1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Honda Z50 Build & Garage Happenings

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by pancholasvegas, Jul 2, 2020.

1. pancholasvegas

pancholasvegas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You say that, but I would bet there’s over 100 gallons of purple paint used through the shop! I don’t know how but at some point in history purple became our color. Even got used on one of my mini bike builds. 42106609-386C-4ECB-8ABF-138E0DF1AAE6.jpeg

Attached Files:

Wildebeest90210 and scot_douglas like this.
  2. pancholasvegas

Oddometer:
    Getting a few last minute items finished up before the trailer race tomorrow. After sitting around talking, we decided that we should put a cotter pin through the threads of the trailer ball. No problem, we’ll drill out a hole and pin it.

Unsurprisingly, the drill bit snapped going through the ball. I don’t think we could break it like this again if we tried. Well, don’t need a pin now! That’ll work. 1FAF22A4-7E1F-4C56-997A-7E96EE0AA902.jpeg
  3. pancholasvegas

Oddometer:
    Been a little bit since the last update - but things have been incredibly busy between things in the garage, truck shopping and wedding planning.

Last update you may recall that we had the trailer race coming up that weekend. Things were going well until they didn’t anymore 66B60979-D254-4E7D-973B-160A85E481AB.jpeg
    D2585CF2-3192-413B-AE6D-AD4DCE99AC1B.jpeg
    Had ourselves a little electrical fire that took us out. Ended up pulling off a 4th place finish, not quite what I wanted but that’s the way things go.
    At least we got a good photo. And yes, we did just throw the trailer in/on the truck to take it to the scrap yard. F46E0D37-701F-48AD-B3CD-D6AE74A13EF5.jpeg

After that, ended up having working in the garage trying to find out why one of our golf carts wouldn’t start. After much troubleshooting and scratching our heads, waiting on a new condenser to come in the mail and see if that helps our issues. This one is throwing some weird issues. At first, it would only spark right when you finished turning the key to start. Checked and redid some of the wiring and connections. Now it’s getting spark during the full ignition cycle, but doesn’t seem to want to fire.Hopefully the new condenser helps at least better the spark quality and we can at least cross that off a possibility list. Next, would like to check the timing and see if that has something to do with it, which we suspect to be the case. Whatever it is is likely to be something small and easily missed, as this thing ran like a top until suddenly it just didn’t want to do it anymore. 233FFF25-775D-4CB4-AB37-968DE5503322.jpeg
  4. pancholasvegas

Oddometer:
    So - ended up getting a brand new tank & headlight bucket/assembly in the mail already. Tank is from Japan and headlight from eBay. Both will work perfectly.

09F44DB5-417D-4ED8-B271-C1357A7633FC.jpeg E4194FF5-8A36-42D6-9F92-5692374AAACD.jpeg B6BB378B-34FF-42A6-B679-6A61D0318627.jpeg

05C2A54A-D9AB-4129-A417-CFC17954D561.jpeg

I wanted to get a hold of a brake pedal setup so that I could use that in our measurements to find out what sort of impact dropping the bike will have and if that would interfere. Fortunately, a friend of mine had a spare brake pedal, and was able to machine the necessary bolt and bushing required to make it all work. He dropped that off yesterday. 4800475C-76F7-4CEC-952F-06552406CA5D.jpeg

I got the axles switched around and used some washers to mock up the space that the chain adjusters will take up so we can proceed with measuring this this so we can drop it on it’s ass. 40419690-FEFE-41EB-A2F5-2B9AB6ADA9E4.jpeg

I wasn’t able to get a whole lot done this weekend. I’m on the hunt for a new truck. Ended up driving 5 hours to Nebraska this Saturday to look at a truck that was promised to be in perfect condition for it’s age and mileage. I think I spent 7 minutes at the dealer before turning around and driving back home. Waste of a day.

If anyone wants to offer some advice - original plan to lower the bike was to cut off and move the axle plates upwards a bit. Now I’m second guessing myself and wondering if it would be best just to cut a section from the frame section above the axle plates and re-weld? Any opinions?

Attached Files:

5. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Reposition the axle plates:thumb
  6. pancholasvegas

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your insight, Bluetonguejak! Is there any reason that you can think of to recommend sticking with that plan that I may not have actually considered?
  7. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    Cutting/shutting frame would be a PIA.

Cut original plates off.
    Make a couple of longer plates and clamp them on the frame in different positions until you get desired drop. Trim profile and weld to frame.

I rebuilt a '71 Z50 many moons ago (slightly customized) that had a damaged plate(chain rub).
    Plate was easy to make and it looked original.
    Even kept the damaged plate as it had the VIN# from memory - prolly hanging in the workshop still.

Still got the bike in storage - been under a sheet for 10+ years - better get it out and dust it off!
    scot_douglas and Fast Idle like this.
  8. wheatfly

wheatfly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you post a picture or two of the underside of the tank from webike? I'm curious what the contours look like as replacment for my bike.

Thanks.
    Shannon

9. pancholasvegas

Oddometer:
    Yes, when I get home today I will get some shots of the tank for you
  10. pancholasvegas

Oddometer:
    Shannon, see the pictures below. 561DF928-0CEE-458A-8E34-A66650DD319E.jpeg 0238325F-8E5A-40B4-A430-B098C6DA9669.jpeg 073C0F8D-0C83-48F8-A7B1-78E5C4F74CA0.jpeg
    Bluetonguejak likes this.
  11. Bluetonguejak

Oddometer:
    That tank brings back memories.
    Fortunately the tank on the mini-trail i cleaned-up was serviceable.
    Painted it 2-tone black into grey 2 pack.
    Love the tank badges.:raabia

IMG_0852.JPG

Rebuilt it for kids 15 years ago.
    They thrashed it, crashed it and it never missed a beat until my fat drunk mate got on it late at night and damaged the gearbox(slips out of 3rd now).:dirtdog
    Been on it's table covered-over for years - better dust it off and tidy it up.
    As it sits now.:(
    IMG_0851.JPG

Sorry for Hijack

Getting inspiration from your build:super
    ArdenLoneWolf and Fast Idle like this.
  12. pancholasvegas

Oddometer:
    Love it! I've finally got some time in the garage today, so I cut out a couple templates of cardboard to get an eyeball of how low I can go before we start interfering with fitment on some of the essentials. I think that what I've determined so far is that 1.5 inches is a bit too much. Taking a lunch break and then back out to see what I can figure out.
  13. wheatfly

wheatfly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pictures of the tank underside. Word to the wise, looks like I shouldn't have slept on in it.

I had looked around webike a bit and looking to buy some some other stuff. The tank I put in the cart was showing a few in stock. Now when I click on it in my cart it says item is discontinued and to delete from my cart. :|
  14. pancholasvegas

Oddometer:
    I believe there are still a few re-pops on eBay, non-finished so they are bare steel. They’re a bit more than the ones on WeBike, but might be your only option. I spoke with CHP and they informed me that they will not be getting anymore re-pop tanks in stock, and originals are getting tough to find in useable shape. Last one I had had to have about 40 pinhole closed on the bottom.
  15. wheatfly

wheatfly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    REALLY kicking my self for not hitting the order button....... my current tank has some previous repairs from the original owner long ago and quite a few pinholes Ive been contemplating how to fix.
  16. pancholasvegas

Oddometer:
    Check this out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-Z50A...105543?hash=item3ac8b06107:g:9NcAAOSwd4tT~RYT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-Z50A...346623?hash=item2cb89532bf:g:NpoAAOSwA3dYdPHd

I've had a couple different tanks repaired in a couple ways - I had a Z50 tank that had a pinhole brazed shut, another that had the bottom cut out and a new patch sectioned in, one that I soldered the holes shut and then lined with Caswell liner, another was tigwelded shut. Multiple ways to skin a cat.
  17. pancholasvegas

Oddometer:
    Had a couple minutes the other day to step out in the garage and play around with some cardboard templates for the drop. 91D7C8B4-DFDA-43B2-9151-45B899E710CD.jpeg
    Getting somewhere, but not quite there yet. Going to stop by the welding shop this week and work with a buddy on getting it situated.

Playtime came to end when a buddy called and asked if I wanted to take an extra drillpress off his hands. Uhh hell yeah. 363880FF-C82E-43EC-BA16-67C4588A5BF3.jpeg

Got that home and then spent a little while cleaning up one of the old Honda’s I’ll never actually get around to and put that up for sale. 1969 Honda QA50. Hopefully it moves quick. 6E9B8751-966B-41B5-8E4D-DB0F4EE821A3.jpeg
    It needs to go before I change my mind and decide I want to keep it.

Anyway, my hunt for a truck is finally over. Lucked out the other day and found a pretty nice GMC Sierra. I had sold my Tacoma a few weeks ago because it seems my needs for a full-size truck are really starting to show lately. Have been having to borrow a full-size pretty often. I haven’t been truck shopping in years - so I was pretty blown away with how expensive full size trucks are. Definitely caught me off guard. Took several weeks, but finally found something I can live with and for a reasonable price. Small amount of rust, but nothing some fender flares can’t fix ;) BA2F0061-D2EC-481C-AF97-C7E4CE9B80C8.jpeg

Anyway - does anyone have any experience with the cheapo harbor freight pipe bender? I’m thinking ahead about how the exhaust is going to be built on this bike and thinking I might try my hand at putting it together myself. Wondering if I’ll be able to get the bends I need out of the harbor freight bender to pull this off. Last exhaust we built, had a buddy at the factory do all the bends. Would be much easier to do the bends at home. I’ll be using the head of the pipe I’ve already got, thinking I’ll run the rest of it with 1” OD tubing. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

Ozarkroadrunner likes this.
  18. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind you can buy a few pieces of full bends and cut the amount of angle you need and weld them all up. Just a different way to skin that cat, unless you wanted a bender.
  19. pancholasvegas

Oddometer:
    Good thinking. I guess my thought process was that it would be cheaper to just buy round tube & bend myself instead of pre-bends. I think that I'm going to have to use 1" OD tubing for the exhaust, turning up with the bends that I had in mind was a bit difficult - maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I just know that the last time we built an exhaust we had to have buddy do the bends for use. Maybe I'm just convincing myself I need a bender because I want to buy more tools? Seems to be a common theme...
    Ozarkroadrunner and Bt10 like this.
  20. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see another lowered 50, looks like progress!