Ct - I Repair Riding Gear

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by akarob, Sep 29, 2010.

1. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @akarob -- just sent you a PM about installing quick release buckles on the straps of a Giant Loop Fandango tank bag harness. Lemme know what you think.

Thanks, Matt
  2. The.Cheese

The.Cheese Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, thoughts on replacing the main zipper on my one piece Roadcrafter? The pull on the bottom zip is gone. The top section of the zipper track is starting to break up making it more difficult than it should be to get started. Still working, just getting close to replacement time.

The hip pocket zippers are split. May need replacement, may need new sliders. Not sure.

Some of the main zipper velcro needs replacement. Do that too?

I can add pics if it helps.
  3. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Thats all fairly standard work. No issues with it. PM sent with more details.
  4. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob, I've got a Singer 31-15 on a nice table I'm going to be putting on the Flea Market sometime in the next year - retiring and downsizing. Thought I'd give you first shot - PM me if interested & I'll send pics.
    Buckee
  5. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the offer but I already have one in the collection. It's a beautiful all-metal machine that is perfect for any home-gamer. Super smooth running. If anyone needs a nice machine, this is a great choice.
  6. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  7. ThorCT

ThorCT Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    @akarob , I have a set of GiantLoop Mojave bags where one of the side straps is starting to come off on one of the bottom legs of the bag. The backside is not easy to access as this is deep in the big. Is this something you can fix?

I’d also like to get the top part cut apart and widened at the same time to better fit my super enduro. Thoughts?
  8. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Probably not. If I'm not mistaken, bottom of those bags has a thick plastic stiffener in there. Its a bit much for my machines. Basically, you need what's called a "7 class" walking foot machine that's typically used for sewing rawhide leather like what's used on horse harnesses and super heavy duty work.
  9. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Hi Akron, these are the damage pics
    Resized_20190602_110624.jpeg Resized_20190602_110638.jpeg
  10. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    That's pretty blown out. It'll definitely need to have all that damaged area replaced with new fabric.
    I'd be willing to give it a shot, and I'd know pretty quick if it wasn't something I could do.
    There wouldn't be any charge if I can't help you.
    If I could, I'd estimate about $50 in labor. Let me know if you want to move forward on it.
  11. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone out West that repairs gear?
  12. Dons1911

Dons1911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked and looked, then used Rob. He's in the midst of my second job with him. I find his quality to be well worth the USPS money. His prices are VERY fair too.
    PullingG's and MattF44 like this.
  13. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I dont know of anyone on the West Coast , but if anyone throws out a name, I won't be put off about it
  14. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Hi Rob,
    I've got 2 projects that I need repaired, and don't know (or trust) anybody local to work on them. Can you give me your honest appraisal of how I should proceed?

Project 1: The dreaded BMW Coverall Zippers. I have a BMW coverall that I love, but they were known for poor Riri zippers. The main zipper has already been replaced by the previous owner (seam taped, nice waterproof YKK zipper, looks like factory), but the leg zippers are starting to fail.
    • How much would it cost to have the leg zippers replaced with something really durable?
    • Could you ad armpit zippers like on an Aerostich Roadcrafter?
      • If yes, how much would it cost?
    • Can you re-tape the areas after you sew in the zipper, or would I need to do that? It looks like the Goretex seam tape is for sale on Amazon for ~$18 per roll and can be put on with a standard iron, so I'm fine either way. I'm lazy, so I'd rather have you do it if you already are set up for it, but no biggie if you're not.
      • If yes, how much would it cost?
    • How long would a repair like this typically take? I'm guessing at least 3 weeks by the time you order the zipper and do the work, but wanted to confirm.
    • Am I missing anything that you would suggest? You're the expert here; is there anything you would do if this was your set of coveralls?

Full Suit: 20190606_202813.jpg

Leg Zipper Close-up: Both leg zippers look the same, where the fabric of the zipper itself is failing. The rest of the garment looks great.

20190606_202853.jpg

Armpit close-up:
    20190606_203052.jpg

Project #2: New Crotch Zipper in Triumph Pants. This one is more straightforward; I'm just looking for something durable.
    • How much would it cost?
    20190606_202943.jpg
  15. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    For the leg zippers, total of $50 for materials and time. I'd use #10 waterproof zipper off the roll, no big deal. I don't seam seal. Under arm zippers about another $40 for both, I can do a mesh in there, your choice. Sewing them in is the tricky part. The pants zipper $20. I'll make short work of that. The same zipper will be on everything. It won't take me 3 weeks either. More like 2 days tops. I do have a few jobs on the table at the moment but they should clear out soon enough.
  16. Kingsized

Kingsized Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rob, would you quote me a price for shortening the sleeves by an inch or so (not exactly sure how much right now), on my mesh jacket? It's new and I'm adding a video that shows the zipper and closure action. Skip to 2:20 and you will see what would need to be done.

17. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Rob,
    This seems more than reasonable; thanks for the quick response. Do you want to post your shipping to address here, or would you prefer to PM me? No biggie either way. Please let me know how to pay you too...
    Thanks,
    Chuck
  18. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I'll defer the details of this conversation to PM. I can certainly do the job, but we can spare the public from the intimate details.
  19. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm planning on having you move ahead on the zipper repair for the Triumph pants, and the 2 leg zippers on the BMW suit. I have another pair of Triumph pants I may throw in too, to see if you think you can make them better. The fabric below the crotch zipper is starting to pull apart...

Can I get your professional opinion on work somebody else did on the main zipper in my BMW suit? It has a nice YKK water resistant zipper, and looks like it was installed perfectly, but I'm still getting some water pooling and crotch wetness if I go through a real gully washer...

I'm thinking that this may be a situation where I just have to manage expectations (it's a tough location for a zipper in a driving rainstorm), but I wanted to see what you thought.

Wet crotch right behind bottom of zipper:
    20190609_081914.jpg
    Outside view of YKK zipper:
    20190609_082155.jpg

Inside view of YKK zipper, all seam taped
    20190609_082220.jpg
  20. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    The zipper looks great, but I don't see a flap covering the zipper on the outside. The flap is what you really want to rely on to shed off the rain. Waterproof zippers are really just water resistant, especially when they're bent in a suit like a snake. If they were laying 100% flat, they might be close to waterproof, but I wouldn't trust them to keep water out completely. That's another reason why I think seam sealer in that area is minimally effective. A good flap would keep the water from getting to the seam tape in the first place.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.