CSC City Slicker

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by gatling, Jun 5, 2018.

1. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Road Slick into work again this morning. Its quickly becoming the preferred way to get to work. Its just such a simple and easy to use package and you don't get stinky exhaust fumes on your work clothes unless you get behind a diesel. Now that is functioning well I am now working on technique trying to increase range. Speed and hills definitely run the battery down. So I worked on accelerating slower and trying to go a little more true to the speed limit. The rush of electric power is thrilling but range is the name of the game. By just accelerating slower and sticking to the speed limit I managed to make my 10 mile run consuming only 30% of the power. 100% down to 70%!

I am thinking about changing my route a bit next time I ride into work? I can go a different way which is actually slightly longer at 11 miles but its slightly less flat and instead of being on a 35 MPH main road you are on a 25 MPH residential road and that road is very strictly enforced so everyone goes 25 MPH. Only thing is I will have to make a left turn on a busy road with no traffic lights. So I heard you get to wait awhile so I don't know how it will work out in reality? Won't know until I try it!

Its my goal to get to work at 25% and back home at 25% so using 50% of the power. I doubt its possible but with a refined technique I think I can get close!
    accurate likes this.
  2. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope - I try to avoid roads like that with unprotected left turns. Ain't worth it!

Reading these updates about the controller and battery fixes has me thinking I could actually use one of these for running to work and back. Heck, might even run it at the mini-bike tracks if I have extra batteries
  3. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I typically know better and its why I am not going that way currently. Trying to take an uncontrolled left turn in this town is borderline suicide. If people stick to the speed limits many times they design traffic flow to allow gaps so people can get out. The problem is the majority drive like Mario Andretti so those gaps close up. Sometimes when you do get a gap you quickly learn that the car that is coming is going 60 MPH instead of the posted 35 MPH so you are forced to twist it and give it all its got just so you don't get creamed!

Off the line Slick is actually really fast. Faster then many ICE bikes even bigger ones. Even then its risky so I avoid those pesky uncontrolled left turns. So does UPS from what I hear!
    falcn and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  4. accurate

accurate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have pictures of the black City Slicker? Deciding between that and the blue one.
  5. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think its out yet so try the CSC Facebook page. I remember they posted a few pics up there. It looks very sharp in my opinion!

I think it will also be 100% fixed from the factory making it a wise choice.

Last night I road Slick home. This time used 28% power so 70% down to 42%. I always seem to use a little less power going home then coming into work. I think its a combination of things. The temps are warmer then in the morning and I think its slightly more down hill then coming into work. Traffic was fairly light so I spent a good amount of time going 46 MPH down the highway. I do take the alternative route going home which I can spend a lot more time in ECO mode. Notice I get a lot more ReGen action when in ECO mode. I actually gained 1% going down a moderately steep hill at 35 MPH in ECO mode. It was went from 52% down to 51% briefly and then as I was going down the 3/4 mile long hill towards the bottom it jumped to 52% again. So ReGen does actually work however just by how much it really helps is hard to say? As soon as I got down to the bottom it went back to 51% as I started moving again and then a 1/4 mile down the road went to 50%.

I sent my original controller back to CSC and they reprogrammed it with a slightly tweaked ECO setting over the prototype unit I was testing. I was originally going to wait until a cold and rainy fall day to change it out but I am getting more curious now? Might swap it this weekend or at least into the next week!

I did notice a minor lurch and clunk noise when I hit ReGen going down the steep 1/4 mile hill. So I better inspect those motor and front sprocket mounts as advised by CSC!
  6. BMoney

BMoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I paid a little more attention to my commute this morning and there is a bit of loss in performance on the back half. In long flat stretches where I would have probably reached 50 mph, it would only do like 45. I ran it all the way down and you don't notice much more loss until it get around 8%. I've now cycled it enough that the cpu is very accurate. Oh, and the aggressive engine re-gen thing only seems to happen on downhills, above 50 mph and all I do is give it a little throttle and that seems to stop it. It doesn't do it very often at all, but it is random and kinda jarring.
    Ogre_fl likes this.
  7. BMoney

BMoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    accurate likes this.
  8. accurate

accurate Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. BMoney

BMoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I had planned on blacking out everything with a mix of gloss and matte. But then I thought about visibility and left some white in there. I used plasti dip, which is like a rubberized spray paint. It’s pretty durable and peels right off if you don’t like it or want to change it up. 1,500 miles and it’s held up great except for the lid to the tank has a spot that rubbed away due to opening and closing. I’m pretty sure I can just spray some more on it and it will fuse with the old stuff.
  10. the_arrow_LA

the_arrow_LA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ugh! I went for a ride on Sunday to the beach and came back at 60%. Today (2 days later) the Slicker's battery wouldn't engage (that deep sleep crap). I had to walk my bike to nearest outlet to get it to turn on. It read 0% and charging and then jumped to 60% and charging. I thought the new controller fixed this - no? Thoughts and suggestions?
  11. topaz024

topaz024 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ugh :( what do csc say about this?!? it's like the ice equivalent of a starter that randomly decides to not work--a deal-breaker if they can't get it sorted!
  12. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the same issues many have had with the battery. This particular issue has nothing to do with the controller but with the batteries BMS system inside the battery shell. Its a necessary safety device so the battery does not go thermal. Unfortunately they came from the factory set very aggressively to the point the battery would randomly shut down after a short ride. Plugging the charger in jumpstarts the battery but unfortunately you may not have 120 VAC accessible when it fails.

CSC does have a fix for this. It involves cracking open the battery case and reprogramming the battery. They have done enough of them they are pretty good at it now. I would contact CSC. You have the option of stopping by the shop since you are in LA or if that is a long ways (LA is also huge) they can ship you a box to mail the battery back to them and then they will ship it back. They cover shipping both ways!

I have not had the issue again since having my battery updated. Granted its only been a few weeks but I have not heard any more talk from those that have had the batteries updated. Definitely worth the inconvenience over a battery that randomly decides to take a day off!

Edit: I was going to ride Slick today but I crashed before getting it on the charger. So I had to ride a gasoline bike today :-(
  13. aneess

aneess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I must be the only one but my bike's performance definitely starts deteriorating when I go below 70%. Pretty far from the 8% mentioned in this thread. My top speeds are lower and it's not as zippy.
  14. TheCaptNemo

TheCaptNemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think everyone notices some decrease below 70% just not anywhere near as much as with the old controller. What sort of speeds are you getting? I'm able to get above 40mph all the way down to around 20% which I'm happy with
    apostate likes this.
  15. aneess

aneess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I usually plug it in when I hit 50% or so but I recall hitting low 30s in power mode when I go close to (or below) 30%. No ability to climb hills (even smaller ones). I have the latest controller and battery updates. I should probably test it again.
    I am also going to send in my controller so that they can flash it with the gradual/less agressive eco mode.
  16. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I notice a slight as in very slight drop off below 70% but its very gradual and hardly noticed. Below 70% it tops out at 46 MPH whereas above 70% I can reach 50 MPH. Below about 50% give or take my top speed becomes about 43 MPH unless I am going down a hill and I notice a tiny bit more lag but its nothing like how it was on the old controller. I am a big guy at 235 lbs "Last Time I checked" and with the garbage my doctor has me on I am probably heavier then that now. Despite the weight I actually find the City Slicker to be better in many situations then Honda's Grom or Monkey which I own as well. Only the Grom and Monkey can go faster down hill (maybe 65 or 70) but the City Slicker can climb a hill better then they can with the new controller programming. On the old programming not so much and maybe only when the battery was freshly charged above 90%!

In my opinion its mostly just nature of the beast. I bet many electric bicycles have the same affect unless its a fancy expensive model. Something like a Zero is likely more regulated in its power delivery. Technology probably exist that will smooth out these power transitions but not yet available at the price point Slick sells for. I am sure you get a lot on a Zero for about 15K more money!

I would actually like to see CSC/Zongshen work on a bigger full size electric bike at some point and I bet they will. It would sell for approximately 6K to 7K and have a 10 or 12 KW motor plus the biggest battery you could fit in the thing. It would be able to reach 80 MPH and be good for a real world 100 miles (obviously not at 80 MPH but lets say 50 MPH). I think the technology already exist for such an animal and price point. Several companies have produced prototypes but most have become or will become vaporware. Not so much because of manufacturing but distribution. Many are trying to build a dealer network and that is really not how its done now days.

The CSC City Slicker as given me a small taste of what an electric bike has to offer and I like it. The fact that I can get to work and back home without burning any fuel is pretty cool. I have yet to notice any meaningful increase in my electric bill. As they say using the City Slicker is a wash with everything else using electricity so it just kind of blends in.
  17. BMoney

BMoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have about the same performance as longhaul. On long hills it will struggle to maintain 36mph, maybe 32 if the battery is low. I had to commute to a different location this past weekend and hit a hill that I could only get 32. I was able to go down that hill going home and hit 57. I'm really happy to hear the performance is better than the Grom for the most part, as I was considering that bike as well. I do wish it had more range or a way to charge it faster, hopefully someone will figure something out.
  18. BMoney

BMoney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As for the aggressive regen breaking issue, most of you probably figured this out, but for those who haven't, or are considering purchasing. Above 40mph the regen breaking can be fairly aggressive, but that's if you throttle way down or totally release the throttle (at least on my bike). I've found if I slowly down throttle, it still slows the bike down, just not nearly as aggressive. I haven't had this happen since I started paying attention to it. There is no "coasting" on these bikes, or at least not above 40. I now view the aggressive regen breaking as a kinda of an assist with emergency breaking. So if I'm doing 57mph down a hill and needed to break really fast, I would release the throttle and already be breaking before I even touch the front breaks.
    accurate likes this.
  19. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Road Slick into work this morning. It was a fast commute and had a few BMW's behind me on some of the slower roads forcing me to kick my speed up a tad. I arrived at work at 68% today!

Its getting a tad bit chilly in the wee hours of the morning now. Not very many good riding mornings left at least on a bike like Slick :(
  20. TheCaptNemo

TheCaptNemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha- it was 84 degrees when I got to work at 8am, plenty of warm days left for riding :) Not looking forward to the ride home since its over 100 outside right now.