Custom rubber clutch lines?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drop_Center, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put bar risers on my bike and needed a longer clutch line, but the steel one makes it too grabby for my likes. I'm having a hard time finding anyone that makes them in anything but steel.
  2. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the fittings are common - or somewhat - you can probably have one custom made. There are a couple of shops near me that do custom hydraulic lines. I recently had a short brake line made on the spot.
  3. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can find the fittings a tractor shop can workup a hyd clutch line. Lot of NAPA autoparts stores used to make custom hyd lines while you wait. Again the proper fittings may be an issue but also check with your local autoparts store, you may find an existing hyd brake/clutch hose for a car/pickup that will work.
    I also don't get your issue of a steel line making your clutch "grabby". I'd look elsewhere for your grabby problem.
    nickguzzi likes this.
  4. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't mind someone using the fittings from the steel line, I'll look around locally.

I don't know if grabby is the right word but it's a problem others with my bike have had as well.
  5. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Good hydraulic shops may be able to reuse your fittings and crimp a new longer line onto them.

I had that done back then on both brake lines and oil cooler lines.However that won't work on my BMW with the hard plastic clutch line,them banjos aren't reusable.

Not a lot of pressure inside a clutch line.A few hundred pounds at the most.300? I very much doubt that a SS braided Teflon line would make for a grabby clutch.
    nickguzzi likes this.
  6. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another wondering why a hydraulic line is being blamed for problems that are likely caused somewhere else.
  7. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    Every bike I own has braided metal lines , clutch action is way better than rubber lines . I’d be looking for a problum someplace else . And brakes are like model T versus a new car different .
  8. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    1. Use braided steel and fix the other problem, which might be in your head. Your might think the brake is "grabby" just because you are not accustomed to having balloon in the hydraulic system. Adjust your input.

2. Order a longer rubber hose from another bike by the same manufacturer. I did this once when I added a windshield and changed bars on a Yamaha Seca 650.
  9. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    I'm also in the camp of not understanding why you imagine a braided line is affecting the action of a hydraulic clutch.

Source: I upgraded all the hydraulic lines on my V-Strom, including the clutch line. Big upgrade to the brakes, zero effect on the clutch feel.
    9Realms likes this.
  10. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    Keep the steel one. Get the air out of the system.
    Get you operator skills in order.
    Carry on.