Ct - I Repair Riding Gear

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by akarob, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I wonder if you could make me a new tonneau cover for my Ural hack. The OEM one is some sort of fabric-backed vinyl of mediocre quality and is all stretched out.
  2. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    What part is that? The cover over the side car opening?

How does it attach? Snaps?

And what material are you looking for? I typically have black Cordura in stock but I can oder pretty much anything. I could do a tan leather one if you wanted to spend the money on it.

It sounds like an interesting project that is quite do-able. It sure helps that you are in CT, because if it's what I think it is, I would probably need the bike to get the fit perfect. (that's why I only advertise in Northeast section) Price would depend mostly on materials.
  3. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    Yup, it's the one that covers the sidecar opening. It attaches in the back with round grommets over pegs, but with odd rectangular grommets and straps in the front. You would probably have to reuse the OEM ones.

I would want it made out of either cordura, which I could waterproof somehow, or maybe a good quality, marine-grade vinyl depending on cost. I'd also want to delete the slots for the hack windshield frame, which would probably make it simpler.

Tan leather sounds cool though . . .
  4. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:

Should look like this?....... leather would be Groovy!

Attached Files:

5. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    From what I'm told, from the guy in the fabric shop, is that black leather is the hardest to produce, thus more expensive. If you think tan leather would look acceptable, it will save you a few clams.

Figure the leather to be around $100-$150. I have grommets, that's not a problem. If you want to continue to work out the details and really make this happen, PM me.
  6. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I just thought I'd post some pictures of some recent jobs. There haven't been too many "finished shots" lately.

This one is a routine repair. Worn out pants. Typically, the cuffs get wrecked and the seat lets go.
    The legs were done with black leather and the seat was black Cordura. Notice the double back-stitching on every corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This next one was a jacket that needed the arm extended. I added another cuff. It came out quite well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. ErricZ

ErricZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, can you sew a mouse pad to the bottom of my tank bag so it doesn't slip around?
  8. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Sure, if I can get it under the foot of one of my machines, it'll be no problem.

Another option is velcro. If you stick some strips of fuzzy (loop side) velcro on the tank and sew the hook strips into the bag, it would hold great. The velcro would be non-permanent.

I think the best option (for you) is to just use some silicone on the bottom of the bag. Just get a tube and squeeze out some big beads onto the bottom of the bag and spread it out with a glue spreader and let it dry. I honestly think that's what I'd do.
  9. ErricZ

ErricZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now THAT, sir, is a great idea. BTW, I've been stumping for you on one of my other BMW Motorcycle forums! :D
  10. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Great thanks. If you want to offer my services, go for it. I'll be straight up with people. If I don't know if I can do a job, I usually pass instead of wrecking something. You'ld be surprised what I can pull off though. If I can get it in a machine, I can sew pretty much any material thickness. It's pretty impressive.
  11. ErricZ

ErricZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wanna buy another 1950's Singer? :norton
  12. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I might if it's a different, more heavy duty model. Especially if it has a walking foot or a double needle.

I already have two of the kind you see in the picture there. It's a really nice machine. Smooth as butter with reverse.
  13. slojo363

slojo363 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM sent. Would like to get some pants shortened.
  14. Somber

Somber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    akarob took a shot to help me fix up my Giant Loop Great Basin bag that was having strap issues. He suffered through a lot of back/forth messages with me trying to figure out what exactly I was wanting done, and in the end I got the bag back and it is much closer to the bombproof GL originally promised now!

Thanks much for the help Rob, check your paypal for a tip for the good work and customer service.

Oh - one thing to note, I told Rob I didn't care what it looked like, I wanted function over form and the best straps he had available - so I now have blood red straps on a KTM orange bag :huh - so be careful what you ask for :D I guess I need some REPSOL or Redbull stickers now to get some more red in the mix, heh
  15. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Glad you like it. That's a pretty nice bag. It should hold up to years of motorcycle adventuring.
  16. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need a repair on a pair of fieldsheer riding pants. The right leg at the bottom inside is getting ripped by my new bike. Haven't figured out why. Also the inside lining is ripped. What do you think turn-around time would be if I dropped them off?
  17. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    I can do it in a day or so. Sounds like you will need some leather sewn to the inside of the legs. I may be out of shiny black leather right now, but I have enough black suade.
  18. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could send pics tomorrow if you need them.
  19. Hakatan

Hakatan quality > quantity

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob:

Your signature line in another thread led me here.

I have a Aerostich Darien coat that I would love to have the collar modified to better fit my Leatt neck brace.

I saw a post on ADV where Zen Slug modified his old non-Leatt coat to make it Leatt-compatible. Lacking any sewing skills myself, I am wondering if that is a job you would consider tackling?

I'm near Hartford, so a face-to-face meeting/fitting would be doable.

Thanks!
  20. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    We can make that happen if you like. Is the jacket going to be attached to the brace somehow? Velcro?

It would certainly be next to impossible to do correctly if you didn't model it for me. I'll have to mark the jacket while you are wearing it. We can meet for lunch if you like. I'll bring some work samples along as well. PM me your phone number and I'll call you tonight.