1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

CSC City Slicker

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by gatling, Jun 5, 2018.

1. bhappy

bhappy n00b

Oddometer:
    I like the size and weight of the city slicker. I am on the short side, so it feels comfortable and safe for me. Some folks joke with me about the smaller wheels, but this is not an issue for me. The other day while waiting at a red light I had a conversation with a young fellow who told me he owned a Grom, and he seemed quite fascinated with the city slicker :)
    Jay_In_Milpitas likes this.
  2. Against88

Against88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi!
    a while back i got excited about electric bikes and motos and while i was on tour contemplated building an ebike but realized i was looking at 1200+ for the donor bike, batteries, and hub motor, and i’d probably not be much past 20mph 20 mile range. i ended up finding a honda cj360 for $600 so the bug passed... now i’ve been down the rabbit hole this past week+, catching up on this whole thread and micah’s videos and other videos etc. got pretty excited when a friend picked up an sg250 and i first learned about csc. i live in LA but spend a few days a week in the san bernardino mountains and realized i pass right by the CSC show room regularly. so i stopped in for a test ride (red 2019 model, i was looking at the 2019 blue version since they are on sale, $2650 out the door after CA tax etc)

at 6’2” ish the size is small but i’m fine with it. my little honda elite50 is a blast to ride around town. the torque reminded me of the first electric bike i rode. surprising right off the line, but there did seem like a lack of responsiveness. seemed like there was slow medium and fast. (i was mostly going “fast”), during a roll on from 1/2 or 2/3 throttle to 100/% seemed the same, the bike just continued slowly creeping up from whatever speed. there were also quite a few spots where the throttle seemed twitchy, like i couldn’t hold it at the speed i wanted , she was moving from fast to medium and back/binary. range was pretty much as reported, i went from 76% to 66% and rode exactly 3 miles, so for spirited riding that puts the range at a theoretical 30 miles , but obviously that would trail off at lower power levels. seems as reported, but the reality of range anxiety did set in when i thought about how quickly that 10% went by. my biggest concern though was from the front fork, it was extremely soft. not sure if i remember that being mentioned much, but the bike didn’t feel stable at all, and perhaps the demo/test drive model has been abused or joy ridden with bigger riders? but it definitely gave me the feeling that it was more toy than small motorcycle. not sure if my expectations were too high because everyone else’s reviews were positive (because they had their low expectations exceeded) but i definitely left thinking i couldn’t justify it for scooting around town (i don’t have a commute to use this as a purely functional device)

just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. i’m really looking forward to one day owning an electric moto!
  3. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing your impression. Did you report your concern about the front end to CSC before you left? It may be merely a "service needed" issue.
  4. Against88

Against88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i spoke to the guy who went for the test ride with me about the forks. he said you could change the springs or use heavier oil. perhaps its just a sign that the brakes are way better than my 50cc honda elite (disc vs drum, so i'm sure they are). i'm 160 at worst so i'd love to hear if anyone else is experiencing significant fork dive when braking.
  5. Dukestir

Dukestir n00b

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, you rode a City Slicker that hadn't been updated with the latest motor-controller program! The snatchy throttle response issue you reported has been solved on the 2020 models.
  6. skyungjae

skyungjae That's my purse! I don't know you!

Oddometer:
    It's strange that their demo bike wouldn't have the most recent programming if it's a huge improvement over the previous.
    RCmoto likes this.
  7. bhappy

bhappy n00b

Oddometer:
    Which ones did ship with the updated controllers? I bought the 2019 black one which was shipped to me in September if I recall correctly.
  8. Dukestir

Dukestir n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was an oversight to let you ride that old shop demo. You should spin around again and try out a 2020 to learn how much better it is.
  9. Dukestir

Dukestir n00b

Oddometer:
    Yours should have the most recent tuning. Are you happy with its throttle response?
  10. bhappy

bhappy n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm happy with it, seems smooth and predictable to me. This is my first motorcycle, so I have nothing to compare to, but it works fine for me. I did not get a chance to ride much before the weather turned cold, so looking forward to more riding and testing when it warms up here. For example I dont think I ever reached the max advertised speed yet, but i did not ride after a full charge.
  11. Dukestir

Dukestir n00b

Oddometer:
    Then you probably have the latest software tuning. Hope it warms up for you soon so you can get more miles on it!
  12. Against88

Against88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i was told by the gentleman on the floor that the 2019 (which is on sale, $2600 out the door, vs i'm guessing closer to $3300 for the 2020) is the same in every way to the 2020 aside from color. while i think its probably MOSTLY true, the test ride on the 2019 and seeing a 2020 in the shop area (and confirmation from the guy in the shop) indicate that the 2020 has a different keyed lock for the battery (2020 lock is on the battery bar, older version is a lock toward the rear of the bike which actuates a cable release, like a car hood possibly?) and apparently there's a minor power routing difference where the old models charge through the wiring harness then back to the battery, where as newer models jump straight to the battery. neither is a huge difference, but when you're looking to buy something and you specifically ask about differences, it would be nice to hear them rather than have them glossed over.

i also specifically asked if the controller updates from micah in boston (i did my home work and read 48 pages of threads plus youtube videos etc) were new physical units or just firmware type updates, the saleman confirmed that it was all firmware and all the 2019's had the newest version and were all the same as the 2020s. now if they wanted me to buy a 2019 with the new controller firmware, but put me on a 2019 demo/test ride model that DIDNT have the updates... that's just bizarre and dumb. plausible, but who does that? if anything you'd think the someone would replace steel washers with aluminum and use helium in the tires to make the test ride version 0.01% lighter/faster to sucker people into buying.

its sometimes hard to get re-excited about something but i do pass by a few times a month so maybe i'll swing back in sometime.
    RCmoto and skyungjae like this.
  13. TheCaptNemo

TheCaptNemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    City Slicker- 1 year update!

So It's been about a year since I bought mine. (I know cause I just stuck the new registration sticker on it) I managed to hit over 3000 miles today. I have added the rear rack, different mirrors and a new rear tire(something took a chunk out of the one it came with- roads around here are in pretty bad shape) and I added the controller upgrade. CSC replaced the charger for me when it died after about 6 months(hope the new one lasts longer) Over all i'm really happy with it. Most days I drive about 20miles(9.6 to work and back) and I have enough charge to stop at the store or run to the bank etc. Today I deliberately went for a slow drive (kept it in eco mode) had lunch at Ethels Corral and did about 40miles before I got home(just in time it was starting to rain a little)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]https://captnemo.smugmug.com/Places/California/Kern-County/Kern-County-February-2020/
  14. bhappy

bhappy n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update and pics. Do you find the range on a charge to be 30-40 miles as had been reported? Also, does performance change or battery drain accelerate when the charge is below 20 or 30%? I ask because when I last rode mine, it lost power fast below 30% and I got stuck on the road. Now I'm worried about riding below that threshold.
  15. TheCaptNemo

TheCaptNemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most days I ride 23-25miles and return home with around 36-38%. Temperature and traffic make a difference- the more traffic the slower I go and so the more charge I have, as it gets closer to 0c/32f I get less charge but since it doesn't get much below that here I've only seen a couple percent drop.
    Yesterday I did approx 40 miles- arrived home with 22% and didn't notice any appreciable drop in performance. Of course I was in eco mode so it tops out at around 35 in that mode. During the week I drive in performance mode to keep up with traffic. I think it helps that Bakersfield is mostly flat.
  16. bhappy

bhappy n00b

Oddometer:
    That seems to be pretty a good range for the battery use. I happily rode the other day, about 21 miles, used 54% of battery charge. I tried to keep it in eco mode, switching to sport for the roads with higher speed limit (which the cars like to exceed by 5-10mph). I've read that the speedometer is a bit optimistic, and when I rode by a roadside speed detector, it shows 3 mph less than the speedo.
  17. mvlrider

mvlrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread on a commuter motorcycle. This bike is so close to making a great EV commuter for even more rural city’s/towns. I only need 30 miles on any given day at the very very most. The downfall is I really do need 50-55mph. There’s a road on the way to work while posted 45 ...the reality is you need 50-55 for those few miles. I watched my speed the last week and I was running right around 50 on that road with traffic between lights. Sure I can go the “backway” but not everyday as it adds significant time to the commute. Admittedly I’m not in a big city which is the design purpose. Super exciting to see EV’s come so far. My wife works about 1.5 miles from our house and commutes most nice weather days on an ebicycle...and I’m jealous. I feel like an entry of a low cost motorcycle with just a little more speed is right around the corner. :)
  18. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    I guess the question here would be how much are you willing to spend to get that speed range? I am ignorant on e-cycle mods but know just enough that things can be changed to alter performance, either distance or speed.
    In some cases, both.
    mvlrider likes this.
  19. Dukestir

Dukestir n00b

Oddometer:
    Love to hear about the milestone on your Slick! Glad you're enjoying your time on it!
  20. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looks like a great little bike and inexpensive. Even cheaper than my Sur Ron Light Bee. I wonder if I can wheel one of those into my van. Should change out that halogen bulb for a LED bulb like a Cyclops, would save you some electrons. Would love to take one out on a kart track.

How is the drivetrain doing?