1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

CSC City Slicker

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by gatling, Jun 5, 2018.

1. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taller guys, how do you like your fit on the Slicker?
    I'm 6'5" and I'm wondering if this would work for me as a commuter bike, 13 miles each way with a bunch of traffic lights and about 8 miles of 50 mph traffic.
  2. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Hauling 6'5" at 50 mph for 8 miles would concern me more than your comfort. I was about to suggest The Wiz but checked to find the top speed is lower than the Slicker. At least the Wiz would have allowed you to stretch out a bit.

For a lightweight city bike for your size, I would suggest the TT250.
    pretbek likes this.
  3. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it’s gotta be electric.
    Jay_In_Milpitas likes this.
  4. TheCaptNemo

TheCaptNemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'9 and wish it was bigger. It doesn't do 50mph after the first couple of miles, it does 45 and 13 miles each way will be pushing the battery capacity. I suspect you might not make it.
    pretbek and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  5. ikev85

ikev85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    voltsxamps likes this.
  6. swanpondwv

swanpondwv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I received notice that the newest shipment of Slickers has arrived n the US. They expect to start shipping them out to customers soon.

I had asked about them earlier and thought I’d post this info.

Bill
  7. ikev85

ikev85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    any model year changes?
  8. eliu01

eliu01 n00b

Oddometer:
    I emailed them a couple weeks ago asking that very question. Wade @ CSC replied with the following:

Code:
    Hi Eric,

Thank you for your interest in our City Slicker e-bike.

There really are no major changes to the City Slicker. There have been software updates but nothing that changes range and performance. Colors are the same
    Seriously considering the black/white model - best color scheme for it so far, IMO.
  9. swanpondwv

swanpondwv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got it. Rode it. Love it.

Really, it exceeds my expectations.

On the fence about ordering a City Slicker? I suggest you do it now.

Bill
  10. ikev85

ikev85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What would be a good off-grid charging set up for these? I have two, so charging them simultaneously is probably too expensive.

Thinking of attaching a 500w solar kit to my garage w/ a ~1500-2000w inverter

Not knowing anything about it, is direct DC charging possible?

We did a nice run-down on them yesterday with a ~35km round trip on surface streets. Hit 83kph indicated on a downslope in power mode too.

[​IMG]

I am looking forward to zongshen and csc importing a next level up electric bike - a happy medium between ours and a Zero FX/S. I don’t want to go on the freeway, but enough for me to do some stints on 50-55mph roads would be nice.
  11. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    What does your manual say is the amp draw for the charger? A single electrical chase on one circuit breaker is often 20 amps. As long as your two combined are under that, you might be safe to charge them both.
    ikev85 likes this.
  12. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I finely installed the updated controller with the final updates on it I received July last year. Before I had a prototype controller that ran great on PWR but ECO was a bit off on that prototype controller. 1st time I updated the controller it took about 2 hours but the 2nd time it took about 45 minutes. Wished I had done it earlier but the thought of ripping apart the bike again and installing it sort of scared me away.

Have not test road it yet because of weather but starting tomorrow it will be nice all week. So the City Slicker is now charging up and will be on it tomorrow. Next month I will be renewing the licensing on it and will be riding it a lot more!
  13. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took the City Slicker out on a test run today checking my work. All is good with my work and everything worked fine. Did not notice much if any difference between the prototype controller I had before and the final version today. Battery efficiency, range and speed seem to be the same. I tried in ECO mode and it felt a little less snappy but my memory is a bit cloudy since I have not ridden it much lately. I believe most of the changes were in the ECO mode so this will make a difference. Most of my ride today was in PWR mode but when I head back home later I will try to ride more in ECO in the 25 MPH sections!

One thing I noticed is in PWR mode ReGen is a lot more aggressive at higher speeds. It almost feels or sounds like the Belt is slipping its so aggressive. However at lower speeds its smoother then before. I would like to see a user adjustable ReGen mode in a future model of the City Slicker. I think ReGen offers some benefits but at certain speeds it can be crazy aggressive!

Overall though it does get the trick done and does not use any gas. Even economical bikes get a bit annoying when you ride them a lot and you need to buy $3 to $5 in gas every few days. Still throws the budget into a tizzy at times!
  14. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Longhaul, it sounds like decelerating like a gas engine (letting the throttle snap closed) is not the best way for these. Is a slow roll-off a better technique?
  15. TheCaptNemo

TheCaptNemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes- once you get used to it you no longer notice the regen.
  16. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes this is a technique that does work. Roll off the throttle instead of closing it completely. Only tricky part is when you are going down a hill so steep you really don't have a choice. One hill in the area the ReGen is pretty brutal because coasting down the hill with the throttle closed the bike wants to do 45 MPH. Any throttle will make you want to go faster. After a few seconds the ReGen is pretty brutal. 1st trying to throw you over the handlebars and the belt sounds like it slips a bit. Any other situation its fine though!

Took the back roads of back roads with a 25 MPH speed limit in ECO mode. Its nice and smooth in this mode and not snappy like in PWR mode. Only wish list was a bit more torque is needed in ECO mode but its not as bad as it was on the original controller. Also acceleration is a lot more tame. I feel in ECO mode in theory battery life will be significantly better. Did not really notice a difference but today's results were hardly scientific.

Its a fun a little bike and more comfortable then it looks like it would be. Its so quiet and smooth it feels slower then it actually is. I would say its really not any slower then my Monkey or Grom when you look at the speedo but for some reason you want more. I think the torque from the electric motor is addicting.

Today's trip was 17 miles total for the round trip. However I had to climb a few steep hills and when I came home it was rush hour. Because of Covid 19 rush our is actually more of a rush now so I had it pinned for the last 4 miles doing 45 to 50 MPH. Left my home at 100 and got home at 49%. I have done better in the past but it takes discipline and its possible my battery might need a few charge cycles for it to get back up to spec. Last ride was mid June so 4 months ago or so.

By coincidence I got my letter from the state for the license renewal. $114 for the tabs and another $150 for the electric vehicle fee. Sort of takes the fun out if it. I did not renew last year and sort of took my chances but will renew it this year. Not that I recommend this but the City Slicker is not really a high profile vehicle and if you obey the law you can probably get away without renewing the little sticker on it. I only plan to do it every other year so I won't have to bring the title in and do additional paperwork. Here in WA you can skip a year as long as you "DON'T" ride it. Eventually hopefully I-976 will get past the courts and it will be about $42 a year to license!
  17. Chris J

Chris J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finally got my controller upgraded, too. The bad part is the reason I did it is because my battery died... During quarantime, I've only been riding it once every couple of weeks, and one day I turned the key and it blipped and went off, never to return. I tried charging inside bike, outside bike, moving the battery and charger indoors, nothing worked. So I had to go to CSC to get a replacement, and decided to take the controller with me. Battery replaced, controller upgraded.

Wow, it's a lot more fun with some low-end boost! I've only gone about 5 miles, but it feels so much snappier. I still need to take it up my commute hill to see the difference in top-speed there, but I'm optimistic I won't be holding up traffic nearly as much. I'll be watching for changes to the regen system. Before upgrade, it's only done that to me a handful of times. I'm sure the extra power will result in some extra battery use too... as long as I don't need to charge at work, that should be fine.
  18. TheCaptNemo

TheCaptNemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sad new for me this week- after about 4500 miles looks like my battery is failing. On Monday coming home I noticed the charge was dropping slightly faster then normal. At approx 35% error symbol showed up then display went blank. I pushed the bike over to the curb and tried turning it off and on- nothing. Disconnected battery, nothing. I pushed the button on the battery and it showed empty. then tried one more time and the bike turned on- dash now showed 0% and didn't read any other info but the bike ran enough to get home(about 1/2 mile). Today I took it out for a test run- it lasted for about 14 miles then did the same thing. This means I no longer can make my commute :(
  19. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Will you be contacting CSC on Tuesday for guidance? I'm ignorant on e-vehicle battery packs, so I don't know if they can be opened for inspection for cell condition or connection.
  20. TheCaptNemo

TheCaptNemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, though since the 12 month warranty is well over I suspect the only option would be $1095 for a new battery.