Ct - I Repair Riding Gear

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by akarob, Sep 29, 2010.

1. phlazm

phlazm ad maiora nati sumus

Oddometer:
    PM for possible tank bag repair sent.
  2. Chagall

Chagall It's about to get real Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Rob, I have two coats that need zippers. One is for my wife who uses it to ride her horse, teeth don't hold anymore, and I have a Dianese riding jacket with the zipper ripping on the bottom. I'd like a two way zip on the riding jacket.
  3. STeveST1300

STeveST1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Rob I wasn't able to get the photo into my PM but here is the burn on my KLIM Pants. Pants.jpg
  4. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I can repair that for sure, but it hardly seems worth it. I mean, other than cosmetic, what's the issue?
    If you have some other gear you want to get altered or fixed and can bundle it all up, that would make more sense.
    Themastermike and Fenianbastard like this.
  5. STeveST1300

STeveST1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that when riding in the rain it would wick water into the pants leg. I guess I will see how it goes I don't have anything else to have adjusted or repaired.
  6. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a pair of Yamaha saddlebags that I need to send to you some time, if you're still repairing stuff. One of them has a broken zipper, so I'd probably just have you replace both bag's zippers.
  8. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't be a problem. I'd like to see a picture of the bag though, just to be sure. You can post it up here or PM me.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  9. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good @akarob here’s a few.

Attached Files:

10. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rob, i have two different sets of riding gear that i'm thinking about getting you to work on.

#1, i have Klim Badlands jacket and pants that needs the existing small toothed zipper (that connects the jacket to the pants) replaced with a more durable larger toothed zipper.

#2, i have a Icon Raiden DKR jacket and pants that i'm thinking about getting some waterproof zipper vents install on possibly both the front and back side of the pant legs (maybe about 12" long?). Maybe some extra waterproof zipper vents installed in the jacket as well? Here's a link to a guy here who did a review on the jacket. No that's no me, but i have the same jacket. https://advrider.com/f/threads/icon-raiden-dkr-review.1229104/ Here's the jacket review in this Revzilla review video. Here's a review of the pants.

So what do you think?
    And FYI, I'm located in Oregon.
  11. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I've done vents before. No issue there. It's always a little nerve-wracking cutting up someone's brand new GoreTex Kilm gear to install vents, not gonna lie. Seems wrong until it's done, then it's so right.

I'll reach out via PM.

Here's some vent work I've done in the past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finished up a jacket tonight. The first picture was me starting to remove a zipper, and the second is the finished job. Added leather pulls too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you think about my saddlebags? Any problem to put new zippers in both of them, I figure both since one failed the other probably isn't far behind in failing too.
  13. wescat

wescat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The leather pulls are excellent, especially with gloves on.
    akarob and wilfred like this.
  14. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I could sew through the semi-rigid shell to do the job. There is also a question of whether I can get the bulky material under the foot of my machine. I would be happy to give it a shot, but no guarantee. I just dont want to get your hopes up only to find it's a waste in shipping costs. If you want me to do my best, shoot me a PM and we can set it up.

15. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Sent PM about a jacket repair...
  16. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Recently, I had an inmate reach out ( a few posts back) asking about getting some vent zippers installed on his gear. He sent over a pants and two jackets. They came out really well and made me really question not doing my own gear similarly. Here's a few pictures of the finished job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have a picture of the front of the pants, but they have similar vents so there will be nice air flow.
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple other small areas that were coming undone and needed some re-stitching.

[​IMG]

If anyone is interested in having similar work done, just send me a private message and we can discuss it.
  17. Badger

Badger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my jacket back. AWESOME replacement/repair on the zipper!!!

Thanks Rob
  18. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    You're very welcome. I've been keeping pretty busy with repairs lately. Boat cover, a couple jackets, and I have one boot on the bench that needs a zipper.

Feel free to reach out if you need some gear repaired or improved.
  19. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    And those two-way zippers you put in my cold weather bibs are excellent! Thanks Rob!
  20. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sent you a PM...