*CSC 250cc RX-3 Cyclone

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Chad05gsa, Sep 3, 2014.

1. CrazyCarl

CrazyCarl The Eternal NooB

Oddometer:
    I've spoken with Steve Sneider, the owner of CSC, who feels confident the bike will pass EPA very shortly. ADVMoto will be looking to spend some time on a sample and let you know how it's going.

Also, asked about parts supplies and he says' parts have already been purchased and they will inventory. Maintaining consistent parts supplies and exceptional customer service has been the biggest failure of most every Chinese manufactured bike marketed in North America so far.

Another question would be why we haven't seen anything of this design from nearly any other manufacturer. The CCM 450 is about four times more expensive. Given a bump in displacement, a bike like this would fit the bill for what a lot of riders are asking for. The question is, where is it? What happened to the mid-sized adventure enduros? KLE500 anyone?

No bike is perfect, and its silly to compare a bike like this to models costing more than three times as much. I'm fortunate to have a 690 in the garage and love it, but it's not for everyone. A prudent rider could take the saved money and have some awesome times just about anywhere in the world.

Frank Voellm knows this well, here seen on his KTM390 in the Indian Himalayas...
    [​IMG]

CC
  2. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is unwise to ignore the awakening of a sleeping giant. :deal Zuo Zongshen is the founder of Zongshen Motorcycle Group. He wishes to expand his market outside Asia; the RX3 is an important part of his plan.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T0Fl3YfL5mM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. wolftrax

wolftrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Man, this guy is a trip. Reminds be a bit of the US management style of the 60's and 70's.
  4. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree; I wouldn't want to work for him. :lol3 However, he is definitely driven to increase the quality and the sales of his motorcycles. The RX3 is the result of his push to increase Zongshen sales internationally beyond Asia.
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    It's a good start for a Chinese manufacturer, hopefully they will continue development and tweak the bikes specs to get a better HP to weight ratio.
  6. wolftrax

Oddometer:

I was in operations management at UPS for 28 years. The managers meeting in the video brought back some not so pleasant memories. If Mr. Zongshen's style was used in the US today he would be sued for creating a hostile work environment. LOL
  7. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't bet against Zuo Zongshen. He is obviously a driven man. :deal

:lol3

Spud :beer
  8. wolftrax

Oddometer:

Just did a little weight/hp for a few 250's.

CRF250L. 15.7
    XT250. 15.9
    RX3. 14.5
    KLX250S. 14.9

So let's see here, the RX3 only has to move 14.5 lbs per hp. Looks like the rest of the herd needs to work on their weight/hp ratios.
  9. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's good research. :nod

I know from experience that Zongshen bikes are built very strong, with substantial frames and sub-frames. In fact, most Chinese motorcycles are used as workhorses throughout Asia, carrying very heavy loads of cargo and multiple passengers. :deal So the RX3 not only has the best power/weight ratio, it is also designed to carry adventure bike loads, unlike the other bikes on the list. If you add luggage to the other bikes, their power/weight ratio suffers even more, and their sub-frames are much more likely to fracture after extended heavy usage. :deal

Indeed, if one wants to speed down the interstate highways, he should choose a bike with a larger engine. :deal However, I enjoy riding dirt roads, and tertiary paved roads. Therefore, the NC250 engine is well suited to my minimalist touring style.

10. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention, besides the luggage and engine guards, the RX3 comes stock with a 4-gallon fuel tank. After spending money for luggage and a larger fuel tank, add another 2 gallons of fuel, and an additional 12 pounds of weight to the other bikes.

Although you need to wring it out, the NC250 engine has sufficient power for any necessary, short sprints on limited access highways. I would much rather tour with the Zongshen RX3 than the other 250cc bikes you listed.

11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Yes the rest of that herd is too porky also. Around town, 45mph back roads and on most forest roads that bike would work, get much outside that envelope and you'll be wishing for a couple hundred more CCs. I watched a stock KLX250 getting pushed up California pass which is a fairly moderate jeep road at altitude. 250cc at anything much over 300# is overweight in my book and I'm not taking into account the weight of any gear that gets hauled.
  12. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check your p.m.'s
  13. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did. There are no new ones
  14. Small's

Small's Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im suprised a the kawasaki 250 wouldnt make it up California Pass. The first time I went on a tw200 with a 3 tooth smaller rear sprocket and stock jetting and I made it barely. I went a month ago with two sizes smaller main jet and 1 tooth bigger rear than stock and it was a piece of cake. I dont think its that heavy considering the other bikes are basically dirt bikes. Thiss thing comes with bags/crash bars etc plus its geared more towards the adventure rider than the guy looking to tackle single track like Mt. Tilton or similiar stuff in Colorado.
  15. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. apleschu

apleschu Chief Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    What are you doing here? Trying to persuade the herd with facts? Since when does that work?
  17. apleschu

apleschu Chief Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    I hear folks complaining every day that a 250 with 24HP is not enough to be a really go everywhere bike and that 2 up that would be a real drag and what not.

Here is what I have to say to that: These folks do not seem to have the slightest clue what they are talking about. My first car had 26HP (coming out of 602cc) and those cars were the proverbial go everywhere. Go Sahara, go mountains, go wherever you damn well wanted. Nobody thought even twice. And now a bike with 1/5 of the weight and 2HP less, is too weakly? Seriously?

Oh, the car, yes, it was one of those:

[​IMG]

And put to that that the car was carburated and the bike is injected. I'll offer a bet $$$ to doughnuts 24HP as long as the engine is working is enough to climb every road in the US, two up fully loaded. You might not break a speed record, but that's not required.

Oh, yes and there is a whole forum dedicated to the RX3 http://rx3forums.com
    SlugRider likes this.
  18. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today is the last day of the CSC Open House and the last day of the $2895 deal. Tomorrow the price goes to $3495 (still a heck of a deal). Here's a review from one of the visitors yesterday...

http://2wheelevolution.weebly.com/blog

There's a lot more information at www.CaliforniaScooterCo.com/blog. Any questions, give us a call at 800 884 4173. We'll be here until 2:00 p.m. today. Ask for Joe (that's me) or my assistant, Steve.

[​IMG]
  19. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got on the list. For $2895, it's worth a shot. I sold my CRF250L and I had way more in it, than I will with this bike, and this bike already has the extras. :clap :freaky

It looks like a substantial and sturdy bike.
  20. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No matter how the bike turns out, it is pretty bold to bring it here in an open forum to take both praise and jeers from anybody with an opinion. That alone gives me an OK feeling about the company. Seems to be cool with mods, too, since they usually knock down any sales related stuff pretty quickly in this forum.