cutting corners...running a straight line...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by crowtalks, Nov 24, 2020.

1. crowtalks

crowtalks escaping life, one ride at a time Supporter

Oddometer:
    I posted an older photo I had dug up riding the dragon in a couple of airhead facebook groups . I was running fairly closely to the centerline, as I had a good sightline around the curve and most of the replies were along the lines of reprimands because of my line through the curve. I felt almost like I was being tested by MSF or something. I do tend to cut "straight lines" through curves and esses where I can see well past the curves. Anyone esle do this apparently "uber dangerous" action while riding?

Here is what I posted...

R60 dragon c 12 inch.jpg R60 dragon best 12inch cropped.jpg
  2. TDM Rider

TDM Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I have a clear sight line then sure, why not?
    Traxx, daveinva, Strong Bad and 3 others like this.
  3. crowtalks

Oddometer:
    That's how I think, but the nannys out there...I understand the concern and the comfort level of those willing to point it out, as we are a sorta "family" here...but most of the comments?
    Traxx and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  4. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    I'd let that slide. He's on a BMW...he's just doin' the best he can.

:D
    Traxx, daveinva, Bar None and 8 others like this.
  5. graphite

graphite n00b

Oddometer:
    Plenty of cars take up the entire road to cut their corners. I file this under the usual rule that on a bike you give up your right of way. What you're doing in the photo isnt a big deal but I'd rather have the extra margin and if I was organizing a ride, I wouldn't want to see it.
  6. crowtalks

Oddometer:
    :-) hahahaha
  7. crowtalks

Oddometer:
    I am a road captain with our local CMA chapter and I ride extremely conservative if I am leading a group (especially a group of Harleys)...however, when I am alone...
    Traxx and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    All the time, if I have the visibility I'll cut right to the inside of for me, the right hand side, specially on tight gravel roads. Never a chance of being cleaned up by an oncoming vehicle, because if there is a chance I don't do it.
  9. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reason not to do that is you might be a bit off your game one day, something large comes the other way and whoops. Headless horseman.

It's not bad as such, but it's potentially deadly if it becomes a habit. Your call.
    crowtalks and DR Donk like this.
  10. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure. And been far more over at times.
    As others have said, it depends.

Open roads where I can see well through the turns I’ll approach and run differently than obstructed blind turns. Especially mountain hairpins.
    Traxx, Rockred and Sal Pairadice like this.
  11. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a lot of information out of the camera frame. I am sure I would do that if it was open and I could see. And if I felt like I had my A game that day.
  12. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I've listened to car drivers complain about motorcycles operating close to the center line in curves.

As far as my riding, I will go close to the CL with my tires, keeping in mind I may need a margin to move my body away. As a rule, it is best not to make on coming traffic cringe as you approach. Different rules of thumb apply depending on how curvy or straight local roads are. What passes on the Dragon or its environs may not pass in Nebraska.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tell them they should see your lines when there ISN'T a photographer around!
  14. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    No, because curves are the whole point of riding a motorcycle.
    BLZ2DWL, Bar None, DR Donk and 4 others like this.
  15. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid No Thanks

Oddometer:
    What drives me nuts is on a section of esses when riders turn it into a straightaway. The hot ticket here on 421 among the sportbike contingent is to turn these esses into a straight, white line, cross the yellow all the way to other white line and back again. My impression is they think it is some display of skill because they go through a millisecond faster.

S curve.JPG

The road isn't a racetrack and we aren't getting awards or checks so why not enjoy the esses, the same esses that many people travel hundreds of miles to ride and would love to have in their backyard?

As to having the head over the double yellow, I know I do it when the line of sight is good and would like to do it less due to the aforementioned risks. Kaizen!
    Traxx, shupe, JETalmage and 6 others like this.
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Clear line of sight, why not! Big sweeper can be fun, on pavement or dirt/gravel. I just won't get in the habit.
    Traxx and Rockred like this.
  17. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    My impression is they either enjoy the mental geometry of race lining it, or they have watched too much IOM onboard video. But its not something I would get pissed about unless they came over the line at me. People get enjoyment ( I know I do anyway) out of letting their brain and by extension body interpret the road and find lines that work for speed. This is just an extension of that thinking.

Now, when I see a big group of race clad squids doing this sort of thing in packs I get annoyed too. But a lone rider or a pair out having fun? Nope
  18. crowtalks

Oddometer:
    I only do it if I can see down the road, past the curve
    Traxx and markk53 like this.
  19. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand that, and I did say if it becomes a habit.

The problem is, and others have pointed it out, there are certainly a lot of sports bike riders who ride like this all the time. They don't even think about it any more, just do stupid because that's how they ride. And it's not just guys so I can't blame testosterone poisoning, I've seen women riders do the same. It only takes a moment for that conscious decision you made last week to become an automatic one - {Oh, she was cute} - because of a distraction, your mind does automatic and wham.

That's all too easy and that's why I avoid riding like that even when it's obviously safe so that when I'm possibly not on my A game, the light is bad, I'm on the return haul of a long ride and a bit tired or whatever - I'm not unconsciously doing things which increase the risks.

I'm not saying don't do it, all I'm saying is that most of being able to ride a bike is muscle memory and unconscious anyway and there is a long term increase in risk there and it may eventually catch up with you.
  20. ADV890R

ADV890R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a long-time sportbike guy (not an "ADV guy"...yet), I use ALL the road in my lane if I have the sightlines to do it safely and there isn't sand on or near the white lines. I'll put my wheels right there, and on a corner like that most of the bike and my body IS left over the double-yellow line. If there's traffic coming, I'm definitely not hanging over into their lane. What I DON'T do, and totally consider cheating, is use BOTH lanes, for any reason. As far as I'm concerned the aforementioned squids are cheating, and actually DON'T know how to ride if they can't keep it in their lane. fucking amateures. I hate those assholes, makes us legit sportbikers look bad, because geared up, Joe Public can't tell the difference.

So, I can't see anything wrong with it, and take him at his word that it was safe.