*CSC 250cc RX-3 Cyclone

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Chad05gsa, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Huck369

Huck369 Huckster

Oddometer:
    i
    I finally got around to installing the 19" wheel I laced up....been a project on the back burner, but finally got around to it.......picture took today on my lunch break......the front hoop came from an old parts bike I had (A 1988 Honda NX250)

IMG_3906WD.jpg
  2. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still prefer a silver rim much more than the black ones most riders seem to like...
    PullingG's and Huck369 like this.
  3. Pbro63

Pbro63 csc RX3 250

Oddometer:
    Is that a narrower rim? How's it working out (how's the handling?) Having tried to lace a bicycle rim back in the day, I must say kudos to you for that is not an easy job to get the wheel to run true.
    Huck369 likes this.
  4. Huck369

Huck369 Huckster

Oddometer:
    It is a little narrower than the stock rim, seems to handle fine, might turn in a little quicker....and it was the first time I had laced a wheel, it took some time, but I did get it running true.

And I too prefer an aluminum rim, much lighter, and doesn't show scrapes as bad as a painted one does....if I run across a good rear aluminum hoop for cheap, I'll do it too.
    Pbro63 likes this.
  5. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done three motorcycle rims now, it's actually not that bad. A balance stand and a dial indicator. First get the wheel to run true vertically, and tighten all the spokes. Then loosen and tighten target spokes to bring the side-to-side trueness correct. First one took three hours, and I think I was down to under an hour by the third rim. It's a skill and a feeling you'll develop with a little practice. Also steel rims are easier than aluminum, they don't warp out of plane as much.

Charles.
    Pbro63 and Huck369 like this.
  6. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, also modify the balance stand so the axle can't walk sideways. Or you'll be fighting your dial indicator. That was part of the reason the first one took so much time. Once I realized the axle was walking to the side, I clamped a piece of metal onto the end to keep it from moving and all was well.

Charles
    Huck369 likes this.
  7. Pbro63

Pbro63 csc RX3 250

Oddometer:
    Had a chance to ride the RX4 last week and it was pretty sweet. It shares alot of characteristics with the RX3.
    *Its a heavy bike for its displacement but that's not a bad thing as it provides a stable confident ride.
    *Design build and components have alot of crossover which means its should be easy to wrench on. It feels and looks as though they have improved the build quality.
    *It controls vibration well although I think the RX3 is a tad smoother.

Upgrade? I think for alot of people yes. Its more distance, interstate and two-up worthy while retaining the ability to tool off road.

I'm happy though with my stripped down RX3 though and for what I use it for, back roads and rallies mostly, I'll hold on to it and continue to learn with and enjoy it. I've been test riding a wide variety of bikes lately, what a great time and place for dual sport adventure bikes.

Attended the Pahrump , NV rally this past weekend, 4 days of great camaraderie and riding. Here's a few pics of my first year RX3...alive and kicking.

DSCF8538.JPG DSCF9050.JPG DSCF9073.JPG
  8. Pbro63

Pbro63 csc RX3 250

Oddometer: