Cycle South ♾ (Denver )

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan (@RedHawk47 ) for coming over and helping me get started on the front brake work. It really helped. Got the caliper wrapped up today and have the master cleaned and waiting for the circlip pliers to do the rebuild on that.

Inmate @RedHawk47
    [​IMG]

New 320mm rotor, fresh sintered pads, all new seals and sliding pin. All greased and ready for fluid

[​IMG]

New starter and Warp9’s warrantied endcap. Awesome of them to replace the old one after so many miles

[​IMG]

Thanks @RedHawk47 for the simple idea for my Vapor’s speed sensor. It was mounted to a tapped hole on the old caliper bracket, but the new Warp9 bracket for the larger rotor has it too far from the magnet. This works great and only needed two slots melted in the plastic. Is very secure (have since replaced the zip ties with new ones where the end isn’t sticking out)

[​IMG]

now onto wrapping up the brakes, starter motor in, header pipe cleaned while off for starter replacement (caked on red shit from the Atacama that won’t come off easily)
    New CCT gasket. Will check and adjust valves while at TDC.
    Then to figure out the turn signal problem. Since it was pressure washed in Colombia (big mistake) they haven’t blinked. They light up fully but no blink. I had to thumb the lever back and forth. So I figured it was the 2 pin LED flasher relay from Procycle that fried. I found a similar one in Chile but still no flash. I have a new one and installed it yesterday. Still no flash. So I figured that water probably got into one of the Procycle LED signals and corrosion or whatever is causing the flash issue. So I have new signals to install and see if that cures it. Now I have to round up soldering stuff.
    [​IMG]
  2. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Awesome! It was just a matter of time before an inmate stepped in to help big kudos to @RedHawk47

looks like Sunny and its owner are getting plenty of new parts to keep both on the road.
    drhippie2, ScotsFire, r0ckrat and 6 others like this.
  3. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    I don't know about that RedHawk fella, looks like the sort that would ride a Chinese moto.
    Indeed it was nice of Warp9 to warrantee the cap. Granted you put a lot of miles on it, but I suspect you started far fewer times on average than most DS riders in the space of a month.
    pyoungbl and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  4. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put 11,000 miles on my CSC RX3 including three Baja trips and the Destinations trip with Joe, but I pretty much quit riding it when I got my Moto Guzzi V7II. I now have 38,000 miles in 4-1/2 years on the V7, and it is much easier to work on.
    Dan
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Dan for coming over again today for more help.
    Today the work done:
    • Remove lower crash cage
    • Removed exhaust header pipe
    • Pull Cam chain tensioner
    • Disconnect return line from oil cooler to cylinder head
    • Disconnect and remove old starter motor
    • Clean area
    • Grease splines and o-ring and install the new starter motor
    • Using a scotchbrite pad, remove caked on coating from exhaust header pipe
    • While motor is at TDC, remove valve inspection covers and inspect valves (one exhaust valve was a little tight.
      Adjust accordingly) replace inspection covers
    • Reinstall header pipe on exhaust using new crush gasket at head
    • Replace oil line
    • Ignition on. Clutch in. Hit starter button-success!
    • Then cut off all old LED turn signals.
    • Mounted new signals
    • Stripped wires and twisted new signals wire together for temp
    • Installed new LED flasher relay
    • Ignition in and check….YAY!!! My turn signals blink again! First time since Colombia when they failed after a power wash. Yay!!! Hmmm what else.
    • Oh yeah. Removed all the old fuel line from the Safari tank and crossover. The line wasn’t leaking but definitely has seen better days. Ordered new fuel like and a new filter today.
    Removed the old filter and broke it open. See picture showing dirt that was trapped. It did a great job.
    That was it for today. I’ll wrap up the turn signal wiring after Woody provides me with soldering supplies.
    Felt great to be doing something again

Sunny with her starter removed
    AC4F8D50-B3E0-4F44-AC15-85A2C2A7FBBE.jpeg The inside of the fuel filter. This was installed in Lima Peru about 20,000k ago

F5EBC9D8-543D-4FB6-A17A-FC304ECF2F5A.jpeg
    liv2day, roadcapDen, r0ckrat and 9 others like this.
  6. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    Wow you got a lot done. That fuel filter did a good job, I thought it would be even dirtier considering where you’ve been. I am jealous of the Hawkmeister helping you out again.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  7. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Looks like that tank filler sock thing worked great. What's it called again?
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  8. glittleman

glittleman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a Guglatech tank filter, if I'm not mistaken.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yes, you’re correct.
    And to be honest, as the fill-rate is significantly slowed when using the Guglatech filter, I only used it when the source was questionable.
    Gas from barrels served up in 2L Coke bottles
    Gas from small stations in the middle of nowhere with little business
    The Visu-Filter filters are known for how well they work, as well as having a high flow rate and large surface area of filtration.
    glittleman likes this.
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The turn signals are done. All wiring soldered and well wrapped. All wiring tucked away and zip tied securely.
    Next week I should have the new fuel line and fuel filter here to redo the fuel delivery from the tank’s two petcocks.
    Also tomorrow the 90 degree internal circlip pliers needed to rebuild the front master cylinder should deliver. Hopefully next week the new front brake line will arrive so I can wrap up the front brakes after a fill and bleed.
    Hopefully the carb won’t need cleaned after having sat for the last four months. If needed I already have a carb rebuild kit standing by.
    Tomorrow I’ll be in the office at WWW to help answer phones. That’ll be cool.
  11. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like great progress on Sunny, yay!
    Have fun, but not too much, answering phones at WWW. If I were in the market for a set of wheels I would take the opportunity to order them by phone tomorrow. Maybe I’ll just call and pretend I want to order a set. :D
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Today the circlip pier set from EBay arrived. The 90degree internal one was still too short to reach. The straight internal pliers worked only if I depressed and held the piston in to make room. Difficult but done.
    Spent more time with scotchbrite cleaning up the heavily stained SS exhaust header pipe and the titanium exhaust can. Look much better now. Also went around cleaning a little more the books and crannies. Next when the fuel lines arrive I can get her buttoned up and fire her up. Hopefully no carb issues from sitting.
    I also, for the hell of it, took out the new Procycle LED flasher relay and installed one I got in Argentina that didn’t solve the problem (the not-blinking issue was the result of water getting into one of the “waterproof “ LED signals I had and corroding the little driver chip mounted by the LED. That teeny extra resistance cause the relay to not work. Unlike a flasher relay for incandescence bulbs which relies on a bi-metal strip heating up and breaking contact over and over, a LED relay acts digitally) The relay from Argentina had a small screw you could turn to adjust flash rate.
    So, I installed it and voila’! It works. And….I adjusted the flash rate just a little faster than normal to a point where I know it’ll get the attention of traffic. So now I have a spare relay.
  13. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    You had a a far more productive day than I did Dan. Good on ya
    Mark Thom and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    here you can see the funky Rizoma knock off signals. The LED unit itself is sealed and the body has o-ring seals as well. Bright!

F6D71827-7A05-4A31-AE43-55119888AA70.jpeg

View attachment 2992131

a face only a Mother could love

7842137B-678E-4824-B329-BA5BFA565214.jpeg

Clean!

431C4289-7468-44A0-B2A7-3C8929F21239.jpeg
    New 320mm Warp 9 rotor. Rebuilt caliper and master cylinder. Awaiting Spiegler brake line

074A6506-18F1-49DB-AFC8-9A6843F068C7.jpeg 66924EFC-E151-4DDB-93E4-33C15950C30C.jpeg

rust removed from brake pedal and master cylinder guard. Fresh paint
    9E0CDE48-CDB8-4CD1-92C7-EB24BD5A2DEA.jpeg D33473D7-42C7-43F1-AAC8-17BA5B12E731.jpeg EA800E9A-E492-4476-B49D-E72B42E530F0.jpeg I did a little more cleaning today. I used a brass brush and coarse scotchbrite to remove the rust in the shift lever, brake lever, oil cooler guard and rear master cylinder guard. Then just touched up with gloss black enamel. Looks so much better. Also deep cleaned the cylinder fins. There was stuff caked in a few that I should have bottled to remember where it came from.
  15. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dan - you have been busy. Looking good.

Dan N
    Jay_In_Milpitas and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  16. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    That is a lot of work Dan. Sunny sparkles once more. Love them LED lights. I feel like a lazy bum after reading this.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  17. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice to see your progress and I’m sure it makes you feel good to be making progress.
    TomJoad and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The main headlight (from a KTM 690 SM) was made for use with a H4 halogen. It too has been fitted with a 35W Phillips H4 LED.
    Way more light than stock and less draw on the electrical system. That LED light bar is 60W with 6x 10W chips. The outer four are flood pattern and the middle two spot pattern. Together they’re drawing 95W, more than the stock halogen. I rarely ever needed both (long tunnels in Peru come to mind)

I replaced the frame plugs with 3D printed ones I found online. Yellow of course.

5C763560-B67B-4106-A517-99879E4F9C37.jpeg 96B5672E-9A80-453F-B06C-16427284236E.jpeg E58033D3-FE03-4EDA-AA39-9045AA4832AF.jpeg
  19. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    Beautiful and efficient. Gonna look up those Philips H4 LEDs. I have H4 LEDs but they are no name offshore.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The key is that the LED chips need to be very small in size, high output, and arranged in a line to recreate the light of a filament. There are copies of Phillips out there getting good reviews. With a line of teeny chips for the low beam and the inverted cup over it, it emulates the cut-off line of the H4 low beam design. Newer headlights with H7 bulbs have the low beam cutoff performed by the shape of the reflector itself.
    Anyways, the one in there has lasted 3+ years and is going strong (fan built in to back of LED insert). I’m carrying a spare but haven’t needed it.
    liv2day, glittleman and Sunday Rider like this.