*CSC 250cc RX-3 Cyclone

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Chad05gsa, Sep 3, 2014.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a different note, my $5 CSC hat from their Fourth of July sale arrived the other day. It looks great sitting next to my Yamaha and SSR hats! Even better on my head.

Now I just need to get an rx3 to go with the hat!

Charles.
    JagLite, Pbro63 and Huck369 like this.
  2. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Has anyone heard when the RX4 will be delivered? I have put down a deposit and will sell the RX3 when the 4 is in my driveway.
  3. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shame on me...I called CSC yesterday about a technical issue with another bike and I was going to ask if the RX4 was on the water yet? However I ran out of time and did not get that question asked!

Hopefully CSC will provide an update. I think they are now a bit careful since shipping times can very widely and people used to track different ships trying to guess when it comes in? It was all pretty silly and ended up being bad information. So no doubt CSC is careful about shipping information now days!

I am thinking if they want to hit the end of July first part of August delivery window they would have to be on the water by now. Still what they are waiting for is not in CSC's hands but the government (China or USA) so they are likely waiting just like us. last I heard they were built, crated and waiting to be put on a boat. Just needed the federal compliance sticker or something like that!

BTW, also spoke to CSC about the minor clutch lever issue only an anal retentive person like me would be concerned with. Its so minor it was hard to explain but the service team looked at a unit they had in the shop. Same exact thing occurs on the unit they had and was deemed mostly normal and a none concern. Its way outside of the friction zone on the clutch. Basically the safety switch is a bit aggressive and pushes the hand lever off the perch about 2 or 3mm if that. When that occurs the lever on the engine goes forward a bit. Push your hand forward on the hand lever and the lever on the engine goes back a tiny bit. You an fix this via adjustment but then your clutch engagement is off from what I noticed. I suppose if you are really good you might be able to have it correct both ways but I was not able to successfully do it. CSC said in order to correct that you will need a spring down on the engine lever pushing it into the fully relaxed position. Some bikes have this by design. However it should not really be a problem how it is now. All its doing is taking up bit of loose slack on the clutch springs. Now if it was putting a lot of pressure on the clutch springs and the clutch was slipping that would be a problem but as it is its fine!
    JagLite and Huck369 like this.
  4. Working_Hardly

Working_Hardly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing specific, apart from what was reported on the CSC blog last month in the Overland Expo Recap - sometime in July. Assuming that hasn't changed, worst case scenario, the bikes come in July 31 and start showing up in pre-order customer's driveways starting around the middle of August.

That should still give most of us at least two months of nice weather to get the engines broke in and the bikes all farkled up.
  5. Jthewood

Jthewood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here’s a question....what do the RX3 folks think of the San Gabriel? I prescribe to the “fun to ride a slow bike fast” school of thought. Do you all think it applies to the San Gabriel, or, do you think it’s too small to be a player in a big category of bikes. I’m asking this group bc I’m considering getting an RX3 and not waiting for the RX4. With the 300 upgrade I’ve read all about it seems the RX3 does everything adequately enough and it saves about 75 lbs. Does that sound right?
    So, would current RX3 owners go get a San Gabriel, or, look for a small bike with bigger displacement?
    JagLite likes this.
  6. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I was stoked about the San Gabriel, but after reading up on it, seeing pictures with normal sized humans on it, and comparing specs, I decided against the sg250. It’s too small physically, and too under powered as well. I bought an SSR Buccaneer 250 instead. Still less power than the csc rx3, but dimensionally it’s a full sized motorcycle, and I don’t regret my decision at all. Any less power and the SSR wouldn’t be that much fun... and the sg250 has significantly less power.

Charles.
    Huck369, JagLite and Jthewood like this.
  7. Desert Denizen

Desert Denizen The least interesting man in the world

Oddometer:
    I spoke with CSC last week and was told they are in the CalEPA process. The certification was about 6 weeks out, so delivery near the end of August. The 49 state certification is already done. Ah, California, we are special in so many ways! I also understood the shipment is nearing the port but if history is any indication, they can "park" in the harbor for quite a while.
    pyoungbl likes this.
  8. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    The San Gabriel has the same 230cc pushrod engine that is in the TT250. I owned both the TT250 and RX3 for a short while. The TT was too underpowered for where I would be using it so I sold it pretty quickly. If I lived in an area where I could quickly get off road the TT would be a better choice (maybe doing the TAT?) since it's so light but here in an urban setting I was having to ride WFO nearly all the time. The SG would be the same, IMHO. Now, if I were commuting on a college campus the SG250 would be ideal. Just different horses for different courses.
    Huck369, Jthewood and JagLite like this.
  9. Desert Denizen

Oddometer:
    Although not specifically about the San Gabriel, a few TT 250 owners (same engine) have reported that the bike will redline in 5th gear and have gained top speed by dropping a couple of teeth (47) on the rear sprocket without harming the low speed grunt for trail riding.
    Jthewood and Huck369 like this.
  10. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the lowering link offered by CSC is shorter or longer then stock and how much? I am thinking of raising up the bike.
  11. Huck369

Huck369 Huckster

Oddometer:
    I believe shorter links, raise the bike...
    darmst6829 likes this.
  12. darmst6829

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't take much to change. I wonder how much for an inch?
  13. Huck369

Huck369 Huckster

Oddometer:
    I made a set for my XT250, and as I recall, it was about 3/8"or1/2" to lower 1" but each bike is a little different. ...Pretty sure CSC has a lowing like for the RX3
  14. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Hey how do the kenda big blocks last on the rx3? Especially with highway travel in the mix.

Charles
  15. darmst6829

Oddometer:
    Hey Charles, I cant speak to how long they last but I wouldn't recommend because the rear tire is to big for the motorcycle. Some owners report no clearance problems, mine rubs the air box on compression. Also I get a "weave" at around 60mph that wasn't there with the original tires. The Big Blocks are smooth for nobbies but again its a crap shoot.
    Huck369 likes this.
  16. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I’m really just asking because I want to know how the tire works on a smaller displacement bike. I’m wanting to run it on my SSR possibly, and won’t have clearance issues that you all have.

Charles.
  17. Huck369

Huck369 Huckster

Oddometer:
    A pic from my ride into work this morning..... IMG_3868.jpg
  18. Desert Denizen

Oddometer:
    Well, it just sucks to be you.:rofl:rofl
    Huck369 likes this.
  19. darmst6829

Oddometer:
    My brother Don, his son Ian and I had fun at the Sound RIDER "Rally in the Gorge" over 600 miles of mostly off road stuff with a few runs up the Maryhill loops road. I rode my RX3 at its maximum on the hill climb and actually caught a guy in full race leathers on a Ducati Panigale just before the end. Red line on an RX3 is 10500 RPM.
    https://davidarmstrong.smugmug.com/Rally-in-the-Gorge/i-k6jdDJx
  20. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Yeah, about that. I learned early on that the rev limiter is a bit above rated red-line. I've bounced off the limiter numerous times when not paying attention on the freeway, but I do try to keep it down to more reasonable revs.
    JagLite and darmst6829 like this.