Cycle South ♾

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    It did seem like a crazy coincidence. And thanks for taking the time to follow along all this while. I truly appreciate the support man.
    strongleftleg and Mark Thom like this.
  2. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    From November 20th, the day of your surgery, you were given 12 weeks to anticipate the bone healing process to be completed. Any further comment on that?

Then there is the nerve and tendon/muscle healing that appears a long way forward still? Do both still affect your mobility? Then there is the pain?

I was fortunate when my ulna was broken, 6" plate and 12 screws from the wrist down, I did not have to walk on it. Nerve and tendon damage in my hand yes, still today 6 years later. My hand is back to 80% useful, so no complaints. Fortunate for me, no pain after the surgery at all and despite pain meds given, never used any.

No 2 accidents or the results the same. Heal well.
    Ohio_Danimal and ScotsFire like this.
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Slowly making my way through the pages filled with your incredible story, but needed to quote this @Ohio_Danimal. Damn man, I know this post is still kinda early on in your adventure (which is weird typing given what you experienced during parte uno), but what a profound thing to say.

Plan to remember page 68 of your report so I can go back. I cannot undertake a journey like this quite yet as my boys still have years to go before getting through high school, but I'm with TomJoad - need to get off my couch.

Excellently written (all of it, but this hits hard).
  4. OH_Wahoo

OH_Wahoo It's always time to

Oddometer:
    "You’ll be in a rut so deep that you’ll try every day to convince yourself that that’s the way you like it.
    Eventually you’ll stop even wondering about things other than what you do every single day."

I have been retired for a little over a year now. These words have new meaning.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The bone may be healing properly, but I still am far from being able to straighten the leg enough to weight and work on walking.

Yeah. Not much seems to have changed in the matter of the way it feels. Large swaths are still numb. Pain is less for sure, but still have RLS badly without meds.

Thanks Brian

What a nice thing to say. You’re making me blush. I remember writing that. Reading it in fact takes me to that day. It’s wording is based loosely on the opening monologue from Don Marshal in “Cycles South”, the movie my trip was loosely based on. I hoped someone would catch the reference but no one to date has made the connection. Watch the movie. If you haven’t I highly recommend it!

Thanks Wahoo! See above reply to that exact quote. Hope you’re well and safe. Congratulations on your retirement.
    wilfred, pceire32, elron and 5 others like this.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Well, I just returned from my second appointment at the Hangar Clinic. Today I was fitted with a custom orthotic device called “the Noodle”. Made from a carbon/Kevlar blend, it’s function is to lift my toes during a forward stride in walking.
    Seems well made, but as it fits underneath the insole on your shoe, the ultralight hiker shoes I’ve had with me for the entire Cycle South journey, don’t have enough room. Mostly because my foot is still so swollen.
    So next step is a larger pair of shoes.
    Tomorrow I have an appointment for EMG tests (nerve damage assessment)
    Then Thursday another session at Push Gym for therapy.

the Noodle 40598B89-C86A-481E-9383-035D70227BC3.jpeg

CB05FC81-B476-4944-9251-81BB373D3EE9.jpeg
    pceire32, BillUA, BarryB and 14 others like this.
  7. r0ckrat

r0ckrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dad has something similar, but a lot more material... His MS has rendered control of his left foot nearly non-existent, so the brace he has lifts the toes and forefoot for him when walking. Does the noodle still allow the toes to come down when weight is applied?
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Both devices do the exact same thing. Because I do have control of the muscles that let me push off, the Noodle merely flexes as a spring when striding forward, and lifts the front of the foot while bringing it forward for the next heel strike. Show him the pic. Sounds like technology can help him too. It weighs nothing.
    I look forward to the day when I can straighten my leg out again without excruciating pain. Then I can start weighting it more and work on walking. At least I’ve got the Noodle ready and waiting.
    wilfred, r0ckrat, MrMac and 4 others like this.
  9. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    And so . . . the healing story continues. Sounds like you've got a positive attitude, looking up, no woe-is-me. :nod
    Best wishes for a full recovery. I won't say a speedy recovery. You know where you're at.
  10. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Making progress, Dan. Always good to hear. If you’ve never had an EMG before it’s not bad, but will make your limb jump around a lot, hopefully. The Noodle looks like a good aid once you can put weight on your leg again.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The EMG wasn’t fun. And the results weren’t good. So I’ve been kinda in a slump. I’ll try to focus on positive things. Even PT was tough. And now the therapist is concerned due to the EMG results as to what direction to take.
    For now I’m just working on trying to straighten the leg. It seems part of the bigger problem is how tight and shortened my hamstring is in that leg. So that’s the focus for now. And yeah.
    On a positive note, after looking long and hard online to purchase new pivot mechanisms for my helmet (have been a bit broken since Argentina) I found only Motorcycle Closeouts had them. Curious, I emailed Scorpion (the helmet is their EXO-AT950) and they simply asked for my address and said new side plates were in the mail!! What great customer service.
    Now, when I’m physically closer to riding, and hopefully making some money, I’ll order new shields, both the clear faceshield and the tinted flip-down sunshield. Both are usable, but scratched after three year’s use.
    So a big thank you to Scorpion USA.
    td63, HatesSnow, pceire32 and 11 others like this.
  12. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    I figured something was up with the radio silence. I know you will slowly work through it as your surgery heals up and you body gets stronger. Hang in there Dan.
    pceire32 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  13. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Okay, the PT says a new direction needs to be determined.
    He didn't say "Well, thanks for stopping by and best of luck. There's the door."
    I understand being down in the dumps. Moan for a bit, then get back in the game.

Hugs & stuff. In a manly, bro-type way.
    pceire32, r0ckrat and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Well honestly the EMG results, combined with the amount of time that’s passed since the surgery, may be pointing towards further surgery.
    pceire32 likes this.
  15. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Ok I went and watched it, what a classic! Surprised I've never heard of it, makes me laugh at half the threads in ADV, the world has just gotten way too complicated unnecessarily. Some great lines in it and the beach waterskiing I've gotta try it after I say hold my beer watch this:photog
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  16. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    I was afraid the silence was not because of good news. Would additional surgery be to make more repairs to structure, or an attempt to improve nerve connections? I have had some nerve surgery, but there were still connections, just needed things made less restricted. Not sure what they can do if the damage has severed connections. Hang in there, we are all pulling for you.
    pceire32 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Surgery would be for an attempt at fixing whatever is pinching the peroneal nerve, if close examination reveals it isn’t damaged.

So tonight I made a Gin and tonic in the kitchen. Made it in an empty Ragu jar, as I can screw the lid on for transport to my room (crutches etc). Well, with Netflix waiting and a fresh jar of gin and tonic, I sat down and rolled the last of some “Lemon Fizz” indica into a nice fatty. Placed the doobie on the edge of the bed. Crawled into bed into the corner where I have my “system” set up for comfortable tablet viewing and a quick transition to sleep.
    Almost in position, dragging the left leg into the bed, the joint rolled off the edge and right into the spaghetti jar filled with booze. Uggggggghhhh lol.
    Sit up. Fish it out. Feel stupid. Place it aside to dry and, flustered, roll another , this time with an untried “Banana M.A.C.”

See? Life ain’t all that bad.
    td63, Joris van O, HatesSnow and 11 others like this.
  18. Luna Negra

Luna Negra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ain't bad at all - keep rolling man -
    Sunday Rider and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  19. thadf

thadf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Classic demonstration of the Law of Selective Gravitation! Sorta like a dropped socket always rolls under the car to the exact center and the toast always lands butter side down. The Adventure continues, you're still engaged in scientific inquiry!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.