Cycle South ♾ (Denver )

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Mcahron

Mcahron Love is "THE" Answer.

Oddometer:
    Did not work, all i git was an add
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    From a year ago today:

“I think that Ushuaia tastes salty.

I’m getting so close to Ushuaia I can taste it! And we’re here on the ocean at Rio Grande Argentina after crossing yet another in the long list of Chile/Argentina border crossings a ride to Ushuaia entails.
    We are staying at the excellent Fin del Mundo (end of the world) motorcycle Hostal right on the ocean! Nice rooms, hot showers and pizza and Quilmes cerveza!
    Today at the Argentina side of the border crossing we were briefly reunited with Sergio Camacho and Kurt as they were headed North after reaching Ushuaia last week. It was great to see them again albeit briefly.
    It was like an ADV parking lot at the border. BMW GS’s everywhere. KTMs all around. More than a dozen assorted KLRs.
    But Sunny was the only DR650 in the lot and a LOT of riders oogled at her and asked what she was. I was proud!
    Even more proud on the bad gravel section into Argentina (saw one rider down in a group) when Olaf and I blew past large numbers of big bikes floundering in the deep gravel. It helped at the Aduana que at the Argentina side.
    Tomorrow is the day.

The one I’ve dreamed of. Arriving in Ushuaia.
    I think we will stay maybe 5-7 days and chill.
    Sam and Mystery should arrive here at this Hostal tonight

Olaf and I are still with Ian, who is only staying in Ushuaia two nights.

Then it’s north and east! Into Brazil! Paraguay! Uruguay! Bolivia! All unexplored by Sunny and myself. Lots of fun left but it’ll feel incredible to reach Tiera del Fuego after so much effort and plenty of obstacles.”
  3. Ian.H

Ian.H Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^^

Can't believe a year has passed already.
    OH_Wahoo likes this.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I know right?
    My already-emotional state produced by my condition was no match for the memories flooding back from a year-ago today.

SohoPhil, advrockrider, MrMac and 9 others like this.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
  6. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love the photos of Mystery and the cat. I have fond memories of a negro gato at an estancia in Argentina.

BTW having been a bicyclist you might find this interesting. Magadan to Yakutsk in winter. Find a language you want under cc.
    Tsotsie and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  7. OH_Wahoo

OH_Wahoo It's always time to

Oddometer:
    The dude on the Honda with the little trailer is a bad ass.....or just plain nuts. :lol3
    liv2day and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:

Or a little of both
    413EA2A6-38D7-42A8-8F14-06493CBE7653.jpeg
    liv2day, SohoPhil, glittleman and 9 others like this.
  9. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I’m enjoying the revisit to lush green and happy times. Current windchill here is -36c.
  10. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    "The dude on the Honda with the little trailer ..."

Interesting! A 50 or 90cc ? Where from? He was certainly carrying a lot even compared to Daniel!
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    It was a 90. He started in Colombia!
    Tsotsie and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  12. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Since you have time to reflect, Dan, if you were to do it again starting from scratch, what size bike and what "gear" might you bring versus what you brought this trip?
    evmigration and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Jeez. Finally someone asks me what I thought would be asked a million times.
    Maybe it was never asked because most that followed along for the entire journey are pretty sure of the answers already.
    Bike:
    I’d change little. Really. She was a fantastic partner. Most “changes” are really changes I’d make in myself as to how I maintained it.
    Hmmm. Lemme think.
    Maybe less aggressive spikes on the Pro Moto Billet Adventure foot pegs. They tore up the soles on my boots pretty badly. Maybe take a Dremel to the Allen screw heads that are used for grip and round and smooth them out a bit.

Maybe go with a large duffle on the top rather than the heavy topcase. While having that lockable security was great, it was heavy.

I’d like a better tool storage setup to free up pannier space. I have a new toolbox on its way to me now for Sunny’s rebuild, so you’ll get a chance to see what I mean shortly with pictures.

The “Dirt Racks” brand lower crash cage had many issues. Poor build quality and welds combined with poor mount design. It now has been beefed up and repaired multiple times. Anyone with a DR considering this crash cage should PM me for details on how to reinforce it and how to change the mounting bracket.

The “Touratech” brand highway pegs gave me a lot of grief. The pivot mechanism is prone to sticking due to dirt ingress. While it’s a known issue, I got them on EBay for a small fraction of their original cost and they looked well made so I went with them. They need constant cleaning and lubing to prevent sticking.

The aluminum cross-brace underneath my 30L Safari gas tank (keep the two large flanks hanging down from flexing outward or inwards) broke in half. I had a new SS brace made. Again, it’s a known issue, and newer Safari tanks have steel braces. If yours is aluminum, replace before leaving.

The Oxford ADV heated grips worked great, but came loose from my EVO aluminum bars repeatedly. It wasn’t until I mounted them using fucking JB Weld epoxy that they held tight.

The VIN number for the DR650 is stamped on the side of the frame’s headtube. There are times at border crossings where they need to physically see the number to compare to your paperwork. Doing so was difficult at times because of the Yenkro fairing surrounding that area. To take the fairing off is two quick Dzus fasteners. To get to them though I needed to remove my windscreen. To do THAT I needed to remove four Allen screws. Next time those four screws will be also Dzus (I would cheat and hold my iPhone up under the fairing and take a picture of the VIN. Often they would accept that).

My starter motor needed rebuilt. I should have brought parts for that.

That’s about it on the bike. And those are minor things that aren’t a direct criticism of the machine itself. Motor had plenty of power for the job. Was comfy at highway speeds. Went anywhere off-road I was capable of pointing her. Was good on gas and held enough fuel to go over 400 miles on a tank. Kept running at extreme altitude. Plenty of gear storage. Unique look. What more could one ask?

Gear:
    I would have shipped an entire replacement shield and pivot mechanism for my Scorpio AT950 helmet somewhere halfway. There were no parts anywhere for Scorpios.

I should have brought more spare parts for my Chinese-made Primus copy all-fuel stove. As popular as camping is in Patagonia, I couldn’t find pump o-rings and ended up buying a canister stove for the second half. And quickly realized why I liked a stove that burns gasoline. Having to find and buy gas canisters sucks.

I’d bring a silk sleeping bag liner next time. My 15 degree synthetic Big Agnes bag needed help in cool evenings. I would end up wearing a jacket and/or socks etc to sleep to help stay warm.

I’d consider a small pack fishing rod. I love to fish and there were ample opportunities.

My Klim Badlands Pro jacket was (is) a great do-all coat. While a bit warm in hot weather even with all vents open, and while a bit cool in very cold weather without an added liner, it’s a great ONE coat to have. Heavy and durable.

My BMW City pants (may they Rest In Peace) fit like a glove with just enough room for your junk to feel free. Again, a bit warm at times and need a liner at times to stay warm. Great do-it-all pants. Most comfy ass area of any pants I’ve owned.

My Klim Dakar summer gloves held up well and were comfy. Two fingers required repair for finger tip holes but held up well after repairs I made. With heated grips and hand guards, they were good down to 40 degrees as long as it wasn’t raining.

My Klim winter gloves rocked when it was colder. Thinsulate everywhere but the palm (so they work great with heated grips) and goretex. They even have a small face shield wiper on them. Great gloves. Only wore them a few dozen days. They look like new.

Alpinestar Scout Goretex boots. All leather uppers. Can be walked in for hours comfortably. Never leaked. Replaceable soles. No complaints. Soles need replaced and will be replaced before I ride again.

I used polypropylene underwear. No problems.

All socks were from Smartwool. Soft. Comfy. No itch. Warm when wet. Can be worn more than a few days before funk. No complaints.

Gerbings heated jacket liner. It was already a decade old before I left. No worries. No problems. Worked great.

that’s about it for now. Gotta get the ice off my knee now and rest (had an awesome massage today from Woody’s masseur)
    liv2day, EmmEff, td63 and 15 others like this.
  14. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll ask one: Regarding the 30L/400 mile fuel tank: Was it an overkill or were you glad to have it? Could you have gotten by with something smaller? (and yes, I understand you don't HAVE to run it full!)
  15. codebot

codebot Neophyte RTA (Round The Americas).

Oddometer:
    Thank you both for that!
    liv2day likes this.
  16. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    What about the electronics/gizmos you brought along? Did you put anything in the hard case trunk that may not have survived a soft bag? Like the laptop?
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    First, the tank now hold a good bit more as it has stretched. Originally 30L (7.8 gallons), it now holds 35L (9.3 gallons).
    As far as needing it, I needed it about three times for myself. Once in Ecuador riding with Caro Boutique (bike was bucking on fumes at high altitude when I filled up) and the rest down in Chile and Argentina on Ruta 40 and the Carretera Austral. Also, I served as a fuel station several times for friends, and saved several riders stranded that I didn’t know (there is value in helping others).
    Every time I filled up I went full. My suspension was set up with a full tank. It rides smoother with the weight. There were times of course where I knew I’d be in bad off road conditions where I left it low and stretched my range, putting up with a stiffer spring rate.

For sure. My tablet/laptop (a HP Spectre) ended up shattered, but that was my fault. I dropped it in my room at a Mexico Airbnb location. Many of the off-road spills and crashes that the Mule Pack panniers shrugged off would have for sure compressed hard soft luggage. The Mule Packs are kind of an in-between.
    My GPS (Garmin Zumo 595LM) was flawless after an early problem while in the Western US (battery lead broke). Garmin sent a new battery. I put a dab of glue on the problem spot before installing it. No issues since.
    The Trailtech Vapor dash gauge developed a leak in ultra-humid Brazil. The fogged screen would clear up in sunlight. I may replace it soon. Also need to replace faulty LED turn signals.
    My rechargeable LED headlamp failed. I tossed it in Chile and bought a new one.
    My iPhone 7 has held up great. Otter box saved it many times. The camera on the phone is wonky at times. It’s a known iPhone 7 issue (from excessive vibration from days spent mounted to my handlebars all day).
    My Nikon B500 camera failed (after being dropped 10 feet into rocks while hiking to Machu Pichu). It’s B600 replacement has been flawless. I miss the B500’s pivoting rear screen. It allowed me to take close ups of people with the camera in my lap. All incognito.
    My Solove 20,000 mAh USB power bank was freaking awesome until the micro usb charging port broke off in Brazil. I found a nice replacement there, albeit much more expensive than what I paid at home. It lasted long and was abused, so not a knock on Solove.
    The special relay for my LED turn signals failed in Colombia after being power washed. Never worked again. And I couldn’t find a relay to work. So, either I should have waterproofed it better, or not allowed that caballero to power wash the bike to begin with.
    That’s about it. Thanks for asking guys
    liv2day, elron, advrockrider and 9 others like this.
  18. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you can answer this without pissing off people, but :lol3 who was the most fun/compatible to ride with?
    td63 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  19. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And why?
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  20. danisOTR

danisOTR Living Life on the Road Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great critique on equipment and gear.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.