*CSC 250cc RX-3 Cyclone

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Chad05gsa, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Huck369

Huck369 Huckster

Oddometer:
    i
    I finally got around to installing the 19" wheel I laced up....been a project on the back burner, but finally got around to it.......picture took today on my lunch break......the front hoop came from an old parts bike I had (A 1988 Honda NX250)

IMG_3906WD.jpg
  2. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still prefer a silver rim much more than the black ones most riders seem to like...
    PullingG's and Huck369 like this.
  3. Pbro63

Pbro63 csc RX3 250

Oddometer:
    Is that a narrower rim? How's it working out (how's the handling?) Having tried to lace a bicycle rim back in the day, I must say kudos to you for that is not an easy job to get the wheel to run true.
    Huck369 likes this.
  4. Huck369

Huck369 Huckster

Oddometer:
    It is a little narrower than the stock rim, seems to handle fine, might turn in a little quicker....and it was the first time I had laced a wheel, it took some time, but I did get it running true.

And I too prefer an aluminum rim, much lighter, and doesn't show scrapes as bad as a painted one does....if I run across a good rear aluminum hoop for cheap, I'll do it too.
    Pbro63 likes this.
  5. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done three motorcycle rims now, it's actually not that bad. A balance stand and a dial indicator. First get the wheel to run true vertically, and tighten all the spokes. Then loosen and tighten target spokes to bring the side-to-side trueness correct. First one took three hours, and I think I was down to under an hour by the third rim. It's a skill and a feeling you'll develop with a little practice. Also steel rims are easier than aluminum, they don't warp out of plane as much.

Charles.
    Pbro63 and Huck369 like this.
  6. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, also modify the balance stand so the axle can't walk sideways. Or you'll be fighting your dial indicator. That was part of the reason the first one took so much time. Once I realized the axle was walking to the side, I clamped a piece of metal onto the end to keep it from moving and all was well.

Charles
    Huck369 likes this.
  7. Pbro63

Pbro63 csc RX3 250

Oddometer:
    Had a chance to ride the RX4 last week and it was pretty sweet. It shares alot of characteristics with the RX3.
    *Its a heavy bike for its displacement but that's not a bad thing as it provides a stable confident ride.
    *Design build and components have alot of crossover which means its should be easy to wrench on. It feels and looks as though they have improved the build quality.
    *It controls vibration well although I think the RX3 is a tad smoother.

Upgrade? I think for alot of people yes. Its more distance, interstate and two-up worthy while retaining the ability to tool off road.

I'm happy though with my stripped down RX3 though and for what I use it for, back roads and rallies mostly, I'll hold on to it and continue to learn with and enjoy it. I've been test riding a wide variety of bikes lately, what a great time and place for dual sport adventure bikes.

Attended the Pahrump , NV rally this past weekend, 4 days of great camaraderie and riding. Here's a few pics of my first year RX3...alive and kicking.

DSCF8538.JPG DSCF9050.JPG DSCF9073.JPG
  8. Pbro63

Pbro63 csc RX3 250

Oddometer:
  9. Triple T Ranch

Triple T Ranch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a part number for a set of bark busters that does not require chopping the levers up to get them to fit proper?
  10. Working_Hardly

Working_Hardly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a thread bump and status report on a few winter projects:

I've decided to convert the RX3 over to a RX4 handle bar and clutch perch, in order to utilize the adjustable clutch lever that they sell on AliExpress. You can see them here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_53

They come in a long and a short style; the only problem with them is that the boss that actuates the clutch switch does not actually make contact with the switch, so you need to fit a piece to thicken it and close the gap. I don't have an issue with the brake lever; but with the clutch lever, when the clutch is properly adjusted to find neutral easily, it puts the lever all the way out, with no way to adjust it back in without messing with the clutch cable, and messing up the clutch adjustment again. Lever reach adjusters is something that I think CSC and Zongshen should be putting on the RX3 as stock, since control ergonomics are such an important consideration and it would help to put the bike ahead of its competition.

With the RX4 handle bar, I will also be able to fit RX4 end weights and get a little handle bar vibration reduction. My second batch 2015 handle bar is too small in diameter internally to fit the end weights that come on the 2016 and up RX3's, so I would have to either drill both ends out, or just fit another handle bar anyway. I like the painted matte finish of the later RX3/RX4 handle bars as well, versus my chrome one. The RX4 handle bar will also allow the fitting of these hand guards, for weather protection, that work while also accommodating the end weights:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32325347015.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.4b473c0073ymDz&mp=1

I just installed these on my RX4 and like them a lot. They do not have any metal reinforcement, so they will break in a fall off road, but my primary use for my bikes is road riding, so this will not be an issue for me. I'm after weather protection primarily, to increase the effectiveness of my heated grips and reduce, or eliminate, the need to fit hand grip covers in the winter. And at $10.44 with free shipping, they are a whole lot less expensive than the GIVI HP4103 guards that I have on my Versys 650 ABS, see them here:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-hp4103-handguards-bmw-g310r-kawasaki-versys-650-1000-z900

I will grant that they are very effective, protecting against wind and rain extremely well. Which they had better, since they cost $134. But I did not feel like spending that much for simple plastic guards for the RX3 and RX4, hence the AliExpress guards.
    Huck369, Jay_In_Milpitas and JagLite like this.
  11. Triple T Ranch

Oddometer:
    Did CSC stop selling the front brake upgrade kit?
  12. Working_Hardly

Oddometer:
    I just had a look at CSC's website, under the Accesories section, and I'm not seeing it listed anymore. So, the answer is probably yes, but I would advise you to give them a call to confirm that. When it was available, it retailed for $300.
    Jay_In_Milpitas likes this.
  13. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Send them an e-mail?
  14. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ they won't be restocking any because the new bikes have ABS
  15. ScooterJon

ScooterJon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, it looks like this forum has dropped off quite a bit. I’ve been reading from the beginning but am only up to page 70. Figured I would jump ahead to post my question and then go back to reading. Anyway, I’m curious if you guys think the RX3 would be a reasonable fit for me.

A little backstory...I bought my first bike last year, 2018 Honda CB500F ABS. It was a bad fit for me. The seat is too tall and the pegs are right where my legs try to reach the ground, causing me to drop it a few times with its top heaviness. My hands go numb even around town, despite adding bar risers. The naked design provides way more wind turbulence then I expected. I’ve added a windshield and it helped “some” but not nearly enough. The bike is just too uncomfortable to ride at speeds over 65. I originally was attracted to the bike for the reliability, ease of maintenance, looks, and big gas tank to allow longer distance travel. I have a scooter for around town fun. Anyway, I’ve decided lowering the bike to fix the fit issue still won’t satisfy the wind and numb hand issues so I’m going to sell the bike. I find myself avoiding riding it and have only put 400 miles on it in 10 months so it’s time for it to go.

The RX3 grabs my attention because it’s a touring style bike with better wind protection and I assume they can install a lowering link before shipping the bike which is a nice plus (I’m 5’5”, 28” inseam by the way). I appreciate its more manageable weight (especially with the side cases off). What gives me pause is the tube tires and not actually sitting on the bike before buying. Would someone of my height be able to sit straight up? I hate the slight forward lean on my CB and believe that’s what causes the numb hands. Are the pegs slightly forward, so they don’t get in the way of your legs? I don’t really have any plans of going off road but there’s few options in the small “touring” class. Other bikes I’m considering is Kawasaki X300, Vulcan S, and Honda Rebel. The Kawasaki is most like the RX3. The other bikes are nice and low but they still have wind management issues for highway cruising, although the cruiser design works better with tall windshields then my CB would. If I can’t find the right bike, I may just give up and go to a bigger scooter.
    Jay_In_Milpitas likes this.
  16. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Hi Jon. Having a 32" inseam I am not qualified to give you feedback. However we do have a wide range of rider sizes that are quite happy with the bike. If you are on FaceBook, you may be able to get an answer more quickly. If you want to message me, I think I can give you links that way.
    Now, it just might be true that a larger scooter like a Burgman 650 is more to your needs, but that's a lot of money.
    Let me know.
    Huck369 likes this.
  17. Triple T Ranch

Oddometer:
    Ok, i'm done reading 100 threads and still cant find a decent answer. I'm looking for a set of hand guards for the RX3 that does not require cutting the heck out of everything to make them fit. I've seen some nice barkbuster setups but cant locate prt numbers ect..
  18. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huck369 likes this.
  19. Working_Hardly

Oddometer:
    I believe that the RX3, with a lowering link, will fill the bill nicely for you, as long as you are OK with a 250cc engine. It's fine for two lane highways (55-65 mph), but is lacking in power for interstates. You'll be confined to the right lane on those; a RX4 or the Versys 300 X would be a better choice if interstates are your main intended usage . I'm 5'9", with a 29" inseam and I have the tall Seat Concepts seat, which raises you up about an inch higher than the stock seat, and I can get the balls of both feet down when stopped, or one foot completely flat, if I cant my rear off to one side of the seat or the other. The foot pegs do not interfere with my legs. I do experience a little bit of wind turbulence off of the stock windscreen, to the top of my helmet, but my torso is longer than yours by three inches and my seat raises me a further inch beyond that; I suspect that you will sit down under the windscreens slipstream more than I do, so less buffeting on your helmet, if any at all. I solved my buffeting with the addition of a small, adjustable windscreen extender, that clamps on to the top edge of the windscreen and raises the slipstream up. There are tons of them for sale on Amazon, which is where I got mine. Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-W...cle+windscreen+extender&qid=1578669336&sr=8-3

Ergonomically, you shouldn't have any problem sitting straight up, unless you arms are really short. If so, they make bar risers that rotate back and forth, which will allow you to bring the handle bar back toward you, if that is what you need. Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Rox-Speed-FX...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You may have to re-route the clutch and throttle cables, depending upon how much you raise the handle bar.
    ScooterJon and JagLite like this.
  20. Working_Hardly

Oddometer:
    Some info here:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15860&highlight=hand+guard
    Huck369 and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.