocketman

Oddometer:
    I have had cruise on my bikes since 2002 and would not get one without it. Why wouldn’t you have it so you have one more thing not to think about and just focus on the ride. I use it 25,35,45,55, etc - man cc is a god sent on a motorcycle. I have tried the other stuff - been there done that- does not come close to honest to goodness cc. If more people would want it on a bike then maybe just maybe HONDA would put it on more bikes. Last bike trip was 1543 mile until home. Thank you cc.
  6. T-88

T-88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't recall Car and Driver expressing that opinion, but then I'm not a lifelong subscriber and may have missed that opinion.

Odd though, read their methodology of how C and D obtains real world fuel economy and they say on their test loop from Ann Arbor, MI, they employ cruise control as much as possible.

As for new technology, my car is equipped with adaptive cruise control, and I employ the CC as much as I can in the city and always on the QE2 between Edmonton and Calgary.

Getting back to bikes, because it's a 3-4-1/2 hour cruise on the slab from Edmonton to anywhere the road makes a turn, I'd never buy a new primary bike without cruise control.

Think about cars for a minute. Can anybody name a mainstream car built in the last 10 years that DOESN'T have CC? It's become standard equipment. The UK bike mags love to ridicule North American motorcyclists for demanding CC on bikes, but Europe just doesn't have the vast, straight distances to cover we do over here.

If one lives in, say, the BC Kootenays or Okanagan Valley, a motorcyclist wouldn't NEED CC, but where I live, CC on a motorcycle is as essential as a car block heater (Google that you Floridians and Arizonans.) :)

Tim
    Chaostrophy, tjt94 and Podman like this.
  7. Buzz363

Buzz363 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not something I thought I'd need until I had it. I use it to shake out my throttle hand and avoid joint pain as heavy lifting has managed to destroy my joints. I'm not comfortable using it regularly but that may change with use.
  8. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    I only have a manually operated Wunderlich throttle-lock...though, I do wish I had an electric one for those long stretches. They can be quite useful and nice to have. One of those things you don't think you need, until you use one on a long trip. Helps for keeping your speed under control as well. That is the main reason I used CC in my truck, to avoid speeding tickets.
  9. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    One day, I'll have cc and appreciate the heck out it. For now, any bike I have winds up with a throttle lock because 1) I tour and 2) good roads are like 1.5 hours away from here of straight, high speed roads. One thing for sure, cc is what? $300 on the aftermarket for a lot of bikes? I'll easily spend that money on a pipe or tires for a tour instead. Don't even think about adding a rostra or whatever. Probably best I am ignorant and don't know what I am missing.

Tell you one thing - the two straight years I had ticket troubles, I learned to use cc to save my $ and license while driving my car. Still do. Set it at 77 and hope the speed limit is still 70.
    HLC likes this.
  10. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never had cruise on a bike until I bought a Yamaha S10. I've been riding approximately 49 years and didn't think I would use but it came on the bike. Wow! I wouldn't buy a bike now without. I use it on the slab or when riding through sections of highway with lower speed limits. Also, nice to relax right hand on long rides. I'm sold.
    STcorndog, MrVvrroomm and Vrode like this.
  11. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    This..
    95Monster likes this.
  12. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had bikes with and without it, even touring bikes with and without. For everyday riding, I rarely use it. For long distance riding, I use it all the time. Part of of that (LD) is the fatigue of keeping constant throttle pressure for hours on end, mostly tho it's the piece of mind of not having to worry what speed I'm going, set it and forget it. Unlike cars, most bikes can go from pretty fast to what-the-hell in a blink. That momentary lapse of reason can get to be expensive, particularly on a bike where 105 and 75 feel pretty much the same.
    HLC and Chaostrophy like this.
  13. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I have one bike with one bike without.

The one without is my solo/commuting bike, I could add electonic CC, but I don't have a need for it.
    The other is my two-up tourer, I added it to that (tuneboy) its nice, but Japan isn't the place to need it its VERY VERY rare that I am on a burn long enough and even if I am traffic is wired enough that you still basically can't use it.
  14. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    I have cruise control on my 2014 FLHR but very rarely use it, even on long trips.
  15. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Car and Driver needs to get out of Ann Arbor if they think cruise is "redundant" due to traffic. Every year I drive to see my dad in northern AZ. It's literally two roads for me: about 3.5-4 hours on I-40 and 1.5 hours on hwy 87. I use cruise control almost exclusively the whole way, only overriding to pass trucks that can't decide how fast they want to go. The first 4 hours of the drive are incredibly boring and usually very windy, so I have little interest in taking the bike because I hate slabbing. But if I did, I would certainly want electronic cruise on it. With ride-by-wire becoming the norm, cruise should be an easier and easier install on most bikes, if not just a factory standard.

I have no interest in the throttle lock varieties; having tried one, they make me extremely nervous. I want my cruise to cancel immediately with a slight tap of either brake, and the throttle lock varieties are shit, accounting for hills and wind.
    Chaostrophy, Podman and Don03st like this.
  16. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    I've had cc since 2001 on my 1800 Gold Wing. Then my Harley and now a Can Am. Those are my major touring bikes/trikes.

With arthritis in my wrists and thumbs I don't know if I could ride cross country without it. I have a NC 750 XD and use a throttle rocker. It works well and I live ten miles from Skyline Drive so I ride that and the BRP all year long. That's not cc country anyway. While I do some pretty long rides on the NC I know I could never do the mileage I do on the Harley or Spyder.
  17. giarcg

giarcg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed Rostra electronic cruise controls on my 1150RT and FJR.... wasn't easy but it was well worth it. 60k miles on my LT spoiled me... won't tour without cruise.
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I should calarify, my comments on cruise control from Car and Driver magazine preceeded any adaptive systems of today. A point was reached where I could simply no longer use it on my car. Technology has changed since then. I no longer have a car and don't have cruise on my motorcycle.
  19. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once I rented a goldwing with cc, I had to have it for the long distance riding. If the bike is throttle by wire, its negligence on the oem not to include it. Makes no sense not to. I really wanted the vfrx, the fuel range and lack of cc was the deal killer.
    fjer likes this.
  20. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    I upgraded from a Gen 1 Tenere to a Gen 2 Tenere, which came with cruise (my first bike with it). I ignored it for a while until I took a multi-state trip on the newer Tenere. I used it a few times to give my right shoulder a rest. The more I ride the bike, the more situations I find to use cruise control.

But, I use it much differently than in a car. In a car, I use it to drone away the miles and relax. I hardly ever use my cruise in the car on two lanes. On the bike I find I use it everywhere traffic volume is low, but usually in short duration. It is very nice to take a 30 second break from throttle twisting and have the bike maintain a constant speed on hills.

I have had throttle locks and I would rate them 75% as good as cruise for short duration. But cruise is wonderful when using it in hills.

I am at the point now where my bikes will always have TC and ABS, but could still live without cruise control. Given the choice though, it is a no brainer for me to get it.