cutting corners...running a straight line...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by crowtalks, Nov 24, 2020.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I shave pretty close to the centerline at times if I feel like it. However I refrain from making a habit of it because like any habit it can get ingrained and then bite you later on.

The problem with a photo is that the riders sightline is unknown unless it's shot from the riders viewpoint. The viewer can then either assume the rider knows what they are doing, or assume they don't. Most people tend to jump to a negative conclusion, especially on the interwebs. *Shrug* People these days tend to prefer drama, just look at the news. (actually, don't. It's mostly like watching daytime talk shows anymore, LOL)
    Traxx, AZbiker and AwDang like this.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuck those assholes, or as they say around here FYYFF. The same jerks that get their panties in a wad over straightening out a curve (with full visibility) will speed excessively and cross the double yellow to pass. They play by their own rules. It's a click, a group of guys who consider themselves to be in the cool club.
    Traxx, AZbiker, Rockred and 1 other person like this.
  3. crowtalks

crowtalks escaping life, one ride at a time Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOL...you what your problem is? You are too shy...too afraid to say what you think...don't be such an introvert... :-)
    Traxx and HuntWhenever like this.
  4. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Left handers on the street are tricky. Like a few guys have already mentioned, when I'm on the mountain and the pace is fast my tires are right there so yeah, knee on or over the yellow and half of the bike too. Always a little bit tentative though compared to right turns. Too many times a car or truck is coming and way too close to the center line which leads to instant body english and adjustments. Just more of the many hazards that are always present on the street. Everyone's risk assessment is different. I use the entire lane but I don't cross it and definitely don't put my tires on the paint, shit's as bad as the tar that they use to fill cracks with.
    Traxx, ADV890R and crowtalks like this.
  5. crowtalks

Oddometer:
    "...and definitely don't put my tires on the paint,"

I agree 100%...the painted stripes can be as slick as calf slobber in the right circumstances...
    LOUFY034, Traxx and AwDang like this.
  6. ADV890R

ADV890R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kevin Schwantz is the lead rider in your sig pic, correct? He was my fave rider. Saw his first real professional race out at Willow Springs in '84 I think, it was the AMA race Sunday after the 24hr WERA West race if I recall.
    hypersports, AZbiker and crowtalks like this.
  7. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's me at Willow with my Schwantz replica in '93. He was my favorite too, I got his new lid about a year later. I loved having the red/white/dark gray at the time because I had a red/white/black 87 gsxr-750 before the 92 that's in the pic. Good times :thumb

Edit: First time I saw him was at Laguna in 88 I think with the Pepsi livery. Rainey was still with Roberts / Lucky Strike.
    AZbiker and crowtalks like this.
  8. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should have seen my rant before I edited to make it "R" rated. :lol3:lol3
    AZbiker and crowtalks like this.
  9. crowtalks

Oddometer:
    hahaha... :-)
  10. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't get it.. if you are going to have half of your bike and almost all your body over the other line, and you have visibility so it's safe to do it.. why refuse to put your tires on the other line while you're at it? Would still be safe.
    crowtalks likes this.
  11. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    What line I take is dependent upon, "It all depends".
    Weather, season, road conditions, traffic, time of day, sight lines, how I feel...you know, Mad Skilz. :photog

I'd tell a beginner, practice makes perfect. Always keep all your parts in your lane. Having to adjust your line when an unanticipated obstacle (car) pops up can be discombobulating.
    Traxx, crowtalks and AdvNener like this.
  12. Gapscratch

Gapscratch I love curves!

Oddometer:
    Me on SV650 - Copy.jpg Here's my input on the OP. Same exact corner, carrying a bit more speed, almost to the apex which is about another 30 feet or so. No part of me or the bike crosses the yellow, because I know that plenty of riders/drivers run wide coming the other way avoiding the mud puddle that is usually on the inside going north bound. Hence it's nickname, Mud Corner. Killboy used to set up right at the apex for good sightlines in both directions.

Yeah, that's my avatar pic. I miss that place...
  13. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    IMO, it's akin to the folly of riding from a place that has few curves to a place that has many, say FL to the Dragon, then straightening out the curves. Why not just stay home and ride in curves across the center line on your own straight roads?
    crowtalks, Tarmac Kid and AdvNener like this.
  14. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    None of you will change the way I ride in threads like this, regardless of how I ride. It is an "automatic" that a bunch will think I'm wrong, either "too safe" or "too risky". So why, you may ask, do I even read or bother? Entertainment and just to shoot the breeze. :johntm
    Traxx, AZbiker and crowtalks like this.
  15. crowtalks

Oddometer:
    great shot...I like your drag pads...
    Traxx likes this.
  16. crowtalks

Oddometer:
    maybe they are tired of riding the curves in their own backyard and want to experience other roads...
    Traxx likes this.
  17. crowtalks

Oddometer:
    what does change the way I ride is age...I looked at that photo again, and I replaced the aftermarket fairing it had on it six years ago with my R90 fairing...so seven years down the age road from when that shot was taken, I make sure to keep it in my lane (usually)...also, now at 64 I only get it above 100mph once or twice a year, generally...
    Traxx and markk53 like this.
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I dont think its wise to assume it would "still be safe" is a valid blanket statement. Depends on sightlines and how much traction the particular painted line offers. It certainly may be safe.

But beyond that I'd say it's mostly just personal preference. I enjoy the challenge of keeping my tires in my own lane at a sporty pace more than trying to go .5mph faster. Again, personal preference.
  19. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I actually find the challenge of staying in my lane kind of fun now. How can I work within my own space. I can't remember the last time I was in triple digits - actually knowing it, might have been there for a second or two sometime.

Now on the street bike it's less about the imitation of racers than it is about riding a nice pace that is exciting, while getting us back for work Monday. On the dual sport side, not quite as calm, with some sliding around and hard running, but still remembering - work Monday.
    Traxx, CaptCapsize and e.t. like this.
  20. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, race track mode on the street has issues.
    It is why I encourage everyone to find some closed track time (no matter what kind of street riding you do)
    The reality is that you need a pretty good buffer on the street.
    Gravel
    Oil
    Rider coming over the center
    Objects in the road
    And all of this even worse with blind corners.
    For me personally On The Street, that means I am never near my max corner speed. I am giving some leeway at the center line unless I am absolutely sure I will not come up on opposite traffic. I am apexing later to get better vision around the corner and if the corner is blind I am even more conservative with speed.

I know all of that sounds pretty boring. funny though, now that I am spending more time on the track, I am not missing it.

It is a safe place to follow good race lines. You get to practice early apexing while passing (well sometimes :p ), and you can time it to see if the line actually is faster.
    if you are riding a dedicated track bike (that you don’t mind a few battle scars on) you get to actually find where the limits of traction are. Funny when you watch racing long enough, you see that “perfect form” is not always the most important thing in actually going fast. (For example Collin Edwards or Alex Rins). In the last few years doing TMGP I have seen people that are way faster than me that do not have conventional riding form. Funny how competition helps you become a better more controlled rider a lot more than pictures. Not that pictures can’t help, but only testing and seeing what body position helps you get your weight in the right place to get around the corner faster, really teaches you how to feel when it is right.
    This also lets you make some mistakes. Funny how many of my crashes happened just because I became tense. Has taught me to keep loose arms when the bike starts to lose front traction and let it find its line again. Has taught me also not to drop throttle when the back starts to step out. These are all hard things to teach on a street bike that you don’t want to drop in street conditions. Which means that they are typically taught as you hit lower traction due to oil, gravel, or wet and can occur In a place where you slide into something much the grass run off at the track.

So, even though, my street riding is no where near my limits, it is sometimes actually faster than what I previously perceived as limits, but most often is just more relaxed. Since I don’t get an adrenaline rush from riding with an appropriate level of safety factor, i focus more on enjoying the sensation of riding and the scenery. And when I do find that reducing radius corner, covered in gravel, with something unexpected in the road around a blind corner, I crap myself, just a little less.
    Traxx, L84dinr, DesertPilot and 2 others like this.