Cruiserworks or Daytona Urban boot experience

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JBuzzard, Feb 1, 2002.

1. JBuzzard

JBuzzard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market for a new set of waterproof bike boots, preferably fairly plain-looking and with reasonable crushproofing (steel toe, bottom plate, shin protection, etc.). And I need to be able to walk in them comfortably when off the bike.

- does anyone have any good or bad experiences with either the Cruiserworks boot or the Daytona Urban boot (these are the ones that I've seen or web-surfed that appeal to me aesthetically).

- any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    -james
  2. JBuzzard

JBuzzard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I got no response on this one but went and bought a pair of Daytona Urbans from Helimot in San Jose (www.helimot.com - they're the US import for Frey-Datona).

The boots are very well made (best leather boot I've ever owned), heavily armoured for something that doesn't make you look like an anime character, very comfortable (have worn them all day at the office with no break-in needed - they have a soft leather lining) and ran about $ 300 with tax for the non-goretex version. Plus they have that nice Mad-Max look to them (helps to counter the dorky Darien hi-viz I wear - i.e. "hey mister, are you a fireman?")...

One thing to note is that the sizes run large - I got a size 45 (they're from Germany so the sizes are European) and it's roomy - I normally would wear a 46 or maybe 47 (11.5 or 12 in US sizes).

With some pretreatment (Aquawax) they made it through a bunch of rain on 280 last week with no leakage - the goretex ones have a somewhat loose internal bootie thing so your feet are in that instead of the nice leather lining in the non-gortex ones - seemed not nearly as comfortable and supposed to be hot in the summer according to the salesperson (goretex was $ 50 more so I believed him - and he had a two-year old pair of them on his feet).

See:
    http://www.helimot.com/catalog/boots/boots_menu.html

-james[​IMG]
  3. Hotshot

Hotshot Def

Oddometer:
    Look nice, but how's the entry with the buckles and all?
  4. JBuzzard

JBuzzard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bottom buckles stay buckled but, yes, I have to do/undo the top ones to get them on and off - I thought this would be a major pain since I've been wearing station boots that have a zip up the laces (designed for fire station duty and very quick on/off). But I'm getting used to it, the buckling straps are very well-sewn double-thickness leather and supple so buckling is easy, and I KNOW they will not pull off in a high-speed slide. Also the straps have a 2nd heavy piece of leather under them that spreads the pressure of the strap over a wider area. Still zippers are easier and I'm not sure I'd want to land _on_ the buckle in a fall 'cause they are big.

The general feel in the top part is very comfortable because it has a dual top (two pieces, one nested inside the other) with a very hard armour piece inside the front one (would be great for soccer) and a softer leather piece around the back that makes walking and shifting fairly comfortable. The two straps below the top one (they wrap from one side of the front piece to the other) are some weird leather-like stretchy thing (neoprene laminate??) and snug the middle of the boot in (no buckles there). Buckled up, they fit down the pant legs of a two-piece Roadcrafter fine with no snags.

BTW, I found postings on usenet (I think) that said the cruiserworks boots were intolerable in warm weather (but very waterproof).

-james