CSC TT250: Was $1895 in Nov 2015

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tim_Tom, Nov 30, 2015.

1. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see that CSC has a rejet kit for the TT/SG now.
    Has anyone rejetted their carb on that engine?
    Don
  2. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    I scrolled a ways down that page you gave the link to, about half way down there is a close shot of the right side of the engine, also shows the rear brake reservoir. Under that are nine thumbnail pics. One shows a tooth-link chain for driving an overhead cam, another shows one rocker arm with a roller cam follower. So a little bit sort of kind of slightly similar to the CG engine only different.
  3. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live at 5000 ft elevation and ride to over 10,000 ft, so I thought my TT250 might benefit from a change of jets. I called CSC this week, and this is what I learned:

The engine is tuned very lean to meet emissions requirements, therefore, it runs poorly at sea level. But it runs good at 5000 ft.
    The rejet kit they sell is for low altitude use.

Dan
    dp064 likes this.
  4. RedHawk47

Oddometer:
    That engine has an overhead cam. CG engines are overhead valve, pushrod engines.
    BTW, I suspect that that engine does not have a counterbalancer.

Dan
  5. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    Well, the apparent center line of the cylinder goes through about the L or O in the Cyclone lettering, leaving a lot of room in front of the crank for a balance shaft. Sure would be nice to have a Mandarin reader show up here.
  6. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    China riders has ALL the answers
  7. Jory

Jory Really? Is it Really?

Oddometer:
    All -

What are your thoughts on the TT250 for the NMBDR? I understand the NMBDR is one of the easiest ones (I've ridden sections of it). This would be for my 28 year old son who is 5'10" /150 lbs. A week long trip from South to North in the late spring, early fall (staying away from the summer temps). All the research I've looked into indicates it shouldn't be a problem after the bike is broken in and the tires and chain chnaged out....oh and to bring a few extra shifters!

Would like to get this collective groups thoughts?

Thanks!
  8. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s a capable bike, but if your son wants something a little more street capable, SSR has a dual sport with the TU250 motor in it for $1100 more.

Charles.
  9. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better chain. Run it, no problem.
    Jay_In_Milpitas and dp064 like this.
  10. RedHawk47

Oddometer:
    Check out this trip report: https://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=29919
    I'm pretty sure the riders have their own trip report, I didn't find it.

Dan
    dp064 likes this.
  11. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Back at post #688 in this thread one of the riders in that group put up a few posts regarding that trip.
    Don
  12. Jory

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guys - appreciate it!
    dp064 and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  13. Jory

Oddometer:
    Wow - Thanks Charles. Wasn't aware of this as an option at all. Interesting that they've upgraded so much, but the bike still lacks EFI.
    ChopperCharles likes this.
  14. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah, it’s still old school. But it also means you can tweak it a lot easier too. The epa bullshit is a lot easier to fix on a carb...

Charles.
  15. 2WheelTony

2WheelTony Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wondering if any owners of the CSC TT250 would recommend it for my 5'10" 115lb girlfriend? she has seriously outgrown her 2001 Honda XR100 and is looking for an upgrade and i have the opportunity to pick up a near brand-new one for about $2k? we were looking at the XT250/KLX250 but she isnt wanting to spend alot.....
  16. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you thought about a Hawk or a TBR7 ??.
  17. 2WheelTony

2WheelTony Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im in California so the Hawk is a no-go unfortunatly, havnt heard of the TBR7 though.
    BigFatAl likes this.
  18. Jay_In_Milpitas

Oddometer:
    That TBR7 also won't get registration in CA. It sounds like you are mechanically competent. Take her to see if she and it are compatible and if it seems mechanically sound. If so, go for it. CSC is a great company to deal with for parts and support.
    dp064 likes this.
  19. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been riding around the TT250 the past few days. I was completely shocked the bike fired up instantly even after sitting for 10 months. Usually it takes a few cranks to at least prime the carb but not this year. I think the NGK plug I put in last year helps a lot here. Still got a bit of an issue with the rpm gauge on the digital cluster I upgraded. Sometimes it works fine but then sometimes it goes all skitzo and is annoying. Last year when it started doing it I found a broken red splice clip so I replaced it thinking this would help but it really did not help much. Next step will be a more secure connection. Perhaps soldering the wire in there and then heat shrinking it? Another issue could be the location of the wire is not sufficient for a good single for the rpm gauge. So it may need another location entirely?

First time adjusted the valves I did it wrong and it was very noisy. Ran great but made a lot of racket. I did it again and this time its much more quiet except for some ratcheting at certain rpm that occasionally gets rhythmically loud. It really varies by engine temps and rpm's. If its a super cold day you never really hear them but if its a 90F day and you are stuck in traffic you can hear them pretty good. I am pretty sure valves are set correctly as I triple checked during the 2nd time I did it and its just nature of the beast. I did go for the loose end of the spec so that is likely why I hear it. Did my SG250 at the same time same procedure and specs but its a little quieter for some reason but can still hear them when the engine is hot. The good news is now with 500 miles on this valve inspection they have gotten a little quieter and I bet in another 500 miles I probably won't hear them any longer at all. Then in 2500 miles they may have to be done again!

Other then the above its a pretty cool bike and proving it can last a while. Rear tire is getting a bit flat but still has a good amount of tread on it. I will ride it through this season but next year I might upgrade and/or replace the tires. Handling is always a bit weird and getting weirder so I think a lot of this is the stock tires.
    dp064 and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  20. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice update longhaul- I will second your thought on the stock tires, they are truck-like in handling and wear rates. I have made the switch to shinko 244's a while back, and some IRC's, both are nicer on and off road.

My TT250 is awaiting a rear tire at the moment, but is at 7000 miles now and still going great. Very happy with this bike, still would buy another tomorrow if I had to, which I won't- because its built to last.
    Jay_In_Milpitas and dp064 like this.