CSC RX4

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by gatling, Oct 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. shoco

shoco Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just saw this bike on CSC's website. Looks like a nice bike, but at $5895 plus tax, there's no way I could consider this over a slightly used Vstrom 650.
  3. Working_Hardly

Working_Hardly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An interesting argument, and one I tend to agree with concerning new bikes vs. used bikes when one is looking to purchase. It's the route that I went for my Versys 650 purchase. So, I just did a nationwide search for used V-strom 650's and found a grand total of 48 on Cycle Trader. Over half of those were over 15,000 miles on the odometer, which is my definition of lightly used, yours may differ; many in the 35,000 - 50,000 mile range, quite a few were 5+ years old. Anyone choosing between a new RX4 and a slightly used V-Strom 650 is going to have to find one first, then have it happen to be located nearby; or be willing to have it shipped, which will add to the cost and hassle. A new RX4 is coming in at $6300.00 US, shipped to your door, fully equipped and with 0 miles and a warranty plus the support of a very good dealer in CSC. Also, it's a current model, so no problem obtaining any needed parts for it, if and when needed. I have a TT250 and a RX3, so where parts are concerned, I can state this last part based on my experience with those two bikes. They have always had everything that I needed and had it to my front door in the midwest in a week.

Basically it comes down to this - you may want a slightly used V-STrom 650, Versys 650 or Honda CB500x, etc. but that doesn't mean one is going to be available to you. Particularly at the the time that you want it. I had to cruise Cycle Trader and Craigslist for months before my 2015 Versys 650 with 4400 miles popped up. Someone who wants to ride right now or just has to have a new bike, for whatever reason, is going to be hard pressed to find something as well equipped and priced as a new RX4.
  4. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    VERSYS®-X 300 ABS
    msrp NON-ABS: $5,399 / MSRP ABS: $5,699
  5. Working_Hardly

Oddometer:
    Like I said, hard pressed to find something as well equipped brand new.

The RX4 includes as standard equipment luggage, engine guards, auxiliary 12V & USB port, LED Auto headlight, pre-wired handlebar switches for accessories,radial mount dual floating disc front brake and an adjustable windscreen. All for $6300 delivered to your doorstep. Everything I listed has to be added at extra cost or is not available on the Versys-X 300. Not to mention the increased HP and torque of it's 450 cc engine.
    RojoGrande likes this.
  6. RojoGrande

RojoGrande Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Made the same comparison of new RX4 vs. used Versys or V-Strom 650 on another forum the other day. In my neck of the woods, you can periodically find a fairly low miles (6K to 10K), fairly late model (2012 - 2015), decently farkled Versys or V-Strom at a similar price point. Can't really compare a naked Versys 300 to a loaded RX4 from a price comparison stand point. True the RX4 will have a warranty and great service from CSC. I have 2 RX3's and a TT250 and can attest. That said, there is still a bias toward the known commodity like the Versys and V-Strom. Not a bias I have but its there none the less. Tremendous after-market support for these bikes as well. Tremendous support by CSC to provide a more complete package up front and to commission or source after-market parts as they did with the RX-3 and TT2250 based on customer feedback. Will be watching the RX4 closely.
  7. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. GooseYArd

GooseYArd institutional subversive

Oddometer:
  9. internalcombust

internalcombust What a blast!

Oddometer:
    Watching closely.
  10. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    CSC is officially taking deposits. I think this one will be a hot one like the RX3 was so you might not want to sit on it and I think $5900 is fair for what you get!

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=30178

I currently own an RX3 and some other CSC offerings and I am overall satisfied with the product. What makes it so great is the service CSC provides however admittedly needed very little support. A few questions here and there and maybe 1 warranty claim due to mostly my own negligence across 3 CSC products. That is the same or better then any of the majors!

The RX3 is pretty close to the perfect bike. I think the RX4 is a natural progression of an already fine product. Nice thing about the 450cc power plant is its still small enough to be a light weight bike and be economical for the user but has enough power to really accomplish just about every mission. The RX3 can do it as well but long distance super slab riding is really not its forte. I can do it but its not really a mile muncher by any means. For that matter I doubt the RX4 will be the perfect mile muncher compared to something like a ST1300 or any other large displacement bike but it will certainly out perform the RX3.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    At Long Beach???
  12. Duckati

Duckati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Deposit placed! Am I first?

FWIW, I love my heavily pre-loved RX-3, currently getting a 300cc kit installed (most complete route IMHO to fixing the oil/water leaks she came plagued with), but she simply doesn't cut it on the vast and often unavoidable TX superslab. Tried to convince myself it's "enough" on a trek down to South Padre, but coming from a Multistrada, it just wasn't for me.
  13. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did mine at about 8:45am. They did have a programming error at least for some folks. So it charged me for Intl shipping and doc fees on top of the $500 deposit. CSC immediately offered to refund me the extra $400 charge but I told them to just sit on it if possible. The more I pay now the less I will have to worry about later.

I really want the RX4 and its a pretty good deal. However its a bit of a reach at the moment. I am gambling that by the time it arrives in the Spring what is going on now will be behind me. Had a minor stroke last March and it has been a medical racket since. Test after test after test. Even with good medical insurance bills are high and now due. I was also forced to resign my current position at my job and take on a lower paying less stressful job for the time being. So money is not flowing in like it once was and this is the biggest problem currently. My budget forecast is showing all is well by late winter but thank goodness the RX4 is not arriving today.
  14. Duckati

Duckati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right on! I ordered about 10:30 Cali time. No glitch for me...

Agree, it's a whole lotta moto for the moolah, just the kind of product to which my engineering brain gravitates.. Sorry to hear about your health woes, but great news that your prognosis is upwards, you've a plan, and one that you're following and will allow a new steed in your stable!
  15. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I loved reading those blog posts. That said, after reading them I'm not sold on the RX4 over the RX3. It's still a really good price for what it is, but I like the value of the RX3 a lot more. I guess the RX3 was priced at the top of the range where I'd be willing and excited to do all the legwork around getting it titled and assembling it and whatnot. Another thing... does CSC do financing? Maybe it's because it was the idea I'd be saving up and paying cash for the RX3, but the RX4 is firmly in the "I'd need a loan for that" territory. Or perhaps it's the cost/crash enigma. If I crash my sub-$4000 motorcycle off-road, oh well. Pick it up (it's light enough) and move on. Replace parts as necessary. But a $6300 motorcycle... that somehow seems less crashable. Or maybe it's just the light, low power RX3 seems like a go-anywhere trail bike that would encourage finding the roads less-traveled, and the RX4 is a less focused, more all-around motorcycle. I'm really not sure, but some mix of all of this is at the root. In short, I think I still want the RX3.

Charles.
  16. Working_Hardly

Oddometer:
    Probably. :)

I saw this very early last night and put it in the cart, but then saw that the cart software had added the documentation and assembly fee as well, bringing the total to $900 versus the $500 that was expected. I didn't really care, but decided to wait in case it was a glitch on CSC's end, which is what it turned out to be.

Deposit has been placed for an orange RX4.

I'm really not a fan of the silver colorway, and I like my bikes to stand out against the background when I'm out on the street, for higher visibility. Looking better then the silver, in my opinion, is just a bonus.
    CPAT likes this.
  17. Duckati

Duckati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ On CSC's product page for the bike, I noticed they have a "financing" button. Might be worth a look if you're serious about the RX-4.

Between the much improved TX freeway cruising ability, ~70% increase in power vs. 15% increase in weight, ABS, *much* better brakes, more standard tire sizing, SS exhaust, larger fuel tank, and countless other improvements, it's a no-brainer to me.

Also, the thought of getting a brand new, well-equipped vehicle I can reliably use to commute here in Austin, and all for "only" $6300, is particularly exciting to me.

As anything goes, it all comes down to preference, and so to each their own!
  18. Duckati

Duckati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was "in the first 20" they said with my confirmation email... I'm actually torn on the colors. My Multistrada is their "matte gray", which is basically silver, so part of me wants a smaller bike that matches it, and part wants the orange reviewers have raved about. I ordered orange, ultimately. Good thought on visibility... makes me feel better about my choice!
  19. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sure I am within the first 20 as well. Anyone preordering now should not really worry about it taking any length of time to set up and ship. However the longer you wait and depending on the amount of the preorders it will definitely push it back. Its all first come first serve!

I went with the orange as well. My RX3 is orange. My TT250 and SG250 are white and orange. Orange is my unofficial CSC color. Only my City Slicker is blue and white but if it was offered in orange I probably would have gone that route. Speaking of City Slicker its very close and I was in the top 5 for preorders on that bike!
  20. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel like that thing is gonna weigh a lot, like more than a KLR type a lot