CUSTOM SADDLE: Russell Day Long Saddle: this is how it should be!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by GB, Nov 29, 2005.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently ordered a Russell Day Long saddle. I've wanted to try one for years, but due to my short stature, I didn't think I could flat foot it on a GS with a Russell Day Long.. WRONG!!

http://www.day-long.com/

I sent my order with 2 pics of me on my bike, and told them my stock saddle is tilted too far forward crushing the jewels...

I just received it and I can't believe how comfortable is it, and how they've managed to sculpt it so narrow at the front, so I can flat foot it with ease on my 12GS.

[​IMG]

I went with the new Half Moon design, which has the least amount of stitching on the surface. It's leather with vinyl sides, which is what they recommended for the GS, and it costs less than all leather. The seating area is all leather, built on a spring subframe.. what a difference!

[​IMG]

I expected my saddle sometime in January, as my build date was early Dec. At it turned out, they squeezed mine in on days without ride in appointments and it was done in about a week after they received my stock saddle pan.

[​IMG]

Customer service was top notch as well. Shipping to Canada wasn't a problem. The saddle arrived in about a week's time by USPS Express!

Here's what the stock seat looks like next to the Russell seat. Notice how much narrower at the front the Russell is, to allow my 30" inseam on my 5' 9" to reach the ground. Every seat is unique and is built to match the customer's height and weight.

[​IMG]

It's narrower at the front and wider at the rear to support your butt...

Can't wait to take it out for a long ride... but just from sitting on it, it's more comfortable than the padded chair I'm sitting on to write this report.

As they say, often imitated, never duplicated! A completely positive experience. Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten! And the price wasn't any more than any other custom seat builder.
  2. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:
    yeppers fo sho !!!
  3. mmmpies

mmmpies 101 in a 55

Oddometer:
    WOW, that looks great! Looking forward to the ride report.

I wish they could've made mine that narrow on my RT...
  4. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer:
    WOW! That is a nice saddle. I've always ordered a Bill Mayer saddle and I've been satisfied but this one looks fantastic. I'd like mine to be narrow at the front and I'm tired of sliding on my crotch..

GB:
    Are you saying this Russell saddle is not inclined forward, yet you're comfortable at the back? :ear
  5. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer:
    BTW: Bill Mayer Sr. sold his patented seat design to Russell.. that's too bad, as IMO, the Russell seat suspension cannot be beat for long day comfort.
  6. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    The only weakness I found with this saddle is where your thigh rubs at the stitching. I have full leather and the leather wears away and the stitching opens up. I will confirm that Russell fixed this out of warranty with no other questions asked.

I was at 50K miles when this failed.
  7. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    Nice Job Gadget Boy! That thing looks sweet. :thumb

The shape of the Russell seat just looks so correct for support and comfort. Its more like a saddle than a seat. I have never owned one but I have done a couple of hundred miles on one and found it to be incredible. The spring loaded bun cushions are great. I wish I would have bought one of those instead of my BMS seat. I am not unhappy with my BMS seat but I'm not thrilled with it either. It is pretty good up to about 500-600 miles. Then I am in pain. The only way I can do 1000 mile days is by putting my airhawk on my BMS seat. Me thinks the Russell would allow me to forgo the airhawk. :D
  8. GB

Oddometer:
    Yes, no more sliding forward or sitting on my crotch.. sitting on this saddle is a revelation.

I was very specific when I sent my order in: I told them about my issues with my stock saddle, mainly the tilt forward putting weight on my crotch, and my need to be able to flat foot it.

They addressed both issues and told me it would be better if I changed my order from all leather to leather in the seating area only, and have the sides made of vinyl. Looking at the saddle now, I can't tell one from the other. It all looks good.
  9. GB

Oddometer:
    Karl,

I had a Rick Mayer before this one and have had 3 other Rick Mayers in the past, and one on my second bike. I found I needed to raise the front of the saddle in order for it be level, but I was always curious about the Russell.

I let a friend have a good deal on my Rick Mayer and we swapped seats. I sent his stock seat to Russell. It's mild enough outside that a short ride will be possible, but riding season is just about over.. till the beginning of April.

If you think you'll be doing long days, this is the seat to get and it sounds like they stand behind their work, past the warranty. That's good to know. I'm sure the Mayer brothers, who take pride in their work, would do the same thing.

I should have taken a side profile showing how horizontal the seat is on the bike. I like it a lot. As soon as I sat on it, any doubt I had evaporated. I had visions of having to send it back for an adjustment... but they nailed it right the first time. I think my precise instructions about what I was looking for in a saddle, the large pics I enclosed, and also talking on the phone to the guy who was going to be working on my saddle clinched it. :thumb
  10. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    that thing looks roomier than some apartments i've lived in! :lol3
  11. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I did the ride-in service at Russell and now have over 100k on the seat. The original velour/vinyl cover was replaced many miles ago by an automotive upholstery shop.
    I think some of the padding needs to be 'renewed' at this time.
    This seat and the windshield are the 2 best improvements made to the bike.
  12. GB

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 I'll let you try it next season and promise you won't hate me for it the way you've done for other things! :lol3

I'd send it back to them, and tell them how you've been telling everyone what a great saddle they make.. I'm sure they'll give you a good deal on renewing the padding..

I'm with you: Windshield and seat are the 2 best improvements I'm made on the GS, oh, and the Fastway pegs.
  13. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    Helluva post, GB! And thanks for the pics!
  14. mrmaico

mrmaico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, that looks comfy Rick! Here I thought I had my next big splurge all figured out (GPS), I may have to rethink that now. It goes without saying I would use a new seat a lot more than a gps. Lets see, what can I Ebay?........:evil
  15. GB

Oddometer:
    Barry,
    It's money well spent.. your nuts and butt will thank you! :lol3
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forget E-bay, if you are going with a Russell, get it made, otherwise it wont work for you. Besides, I have yet to see a 12GS Russell on E-bay.

My old RS came with a Russell, and it was fine moving, but way to wide to get my feet down, I ended up sliding off on one toe. I sold it, and got a cut down Corbin. Works for me, as my 12GS cut down Corbin does. But if I was willing to spend the big bucks, a Russell is hard to beat.

As for the GPS, there are lots of great places to get good prices on them, better than E-bay usually.

Jim :brow
  17. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    Yeah, for slabbing it. :D
  18. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Uh...no Scooter(sht)....:D

Anything interesting going on? Taking over the World soon?
  19. mrmaico

mrmaico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually Jim, what I meant was.....what can I sell on Ebay to afford a Russell. I just sent a 50 year old Canon 35mm SLR off for a cleaning with the intent of selling it when it comes back. One just like it sold recently for a little over $500......anyone interested? :evil
  20. GB

Oddometer:
    Barry,
    You know you want one! Especially if you've suffering with the stock saddle. If you need any other info, drop me a line! :freaky