Custom Leather Belts, camera straps

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by onurleft, Jun 30, 2019.

1. onurleft

onurleft OTR

Oddometer:
    I've been making these for family and friends now that I'm retired. I don't have a store or website. I sold one to inmate @Hosebag who likes his and is interested in another. Everyone is happy with the belts I've made them, so I thought I'd offer them for sale here.

The belts are customized to your specific measurements, and come in a variety of colors and buckle styles. The hole spacing is either 1/2", 3/4", or 1". My favorite for comfort is 1/2". Most store bought are 1".

All belts I carry are single piece solid leather straps, and are 1 1/2" wide. The buckles are either brass, or nickel plated brass (sturdy). I finish the belts in a variety of ways that can affect price such as buckles held by snaps (good for swapping buckles), buckles sewn into the belt, single or double bar buckle where the single requires an extra loop to hold the belt tail down to be made, basic edge slicking vs edge dye finished edges. Edges can be left raw, or smoothed/burnished/slicked.

I keep it simple. I don't carve designs in leather, or spend time running a stitch the entire length of the belt as that would be just too expensive. Any stitching is done by hand and is a double loop style, none by machine.

The back edge against the body are beveled, and the end of the belt holding the buckle down is skived to reduce bulk against the body to optimize comfort.

I live in my RV as I travel the US. As such I carry limited supplies and will attempt to describe current inventory. As well, my current location is an hour away from the closest post office. I tend to go to town every 2 weeks currently until the end of August.

I'll try to clarify the prices but PM's will be needed to verify color, buckle style, variations in build, and measurements. All prices include USPS shipped ONLY to the lower 48.

The belts are made one at a time by hand. I have no idea what the interest is, but approximate ETA's will be provided ahead of time. When we agree on the specifics, payment will be due via Paypal, the belt will then be built.

The following are examples of belts I've made and are offered to indicate pricing, and are not intended to depict current buckle style or belt color availability.

$50 - Basic belt (no edge dye needed), double bar buckle, held on by 2 Line 20 snaps.
    2018_1022_16295800.jpg
    2018_1223_13543400.jpg

$55, extra $5 to sew double bar buckle in
    2018_1022_16261000~2.jpg

$65 - Edge dyed and slicked, brass buckle sewn down (my personal belt)
    IMG_20190526_160052126.jpg

$70 - Edge dyed and slicked, buckle sewn in, single bar buckle used requiring hand-made loop to hold belt tail down.
    IMG_20181122_185801747.jpg

$55, snapped in buckle no upcharge, single bar buckle needing loop to hold tail (this specific buckle is not currently available)
    IMG_20190526_074108562.jpg

Current buckles in inventory. Bottom left is an econo model of the one above it (still nickel plated brass, just not as substantial in material) and can knock $5 off an order.
    IMG_20190629_202058749.jpg

Current belt inventory in varying lengths from L to R, or top to bottom. Colors are hard to capture in varying light, and each order I make the blanks can vary in color.
    Rich Chestnut (3)
    Black (5)
    Chestnut (1)
    Oxblood (3)
    Rich Brown (2)
    Antique Cowboy Brown (2)
    IMG_20190630_081943287~2.jpg
    IMG_20190630_082932690.jpg

PM me with questions.

Mark
    9Realms likes this.
  2. Hosebag

Hosebag Difficult but Useful

Oddometer:
    There's little I can add to Mark's description of his belts. Remember when you bought a pair of shoes/boots/ jeans/ gloves etc. etc. that were 'just right'? My Dad would say "when you find something like that, get another one, you'll be sorry if you don't". Quality. Period. I love mine.
    onurleft likes this.
  3. onurleft

onurleft OTR

Oddometer:
    Now making camera straps with mounting hardware for post style attachments. Wider than stock straps for comfort. Thread can be higher contrast, or a brown or black.

The leather shown is smooth on both sides, and saddle stitched by hand. No cookie cutter machinery used.

$50 includes shipping to lower 48. IMG_20191106_083854_754.jpg
  4. onurleft

onurleft OTR

Oddometer:
    Another example using a heavier leather, fairly wide (1.5") to support heavier cameras.
    IMG_20191110_124524578~2.jpg