Ct - I Repair Riding Gear

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by akarob, Sep 29, 2010.

1. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I would patch it with some nylon of appropriate strength. Either 400D packcloth or 1000D Cordura. When I do a patch, I use a hot knife to clean up the frayed area and also to cut the new patch. The seared edges really prevent the material from fraying again.

I'll send you a PM with details on how to proceed if you choose to.
  2. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Here's is another finished gear repair that I think the owner will be very pleased.
    I got these boots with a non functional zipper and the job was to replace both of them.
    In the picture below, the left boot has the new zipper in place, but not stitched up yet.
    The right boot has the old zipper removed, and the new one is laying there waiting to go in.
    [​IMG]

...and the finished result. The zippers work nice and smooth now. Good as new.

[​IMG]
  3. Dracula

Dracula aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rob. This got me thinking of pros & cons on a suit like the roadcrafter, which zippers would be best - small teeth vs. larger ones, coil vs vislon as you call them. Maybe they selected large teeth vislon to make zipping faster.. or perhaps other reasons, I suspect one being the cost :dunno I do not mind allowing extra patience when zipping up or down, if that gets me a longer life zipper. As far as waterproofness, there ought to be ways those scuba suits have zipper and not leak...
  4. ColumboNH

ColumboNH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rob, per our PM conversation I attached two photos below for the alterations. The black jacket is what I have and the gray jacket shows the sleeve adjusters similar to what I’d like to add.

E8BD5ABE-1AA3-4A51-AF2F-E58CE91F3437.jpeg FDC45C47-FB8D-483E-98BD-5AC0D6073D19.jpeg
  5. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    After thinking about the above jacket project, I really think velcro is the way to go here rather than using a regular tape fed through the adjuster.
    The velcro will be easy open and close, and there won't be a loose flap blowing around annoying you all day.
    As for my abilities, I can totally do this without splitting any seams or cutting into the sleeves at all.
  6. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Tonight I delivered a completed project to the customer.

He requested a shoe rack style organizer for his boat.
    At first, I had not idea where to start, but he gave me some dimensions then I made a sketch.
    We went back and forth a couple times and we decided on a sketch I made.

[​IMG]

The only requested change was to make the 4 bottom pockets into 2 larger ones.

After that I modeled up my patterns to proof out the design and I made one of the pockets out of mylar and taped it to a piece of paper, just to see how it looked.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

With everyting in place, we decided on a clear mylar laminate fabric because it does not attract mildew, and you can see inside the pockets.

Below is a picture of the pocket panels, almost completed, before I got them all attached.

[​IMG]

And here are a couple pictures of the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, I was very happy with the end result and I think it will serve the customer very well.

The mylar laminate (fabric?) is certainly different to work with. It's good in some ways and not so good in others.
    I ended up making him a small carry bag, as a gift, using some left over material similar to the one pictured below, but it had handles and it was the same clear material.

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 and CavReconSGT like this.
  7. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Robert, I received my R3 Roadcrafter suit you had replaced both leg & main zippers. I gotta say, the zippers quality is absolutely fantastic, that's what the manufacturers should use! And your sewing is perfect. Thanks, I really appreciate the quality of the repair. In fact, it's definitely an upgrade. :deal

I may have something else for you, perhaps for when you become less busy.
  8. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Also love the wallet sized zippered pouch you included as a gift! I think it will become my secret cache on the bike, for few dollars and maybe a credit card, and a spare key.
  9. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    My pleasure. I'm happy to help provide a service that manufacturers can't seem to get right.
    I've yet to really see a zipper used on a commercial garment that was great. They always opt for the cheap versions.
    I've gotten amazingly good at being able to replace a zipper correctly so you really can't tell anything has been done to it.
    I still don't seem to understand why the main zippers are installed the way they are in those one piece suits, basically a jacket style zipper upside down.
    No matter. Enjoy the suit. It's a really nice garment.
    Dracula likes this.
  10. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Thanks. As far as zipper orientation, it's much, much, easier and more practical to get into the suit and out of it with the zipper join started at the upper side (neck collar) vs. it starting lower on the left leg. You would understand better if you wore this type of suit. I'll write my reasons below.

1. Note right leg is always stepped into first when dressing with these suits, and exited out - last. Also the idea is to have your street clothes on including motorcycle boots or whatever, and just be able to done this entire suit in less than a minute over, or take it off just as easy. It's in fact the main reason I love the suit! I can dress for jogging (or even a business meeting with tie), ride there, then simply take the suit off stash it in the top case or across the seat, change (or not) shoes and am on my way.
    2. If zipper starts from up near collar, there is no need to bend all the way to the left leg and then fumble (sometimes in the dark) - to join the two pieces to start the zipper
    3. With zipper started from near neck collar, when pulling the slider to close it, it flows much better/more natural, from up going down because there are usually no creases on the chest and body, vs. zipping it up from below the ankle towards the crotch and then over and up, there are so meany suit creases on leg and crotch area, until the suit gets actually zipped..
    I hope this helps explain to you. I am not sure if zippers are actually directional - like tires are - to my untrained eye they seem not to be.
    Luckycharms likes this.
  11. Luckycharms

Luckycharms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean you don't understand why they use the specific zipper they've chosen or why they've chosen to install in so it zips down from the top?
    Dracula likes this.
  12. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rob replaced the main zipper and leg zipper on my Aerostitch and it is better than new.
    Dracula and TonyKZ1 like this.
  13. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's my promise. A better zipper than you had. It's really not hard because the OEM stuff is just so bad.

I'm glad you're happy.
    Dracula and TonyKZ1 like this.
  14. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting enough I think the rear vent and underarm vents OEM are a much better quality than the OEM main and leg vent. Seems to be closer to par to what you put in.
  15. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    Can you resew the leather on my rear seat? The leather is not damaged, just the stitching is undone. Thanks
  16. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Can you post a picture of what you have? Id be happy to help if I can.
  17. Fenianbastard

Oddometer:
    Can I email you a picture? I don't subscribe to any pic sites that you need to post here. You can then post it if you want. Thanks
  18. Dracula

Oddometer:
    You can post the picture right here. Use the "Upload Pics and GPS Track" button down below and upload it from your phone or computer.
  19. ColumboNH

ColumboNH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to post an update and thank Rob for a job well done on my jacket modifications! Excellent workmanship and a fair price, highly recommended!
    akarob likes this.
  20. Fenianbastard

Oddometer:
    CHEERS