Custom Shocks

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by davebig, Feb 3, 2016.

1. rodhotter

rodhotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    another option is Penske in Reading Pa, not cheap but they know a LITTLE about shocks. wonder if they ever did a sidecar shock? they did a great job on my firm!! riding Vic Hammer building a DeCarbon shock for it, the separated internal reservoir is said to resist overheating + they are said to use Redline's fine suspension fluid in them
  2. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
  3. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My hps rig is supposed to have a Penske on the chair. I haven't picked it up yet so I don't know how it works a.
  4. davebig

Oddometer:
    What I know about sidecar wheel shocks medium light damping and the correct spring make the monkees happier, if the driver has a swaybar equipped rig he will notice very little difference between a decent shock and a Progressive but the passenger will right away and be impressed !
    pops, FR700 and Bobmws like this.
  5. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    My wife's comment after (unknown to her) I had replaced all 3 shocks: "Wow it's so much smoother, what did you do?"
    Bike got HyperPro's, hack got a YSS from Klaus at EPM after I supplied the weight of each wheel & total.
  6. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels. Supporter

Oddometer:
    interesting reading.

Lucky for my wallet, my wife will not ride in the car so I don't spend money on that. However, like a boat, a hack rig seems to be another place where one can throw money forever.
    rg sw wa., Bobmws and Ridn3 like this.
  7. rodhotter

rodhotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    klaus did a YSS reservoir shock in 2008 for my 06 sportster, i gave him my weight + riding style + got a too stiff shock! in his defense i should have contacted him about it, but did not. HD sportsters generally handle + ride poorly but the fully adjustable cartridge fork from an earlier sportster with a hyperpro spring kit worked well. the YSS was longer than stock as its generally accepted longer shocks-springs can be softer since theres more travel to do the job. suspension on a bike is one thing but few manufacturers deal with rigs!!!
  8. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of trying to get the suspension sorted out on my 2006 XL1200R Sportster with a newly mounted Watsonian Monza. I have Racetech 0.92kg/mm fork springs on the way, now I'm trying to decide on shocks. Racetech will build a pair to order but they're spendy. I'm getting a metallic clank over some bumps like people have mentioned, but I haven't been able to isolate it to a particular cause.

Anyway, I'll follow this thread and I'm all ears if anyone has suggestions for more budget friendly solutions than the $800 Racetechs.
  9. davebig

Oddometer:
    That's easy weigh the complete rig, then each corner front, back sidecar wheel and call Klaus at EPM http://epmperf.com/
    it's worked for more than one of us on this forum.
    JustKip and DRONE like this.
  10. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    EPM is not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. They sell HyperPro and YSS shocks. Factor in the cost to have an expert (Klaus) determine your ideal spring rate and you're getting a good deal since of course he doesn't charge you for that service, just for the shocks.
  11. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll reach out to them. So far I've been underwhelmed by the customer service at Racetech, Progressive, and Hagon, it would be nice to deal with a company that gave a shit. What kind of ballpark price are we talking about with EPM? I'm trying to talk myself out of a getting a set of $300 heavy duty Progressives and calling it "good enough".
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    EPM charges $900 for a pair of HyperPros for a XL1200R. Don't know about YSS.
  13. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    YSS price range here: http://www.yssusa.com/products_yss.html
    Call Klaus at EPM to discuss what will work best for you concerning spring rate and type of shock. As Dave mentioned previiously having the weight of your rig, total & each wheel is necessary.
  14. Motoblag

Motoblag Replacing skill with will

Oddometer:
    If looking for a set of shocks for the bike, I recommend Traxxion Dynamics: http://www.traxxion.com/ . Their excellent customer service puts them at the top of my list when shopping for suspension parts. They answer questions quickly via email and phone. However, they don't appear to have much sidecar experience so I imagine there may be some discussion around the different needs of an outfit versus solo bike.

I believe they sell only Bitubo and Penske shocks.