1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

CSC City Slicker

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by gatling, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    They are listing the weight at 216 lbs, but don't state if that's wet or dry weight. ;)
    Their Wiz step-through e-scooter is listed at 200 lbs. So I don't know if you can manage the van loading. How does your Sur Ron compare to the CSC FT750?
  2. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a little excited when I saw there was an FT750 listed on the CSC site.
    Original thoughts was a perhaps a street legal version of this:

[​IMG]

Not this:
    I guess they are in the affordable e-bike market now.

[​IMG]
  3. Chris J

Chris J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FYI, I was doing my taxes today and checking into the Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit, form 8936. I am not an accountant, but I believe the City Slicker does *not* qualify for this credit because the battery is too small: 2.1 KWh versus the required 2.5 KWh.

If someone wants to correct me on this, please do!

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8936

(I also posted this on the FB CSC City Slickers Owners Group)
  4. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its Funny it does not qualify for that federal credit but here in the state of Washington it qualifies for the $150 electric vehicle fee you must pay when you renew your tabs. This is to cover lost gasoline tax revenue which is a load of trash because if the City Slicker burned fuel it would only spend about $12 a year in gasoline tax if you ride it 15,000 miles a year. I did not renew my tabs this year and will take my chances. I am not going to pay $350 a year to license something like the City Slicker. Hopefully in the future something comes a long to fix this. Something already did but the state called fowl on it and won't implement it!
    Jay_In_Milpitas likes this.
  5. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Wow! Have you reached out to your government representatives? You know, those elected to look after our best interests?
  6. Chris J

Chris J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree, paying more than 10% of the cost of the bike every year for registration is really crazy.
  7. bhappy

bhappy n00b

Oddometer:
    I recently called csc about this, they confirmed that it does not qualify for the credit
    Chris J likes this.
  8. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I thought scooters are exempt?
  9. TheCaptNemo

TheCaptNemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about Washington but here in California it was registered as a motorcycle not a scooter. My registration was more then for my Boulevard which really didn't make sense to me. Still nice driving to work without buying gas so I don't regret it.
  10. fervernt

fervernt n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, been lurking on this thread for awhile now, I bought my 2019 slicker back in February when it was on sale (I assume they were trying to get rid of extra stock because I got a heck of a deal). I have a couple questions that I haven't been able to find an answer to on here. Has anyone found an actual fix for the rear wheel lockup when you're "coasting" down a hill? It freaked me out the first time I felt it, and now I know to expect it and to feather the throttle to mitigate it, but I still don't like it. It seems to be a pretty regular thing for me, from what I've seen on this thread the controller should be the upgraded one in a 2019 right? Is there a way to see firmware version or anything to confirm that? Other then that, I love the bike, it's my first motorcycle, I didn't want to spend a ton of money to learn to ride. Only other problem I've had is my charger already failed, but CSC is sending me a new one, and their customer service seems to be really good, at least from the interaction I had with them yesterday.
    Branch run likes this.
  11. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply. I am a little behind with some threads because of the current chaos!

As far as I know anything that is electric and is plated has to pay the additional $150 fee. I think as of right now because the DOL offices are closed and you can't renew tabs law enforcement is currently looking the other way. I have 3 bikes with tabs that are expired and I have been riding around no problem. Probably luck more then anything else but a motorcycle license plate is hard to see and on half of mine the plate frame blocks the month tab and has for years. Never been pulled over to verify the month on my plate even after years. As long as the year sticker says 2020 and you are not violating the law you can probably get away with it. Unscientific observation of coarse!

Not much new with the City Slicker. It was so cold over the winter I did not bother. Its primary purpose is a commuter and I am laid off currently over Covid 19 plus the tabs are expired. Its finely warm enough now that I may break it out soon. I certainly have plenty of time now!
  12. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    I think that question would be better asked to CSC when they open back up on Tuesday. I have not read anything about that problem.
  13. aneess

aneess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think they've addressed this specific issue in their latest controller update. The best way to see when your controller was last updated it is to look at the sticker on it. There should be a date. There is no other way to know the controller version as far as I know.

I finally found the time to replace my controller today. I got it last fall but never got the chance to replace it. As far as I know, it's the latest city slicker controller that reduces power in eco mode (which hopefully will lead to more range).
    I took it for quick spin and it seems to work as designed. Eco mode is now more manageable and power mode works the same way. I will take it for a longer ride later today and report back. I am excited to be riding the city slicker a little more now that it's warmer. It's the best way to social distance ;-)
  14. aneess

aneess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got a chance to ride the bike a little more in the past couple of weeks with the latest controller and I like it! It's nice to have two different modes. I finally did get the hard braking issue at high speeds (weird regen?) but I also got the opposite where the bike would propel forward for no reason. I didn't get it much and it was a little surprising at first but I can live with it. The bike can easily do 20 to 30 miles at top speed. I saw the 2020 edition had a better battery lock mechanism but the old one didn't really bother me personally. I haven't been removing the battery either as I've been plugging in the bike directly to the outlet. Now if only it could do level 2 charging!
  15. ikev85

ikev85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine came in yesterday. Went to order another but they’re outta stock until august. Much faster and better built than the boom e-Vader with golf cart batteries

spotted an RX4 nearby too

Attached Files:

RCmoto and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  16. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Nice. Are both the black and white yours?
    Also nice to find another CSC tribe member in your vicinity!
  17. ikev85

ikev85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah they’re both mine. I was on the fence about even getting a bike, so got the cheaper one to see if I was even going to like it.
  18. six41

six41 n00b

Oddometer:
    Question for folks that have mounted a rack and box on Sir Slickness. What have you done to minimize the creaky sound at the four bolts that mount the tail light assembly? It's not awful but it breaks the silence of the e-bike that I enjoy. This snip is from one of TheCaptNemo's photos.

upload_2020-6-4_17-21-56.png
  19. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    If the creaking stops, it is your signal the box has fallen off.
    It's not a fault, it's a feature.
  20. ikev85

ikev85 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files: