Ct - I Repair Riding Gear

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by akarob, Sep 29, 2010.

1. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:

I just got the pictures. It looks like the best way to make the seat look proper is to remove the cover and make the repair, then put it back on.
    Due to the nice pictures of both sides, I can say that I don't foresee any issues. A couple hours labor is all. No problemo. I'll shoot you a PM with info on how to move forward.
    Dracula likes this.
  2. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    Just so the public can see what I am asking you to repair.

Attached Files:

3. Dracula

Dracula I don't want a pickle! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't say enough how much I enjoy my R3 suit now with the new, truly waterproof and much more robust zippers. The sleeves sewing was coming undone and akarob sew them back on both free of charge. @akarob if you happen to ever be in the Raleigh area, it would be my pleasure to treat you to a local micro brewed and some of the finest BBQ.
    thelastfoiter likes this.
  4. Mad Dog Cycles

Mad Dog Cycles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rob, are you available this week. I've got a couple of projects. Hemming some Stonelake Leather overalls that are too long, possibly lengthening the sleeves of a mesh chest protector and adding some molle loops to a back pack.
  5. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Sure. You're welcome to come by and we can have a go at your gear. I hope you like dogs. I'll send you a PM.
  6. chefO

chefO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Rob,
    I have a pair of pants that I'd like to have the pant zippers lengthened and a set of suspender buttons added.... Quight sure its within your skill set.
    What's your current time frame and mailing address?
    Thanks, Oliver
  7. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    What? No request for estimate? :-)
    Sounds like you want the zipper to go further up the legs, maybe past the knee?
    It's probably not a huge deal, but I'd like to see a picture. If you don't mind posting one here, that would be great.
    If you'ld prefer to send me an email, I can give you an address.
  8. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update: Rob fixed the crotch in my riding pants and reinforced them to prevent future added ventilation! They held up great to 10 days in Colorado!

Thank you!
  9. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, your seam just came apart. It looked worse than it was. I mean, it wasn't hard to put back together and make it stronger than it was when it was new.

Thanks for the nice feedback. It's always nice to hear my work is appreciated. You're very welcome.
    thelastfoiter and FenceJumper09 like this.
  10. LawlerClan

LawlerClan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rob replaced a zipper on a backpack for me. Good price, quick turn around and excellent work. Thanks.
  11. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. Thanks for the kind words. I just wish manufacturers would opt to spend the tiny bit extra to use quality materials. I see too much substandard fabric and hardware.
  12. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    Another great job by akarob and he even threw in a little freebie which fitted my Narcan kit to a tee. I'm a nurse, not a user, thankfully! IMG_3115.jpg IMG_3116.jpg IMG_3114.jpg
  13. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I always try to include one of those little bags with my customer's stuff. They're great for change, tire patch kits, lens cleaning kit, etc. I'd say each one takes me about 3 minutes when I really get rolling so it's not a huge investment for me, but it's nice to get something handmade. The colors and fabric I choose are random bits of scrap too, so you never know what color it will be.
    Dracula and flei like this.
  14. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any idea how hard (ie. expensive) it would be to repair my FieldSheer Cyclone one-piece suit. The fabric has pulled away from the seam on the right leg next to the pocket.
    IMG_0576.jpg IMG_0575.JPG

Funny thing is, I bought this suit to replace my old FS Highland suit that had seen many many years and miles and now this one is failing.
  15. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Shipping would be the significant cost. I'll make a small cut in the liner, make the repair, then close the liner back up. Under and hour, easily.

Shipping would be $10-15 each way. So ballpark, $50 or less all said and done.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  16. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks for the reply. I'll let you know before I send it, as I've got a couple other things that need repair too.
  17. Dracula

Dracula I don't want a pickle! Supporter

Oddometer:
    After I received my second Aerostich Roadcrafter suit that was repaired, on which Robert replaced both main zippers, side pocket entry zippers, and the main velcro, all I can say he now has me a customer for life. The new zippers are super slick, truly waterproof and top notch quality (what Aerostich - if they are listening - should be using these days all along) - as is the excellent sewing & workmanship done to replace them. My 12 year old suit just got a new lease on life :deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thank you Robert!
  18. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks a lot for the very kind words. It's rare that I get such a complement, and I do appreciate knowing my efforts are enjoyed.

But yours wasn't the only heartfelt compliment I got today. Here's what one of my crash bar bag customers from my Etsy store wrote me today, totally out of the blue.

"Just wanted to follow-up.. In mid-March I hit the road, and have put almost 25,000 miles on these bags. They've held up, water-resistant against torrents in Alaska, frost in Alberta, scorching wind in South Dakota, and east coast humidty. From Anchorage, AK to Lubec, ME, they've been reliable, dependable, and dare I say trusted part of my gear (far more than my Givi tankbag, which lasted only a few months...) Easily the best accessory I've owned."

I'm really humbled and blown away knowing that what I do reaches so far. I mean, I know I do a decent amount of international sales, but to hear about how the customers feel is really the best part.

All I can say is thank you in return for taking the time to give me some feedback. I really do enjoy helping fellow riders enjoy their adventures, and occasionally hearing about it. The best thanks I can get is a referral when the opportunity come up from time to time. I never advertise, other than in this thread.
  19. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Last night, I spent some time on a couple little projects for myself.

The first was to add a reflective panel to my new backpack. It came with some velcro already on it, so it was nice and easy.

[​IMG]

This just shows the two strips I sewed to the back side of the reflector.
    [​IMG]

.and this is the finished product. Visibility is a good thing.
    [​IMG]

The next one was a sheith for a knife. I started with a rough sketch on some cardboard.
    [​IMG]

Sewing the leather to the plastic...
    [​IMG]

...and the finished job.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. helix66

helix66 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of slim mojave pants and both of the ykk pocket zippers have failed.
    I was able to get one back on track but it will easily split apart and the other one I can't get to join at all.

Any idea what it would cost to fix/replace those zippers?