CT to Caniapiscau

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CavReconSGT, Mar 8, 2015.

1. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question: Is James Bay Road paved to HERE?
  2. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
  3. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    James Bay Road is paved to Radisson, which is the end of the line:D
  4. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    TT was the coldest trip we've done in Canada to date. We were almost the same dates as you (late Aug), and it seemed that the rain moves in most evenings. We were lucky that our riding kit would dry out overnight in the comfort of the hotel, but just be prepared for cold and wet north.

Another note--supply and demand economics are in the full swing. As such, this trip was much more expensive than our longer Trans-Lab trip. Food at the end of the universe apparently will cost a lot to truck in. The good news for land lovers is that good steak is the same price as spaghetti. We paid $6/gal for fuel at the remote float stations.
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/a/awryders_IMG_3065.jpg

What was that white stuff I see at the roadside everywhere ?:deal:lol3

B R R R R R R ! I don't need to go all the way up to the taiga to see that !:rofl
    What date was that picture taken, not in July I bet !
    Another benefit of a midsummer trip there would be the long hours of daylight. Come September and it will be much shorter , less riding time available.
  6. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
  7. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
  8. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Yes it is. Thanks. I will probably add that area to the list.

KR
  9. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a new word to add to my vocabulary.:clap Part of the draw going there is the dull geography and some of the wildlife. The first time I heard wolves howl was when going up that direction and camping in one of their Natonal Park type Reserves. It sounded pretty close and I did not sleep well. :eek1
  10. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

I knew what he meant. :evil

I have heard that camping in NH and it wasn't unnerving until I started hearing others answering the first one and it sounded like I was surrounded. I mean, they were a ways away but it sounded like they were everywhere. Of course., these weren't supposed to be wolves. I suspect they were coyotes. But you should see some of the pictures of the coyotes in our areas. They have supposedly done DNA testing on them and they have a lot of wolf in them. Cross breeding that wasn't supposed to happen.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ds-coyotes-wolf-virginia-dna-animals-science/

Speaking of the national parks. Can you just pull off anywhere and camp or do you have to register and use specific spots?

KR
  11. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the ones I have been in are just like American State and National Parks. Outside of those areas there are usually abandoned timber harvesting yarding areas, just off the highways, where people pull over and camp.

Esther in http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986631 elaborates on this on her northern Canadian leg of her North American tour a the end of her report. She never had any problems that I recall except a bear or two which she easily handled. My foray was in the early 1970s and obviously is not current.:lol3
  12. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I thought the dam was quite pretty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, I there were quite a few of the dams that you could schedule a day to 2 in advance and tour for free.
  13. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are free tours of two dams( Le Grand 1 and Legrand 2 if I remember) in the vicinity of Radisson. You can make appointments to join a tour by telephone or Internet but you can also do so in person at the tourism office in the big Hydro Quebec building in downtown Radisson .
    Then all you need to do is show up at that office before 8 am of the day of your tour and get on the bus . Tours last until after noon .
    If you want to see both dams then you need to schedule two separate day trips.
    You can ride across the dam of # 1 which is downstream of Radisson , on your way to the coast .
    The # 2 is upstream .
  14. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information. I am considering taking at least one of the tours. It will depend on whatever time constraints I have to fight.

KR
  15. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    It is pretty much all set for the trip.

Attached Files:

16. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Well, I have been hoping to go to Alaska someday. Instead I was going to spend two weeks and try a shakedown trip to Caniapiscau before I attempt an Alaskan trip. My first real adventure since my kids have been grown. Unfortunately, I had an accident not one quarter of a mile from my house. Police charged the other driver with running the stop sign she had. I broadsided her Bronco probably around 15 or 20 mph. I have some minor injuries worst of which appears to be a badly sprained right wrist. Pretty good bruising to my abdomen and bi-lateral injuries to my lower legs along with a pretty good abrasion. I know I am probably lucky but the front of the bike appears to be toast. I am not sure if I'll be making any of the trips I had planned for this year. Even if the bike is fixed in time, I don't know if my wrist will heal in time. My original two day ride was scheduled for 6/20.

KR
  17. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ouch :eek1

That sucks ... and though its likely little comfort when you lose the trip you've been planning but I'm glad to hear that you are OK. Sorry that the bike is toast too, starting over is no fun. I hope the bangs and bruises heal fast - and you can get on the road again soon.

Coming off a hand injury myself - wrists/hands heal in their own time ... and rushing it really doesn't make a damn bit of difference.
  18. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Very sorry to hear this.

Hope for speedy recovery and many great trips afterwards.
  19. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the sentiments. Yeah, a sprain usually takes longer to heal than a break. We will see, I'm no kid anymore either, hitting 58 this year so I'll just have to wait and see how long it takes to recover.

KR
    markcevans57 likes this.
  20. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer to read about your injury but glad it wasn't worse.

I have had to delay trips a couple of times in my life, once because work got hectic when I planned to go. Another delay for my dad's health.

In both cases I made the trips one year late. In both cases I believe that they were better trips because of the delay but that's impossible to prove.

I hope you will be able to go.