Ct - I Repair Riding Gear

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by akarob, Sep 29, 2010.

1. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Yea, there's no fixing those. It's a replacement job.
    I'm pretty efficient at replacing them though. I'd probably use some of my weatherproof bag zipper.
    Cost would be about $30 to $40 for me depending on how long it takes, plus the shipping.
    If that sounds like something you want to get done, let me know and I'll shoot you the details.
  2. helix66

helix66 n00b

Oddometer:
    Is that per zipper or total?
    I'll look into the shipping costs, the pants were and still re about $170 new
  3. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Thats two zippers. Shipping usually runs about $8 each way for pants.
  4. Signal 13

Signal 13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems I burned up the inside of my right leg around the upper calf area. The waterproof and winter liners were not burned, so the pants are still functional. Was going to just wrap some black duck tape around the burned parts, but saw your thread and thought I'd ask you if this is something that can be repaired.

IMG_5526.jpg
  5. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Yea if course. I can easily put a patch of real fabric over that mess and make it right again. I'll PM you after the weekend.
    Signal 13 likes this.
  6. ak2009

ak2009 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have an old Roadcrafter jacket with a lot of dusty miles. Rob replaced the zipper and fixed a spot where the outer fabric wore through. Quick turn-around, fair price, and most important, a quality job. Highly recommended.
    -Bob
  7. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a quick note.....

Contacted Rob for a couple projects.....Communication was flawless and he was remarkably helpful in getting started.....

Big thumbs up.....
    Dracula and dino702 like this.
  8. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I posted this in the sewing machine thread, but if anyone follows this thread out to see what I'm up to, you'll appreciate this.

I made a couple fishing pole bags, figured you guys (and gals) might want to check them out. I have made 3 in the past, but it's been a while and I wanted to possibly start selling a few.

The sides are 3 ply - Camo cordura outside, 10oz dacron stiffener in the middle and a 3mm foam lined taffeta inside.
    Along the zippers I used a waxed canvas that matched really well.
    Each side holds a small tackle box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's what I do with it...

[​IMG]
    Dracula, TonyKZ1 and Fenianbastard like this.
  9. gpthis

gpthis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An overdue review of a great guy who does proper repairs..........
    Rob replaced my POC zipper on my gerbing heated jacket, with a proper zip for an important piece of gear.!! Shame on Gerbing..
    Easy process and professional quality.! ; - ) Thanks~
    Peace
    Dracula, mf13368 and Fenianbastard like this.
  10. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to hear my efforts are appreciated. Here's a picture of the finished job.

[​IMG]
    Dracula, gpthis and Fenianbastard like this.
  11. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I had a special request for a bag that I could attach to my MX style chest protector and once again Rob came through.

Now I have storage for my phone, snacks and a few other small items with easy access that I don’t have to remove my backpack for.

Outstanding workmanship at a reasonable price.
    Dracula and massholejim like this.
  12. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Im glad you liked it. It came out even better than I had planned. Happy to be of service.
  13. thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter I like the gear as much as the motorcycles...

Oddometer:
    @akarob I haven't had you do any work for me, but I've seen you take existing products, and modify and transform them into something totally new and different so they suit your customers needs - it's really cool to see and you are an amazing asset to the community!
    flei and Dracula like this.
  14. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Helping people out when no one else really can is pretty rewarding.
    I don't even post half of the jobs I do here, and I do get some odd requests for sure.
    For instance, it's not uncommon at all for someone to send me their perfectly good Klim Gore Tex gear for me to carve up in one way or another.
    I've done several jobs where I widen the collar a LOT so that it will fit around a Leatt neck brace.
    Another customer wanted under arm vent zippers installed.
    Besides just changing out broken zippers, I make zippers longer, make them shorter, etc etc.
    I remember one guy that crashed in a textile jacket and it was really rashed up and torn pretty good. The guy really didn't think I could fix it, but not only did I fix it - you really couldn't tell it was ever damaged.

It's unfortunate that shipping rates are so high now (they just went up again by like 20%) because that is often the biggest cost to the customer, not what I do. I'm willing to work with people to pick up gear or have them come by and work while they wait too. If anyone wants to come by my place in Southern CT, that's always an option.

With my responses, I like to add a picture. Everyone likes pictures.

This was my latest one, a simple crotch blowout. I got it sewn up like this, and it's probably good enough, but I decided I'll add a small triangle of black cordura and sew it over the top just to be 100% sure the seams don't let go again no matter how hard it gets stressed. This won't be the weak point anymore.

[​IMG]
  15. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @akarob, I got my Firstgear TPG overpants back after having you replace and lengthen the leg zippers, and my Fieldsheer one-piece suit after you repaired tears/rips in the material. I re-installed the armor and they look and feel great. I just wanted to say thanks again.
  16. Rcrx21

Rcrx21 06 KTM 950SM, 04 WR250F

Oddometer:
    Would you be able to replace/cover the stretch material over both knee’s on my Klim Dakar’s with actual abrasion proof material?
    I’ve already lost the skin on my knee because of this poor design once, I don’t want a repeat. Any guess on cost?
    72167821-E12A-467E-B32F-84DF88853D06.jpeg
  17. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Those are nice pants. I have a set. If I'm not mistaken, they recently changed the design and the materials just don't seem as good. The biggest issue is how to get to the back side of the fabric. If there was a leg zipper or opening that went closer to the knee, that would make it easier. I will have to use my cobbler machine. It gets the job done, but it's a slow hand crank single needle stitch. I'd much prefer to go around the patch with a zig-zag. The only other option is to make a cut up the leg and re-sew it when I'm done - clearly not the best solution. I'll follow up with how to proceed if you want in a PM.
  18. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I just figured I'd post up another job I recently finished for anyone following along sheer interest.

This one was a vintage (80s?) pair of motorcycle pants. The leather outers were nice, but the liner that was once in it was torn and completely removed long ago. The original liner material was pretty poor. Also, at least one of the 3 zippers was nonfunctional, so I agreed to replace all the zippers and put in a new liner. This was one of those jobs where I didn't know exactly the scope of the work or how I'd get it done, but it all gets figured out in the end. Here are the "after" pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1, Dracula and wee-twin like this.
  19. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You do amazing work! I've tried sewing and it didn't come out as I had hoped.
    akarob and Dracula like this.
  20. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shout out

Just got a pair of old Dariens fixed up by Rob. New zippers all the way around and some...umm...expansion owing to them "shrinking" over the years... :augie

GREAT work!! Far less than the original manufacturer would have charged and very fast turnaround.

DaFoole recommended!! :happay