Cycle South ♾

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have preferred Mexico. I had excellent medical care there and at a fraction of stateside cost. The stimated total cost for the upcoming surgery was mind blowing. But whatcha gonna do
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The adv community is awesome
  3. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Will your insurance cover the cost of surgery?
  4. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear ya as I'm battling a 90k bill right now, but with no income and not much for touchable assets its looking like it maybe only 10-20% of that when it boils down. Ill let you know if I find any tricks along the way that may help out!!
    SupRBeeADV and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Without getting into numbers, not really. The med coverage I have is nominal for me. I’ll be paying this off for a while
  6. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    That sucks big time. Here I thought being stateside you'd be covered under your m/c or medical insurance. Sorry to hear this.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  7. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The advance from your book deal should help.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I do have some med coverage with my MC insurance. Not much but I’ll take it.
    It’ll work out somehow. Worryingly about something I can’t control isn’t good for me now. I’ve got enough to worry about. This isn’t how my return was supposed to play out. Not after all the crazy shit I’ve ridden and all the thousands of strange animals I’ve ridden past.
    I best not try writing more. Not with all the pills. Organizing thought isn’t easy and emotions are rampant. Maybe best I shit TFU for now. I’ve tried hard for all this time to keep this blog up to date, if not real time. I’ve wanted to give back to the community of riders and readers that had me glued to adv for years. And sitting here with nothing better to do that wince in pain as I shift my ass side to side on the bed trying to relive or change the pressures on my knee, typing this nonsense does help take my mind off shot
    glittleman, BillUA, qman8 and 17 others like this.
  9. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    Buena suerte amigo. I broke my left tibia & fibia St Patty's Day 2019 when low siding my Ducati. I now have a titanium rod from my knee to ankle. Old men do heal properly.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  10. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Dan, you have the opening line for your book
    "It wasn't supposed to end like this...."

I'm not kidding, write the f-ing book. I'll proof read.
    You have a compelling story - who else will can start a book with being t-boned by charging javelina?
    And you have most of everything already recorded here.
    Abazos!
  11. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    These are my thoughts exactly. I can't imagine how upset our extended family in Brazil is feeling now.
    Turkeycreek is onto something. But we know you can't think straight right now.
    pceire32 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! I can help edit. My entire career was in advertising, design and copy writing.
  13. atadold

atadold n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of your current troubles , you have given me many hours of entertaining reading . You are right on the Mexican border would it be possible to go there for surgery ?
    pceire32 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  14. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Opening scene from rider's perspective world is on it's side, bike on his leg. Camera pans to uniformed person approaching who draws a pistol, aims, then we see the javelina euthanized. Text comes on screen to say "Ohio. Two and a half years earlier,". Que up The Byrds "I Wasn't Born To Follow."
    Mark Thom, Trip Hammer, qman8 and 8 others like this.
  15. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Tacos de javelina - not good
    ChicoProf likes this.
  16. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek2No way should your ride conclude this way, Dan ! . What a sickening surprise when catching up on the rr and reading this .
    Get fixed up quickly and start the mending .Best wishes an'all , Suerte .

Not that it makes any difference to your agony , but was it wild pigs that got you or was it javelinas ? They ain't the same animal . You saw the smaller beasts run across the road , obviously javelinas , but got nailed by two large animals . What did the game warden maybe say ?

There are several million wild formerly domesticated pigs escaped from farming and recently some from pet-piglets that were dumped when they got too big and un-cute , which are breeding like mad in the wilderness and have gone back to the body form of their undomesticated wild boar ancestors from Eurasia . These are now roaming Texas and posing hazards to traffic and pedestrians and destroying farmland and natural habitat alike .
    Apparently, there is a program in place to try to control or eradicate these feral pigs sometimes enlisting hunters to seek them out by air. Last February near Charlotte TX I saw this chopper flying about over the brush and wathched it for a while and took this photo .You can see guys in camo with big guns in the open doors . I don't think they were on border patrol duty . DSCN6075.JPG
    If you can't get even , at least get bacon .
    roadcapDen and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The Fish and Game officer said they were all Javelinas. The two that charged at me probably the parents based on size. Maybe the decel popping as I slowed and started to pass their young startled them. They definitely charged at me.
    pceire32 and SupRBeeADV like this.
  18. Luna Negra

Luna Negra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They're called Pork Choppers around here. Hogs are getting bad all over Texas. Scary to ride at night on isolated roads. They're worse than deer.
  19. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    I’ve always understood that Javelinas are mean and ornery and not to be messed with. I’m betting they did charge you with no regard to what would happen to them upon impact. Glad they are the only ones that died.
  20. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn Dan.....I take off for couple days and.......heal up brother!!
    SupRBeeADV and Ohio_Danimal like this.