Ct - I Repair Riding Gear

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by akarob, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Capt. REDBEARD

Capt. REDBEARD TWECO

Oddometer:

ahhh c'mon paul - just trying to get a rise outta ya'........
    just jokes - just jokes
  2. KTMtrailrider

KTMtrailrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my riding pants back from Rob tonight. He even shipped them to me via mail to save me the trip down there (and gas)! As with the repairs he did on my riding boots, the work is first rate, and I'm sure it will hold up nicely.

Thank again Rob!
  3. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Glad you like them. :D
  4. bomberdave

bomberdave black cloud wandering

Oddometer:
    sleeve zipper replacement on a vanson jacket? the lining is trashed so you dont have to screw around with that. just want both zippers replaced and heavy duty thread used.
  5. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Ok, PM me the details and I'll be glad to work it out with you. If you could take some pictures, that would help a lot. Heavy duty thread is not a problem at all. My standard thread (nylon size E per V-T-295) has an 11lb strength - none of that cheap stuff you find in a quilt shop. At work I can sew through ANYTHING using thread with a 34lb breaking strength.

Strong is what I do.
  6. bomberdave

bomberdave black cloud wandering

Oddometer:
    pmed ya
  7. zestymac

zestymac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got mine in the mail today for my WR250X.

WOW! :clap

Well thought out and constructed. Blue piping is the tits. Cant wait to be sportin' that bad boy....

Recommendo!

Cheers, Rick
  8. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    I sent you a pm with some pics Let me know if you didnt get it or did get it....
  9. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    Rob, thanks again for the waterproof replacement zipper on my Olympia waterproof liner jacket. Very nice work and the detail of sewing the zipper fold over at the top was a nice touch! Thanks!
  10. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Glad you like how it came out Dave. I was happy to see the zipper I ordered was a nice waterproof YKK brand. It should last a while.
  11. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know you were kiddin, I was long overdue on picking it up. I wore it last weekend on a powerline run. The repair was flawless as usual.
    How's married life treating you? :D
  12. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    watching.....
  13. Ichthy Rider

Ichthy Rider Fishie

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of BMW boots where both zippers are split and (I think) need to be replaced. Can you do that?
  14. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I could get the machine to sew them. It has to be something I can get under the needle. If you take a picture of them I can say for sure, but I think a special kind of machine would be required.
  15. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Yea, you need that long thin arm (or foot?) to get in there. It's also good for doing sleeve zippers without splitting the whole thing wide open. That's one machine that I don't think I have access to.
  17. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    Error Wife, if akarob can't set you up, try a local cobbler. I took one of my boots to get a new zip after the original split (I always felt like there was something wrong with it), and they set me up. I've got another year and a half on the boot and it's still going strong.
  18. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Yea, there's another guy in CT doin repairs too - "bikesnstitches" I think.
  19. Somber

Somber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    akarob - howdy, saw your rear fender bags post and your signature there led me to this thread, maybe you can help me...

I have a Giant Loop "Great Basin", and I apparently have the worst luck in the world because I'm having major issues with mine despite seemingly every other person on the site loving them. The main issue I'm having is with the straps. I dunno if there was a bad lot of strap material or what, but they are all going super crunchy/brittle on me even tho I've not had the bag very long. They are also fraying where I'm strapping through my rear rack, and one of them burned through by the exhaust despite me having the heat shield they sell installed...

I'm frankly fed up with the whole product at this point, but I hate seeing stuff go to waste. I am using Rok Straps in the same locations and they are working like champs. What I was hoping is that you could take a look at the bag and see if you can come up with a way to integrate some Rok Straps in place of the originals. I was thinking I could source some straps, load them into the bag and box it up and ship it out to you, you could take a shot at it - if it doesn't look like it will work I'll be glad to pay for your time/trouble to evaluate it and you can make use of the materials to patch some other peoples stuff, or toss it in the trash/etc... or if you can make it work (and I'm betting you can), you could get her upgraded for me.

Let me know what you think, if you need me to take some pictures or something let me know... I was just going to send a PM, but figured if I asked in the thread you'd get a bump out of it and maybe this could give some other people some options if you think you can do something for me.

Thanks for your time.
    Paul/Somber
  20. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Sure, that's something I can easily make better than new. I have some aluminum coated kevar fabric that can be used to over some new REAL webbing. That Chinese shit is horrible. I ONLY use Military and Parachute specification textiles, made in the USA.

I look forward to checking it out, I've never really examined one. I think they are made from silicone coated Cordura. I'd make bags like that myself but I'm not able to spend $1000 for a 75 yard roll of fabric quite yet.