Cruise control opinions

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by HLC, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Both my bikes have it.

I would not buy another bike without it. Period.
  2. jeffyjeff

jeffyjeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed an Audiovox vacuum/electronic cruise control on a 1998 Honda Pacific Coast. It worked great for short stretches of 10-15 minutes. I found that even with a remote vacuum cannister, the 800cc Honda V-twin didn't pull enough vacuum at freeway speeds for sustained operation. So after 10 minutes on the cruise, the speed would begin to drop. It was an annoyance...I would close the throttle to build vacuum, and be good for another 10-15. A bigger engine that could maintain freeway speed at a lower throttle position would probably not have that problem.
  3. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the things I miss about my former RoadGlide is the cc. I hardly ever turned it off.
  4. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder about adding a vacuum pump, get one from a auto salvage yard. Any number of cars have had them.
  5. Chaostrophy

Oddometer:
    This reminds me, I need to buy and install one! 10 hours a week at 75mph on the freeway, including 2 3.5h chunks.
  6. jeffyjeff

jeffyjeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    never thought of that. It would probably work well! Don't know how much vacuum a pump like that could pull, though. I think the servo unit of the Audiovox is probably designed for engine manifold vacuum - 16-22 in Hg.
  7. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    One of the reasons I got rid of my V-Strom was lack of cruise control. I had a throttle lock that worked OK for interstate use, but I knew deep down I wanted cruise control. The Super Tenere confirmed my suspicions. Now I'll never own a bike without it. Granted, this is for use on a long distance commute that is mostly interstate.
  8. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    What John said...

CC doesn't make sense to some riders until their fingers tingle, get numb, and in some cases the wrist starts to ache... doesn't matter if you're on the slab or some back road smelling the roses, but prolonged gripping of the throttle does that to some riders - even with breaks built into your route.

I have mild carpal tunnel as well and would not consider a big touring/ADV bike without CC or a throttle lock of some sort. When I was young, dumb and........ I just sucked it up... fast forward to the present and I am taking every precaution to prolong my riding days... until I can no longer grip the throttle and even then I'll probably consider getting a Polaris Slingshot...
    Chaostrophy and HLC like this.
  9. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you try adding a vacuum reserve cannister?
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  10. jeffyjeff

jeffyjeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I had one that I purchased from JC Whitney. In my original post, I referred to it as a "remote vacuum cannister" because it was located separate from the cruise control servo.
  11. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    Here in the West, CC really helps for extended riding trips. One gets used to it very quickly.
    Don03st likes this.
  12. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use it all the time on the FLTRU, as said before it helps keep me out of ticket trouble. I use smokeless tobacco while riding, play with the stereo, gps, etc, so having the cruise makes all of that easier as well. The only negative was getting too comfortable sitting on the rear seat leaning against the tour pack. Now I keep my soft sided cooler on the rear seat on longer rides so I can't do that. Oh yeah, the cruise is nice for reaching behind me to grab a cold drink out of the cooler too. :D

trip.jpg

Cooler has a flap on top for easy access. Spit bottle in handle of tank bag. I don't spit at speed. :lol3

13. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    Yup cruise control is very dangerous as it significantly reduces touring fatigue.
    Fatigue while touring causes shit to happen a long way from home.
    It does not help avoiding speeding tickets unless you set it less than 10 over...

My particular cruise control [ HD with throttle by wire] allows me to set the cruise at say 5 over the number on the sign and then I can ride up faster [usually a lot faster] on the throttle and when it's time to slow down for the oncoming traffic i just let off the throttle and it resumes the set point.
    Max cruise is 90 mph.
  14. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had mechanical throttle locks on various bikes for many years. Like it quite a bit. Mostly for the above mentioned reason, letting me relax my hand. I'd use it for even just a few seconds, letting me zip up my coat, flap my arm, etc.

I've got a bike now with electronic cruise control. Can't say I actually like it all that much. Mostly because as I go into a turn and lose a little speed from that action, it cranks up the throttle, which I don't generally want. Don't even like that on my cars.

Of the two, I prefer a throttle lock.
    HLC likes this.
  15. texag10

texag10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My tuono has it and I am a big fan of it. I use the bike for blasting around mountain roads, but when I'm on the highway to connect some fun sections CC is a great way to rest my right wrist and avoid going too fast.
  16. ishdishwishfish

ishdishwishfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It kept me from getting pinched. Hwy routes are set at 60mph in areas, 75mph on freeways--I set it at 7mph over the limit, sometimes 12 if everyone else is going crazy, I'm talking 100mph when I'm doing 82. I figure they're low hanging fruit and a distraction I'm just a motorcycle. Visiting my grandma on a heavily patrolled hwy I passed State Police doing 63 in a 55--no pullover. On same the way home I was pulled over by County camped out behind the world's smelliest manure throwing hog truck going 55 in 95 degree heat--he took pity on me I got a pass. Attgatt might've helped too.
    I love it everywhere--MI has a few 75mph limit signs--great for that for maintaining 80 plus. OH/IN/IL with cameras and heavy patrol routes where they have 65mph was great too, both those speeds fall in shift gray areas where it helps to keep a constant throttle. I even set it going through small town speed traps.
    HLC likes this.
  17. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    I always switch back to Manual Control when encountering turns. A quick tap on the rear brake pedal cancels CC as I twist up the throttle to match current RPMs.
  18. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Though it's a little weird I usually just leave the cruise control on riding sweepers these days. I used to tap the rear brake and manually throttle through the turns until a stater gave me a ticket when he radar'd me for doing 12 over coming out of a turn.
  19. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    I do a fair amount of medium (500 mile days) and long distance riding. I use both the Caterpillar O-Ring and a Go-Cruise lock. Both work great for a temporary relief to the throttle hand.

Having ridden my buddies S1kR and a K16GT, I'd welcome a bike with a true cruise control. I suspect it will become a normal feature on bikes with ride by wire throttles in the not too distant future.
  20. Chaostrophy

Oddometer:
    They are for making sure your vacuum brake booster has enough vacuum, so I'd think they'd work for this.