Cycle South ♾

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dan, Just another pothole/tope on this road of life. Hang in there with the PT / Pain, we are all pulling for you.
    Let us know how the "Lemon-Fizz / Gin & Tonic" combo tasted, once dry. :bubba

I'm about to have a hip replaced, so your (continuing) "Pain Tails" really resonate. Took my last ride :ricky (before surgery) yesterday...

Thx for the tip about the jar with a top, I've got a mason jar ready. Also the tip about keeping the top in place, until ready to sip...

Mike B
    Southern Commiefornia
    Mark Thom and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  2. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. Not good news. I like the way HandCanonShooter put it, "Just another pothole/tope on this road of life. Hang in there with the PT / Pain, we are all pulling for you."
    As for scratches on faceshields, inevitable on long trips, I've found cleaning with Pledge furniture polish rather remarkable at filling in the minor scratches, makes them disappear. Ever since I noticed a bush pilot in Alaska cleaning his aircraft windshield with same, and had a brief discussion with him, I've been a believer. I've tried the "professional" faceshield polishes/cleaners and found them lacking. Of course Pledge legal department says "Don't use our product this way! Might fog the plastic!" Never happened on my windshield or faceshield.
    Caveat. Pledge polish has become hard to find. Pledge cleaner is not the same.
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    My go-to cleaner and polish has always been Protect-All. Not the aerosol spray but the pump bottle. It contains carnuba wax as well. I left with a bottle. After it was gone I filled the bottle with random furniture polish found in Chile. Worked well.
    So I did whatever was humanly possible to extend their lives
  4. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    I was in a severe car crash in Guyana back in July 1998. My left arm was broke in about 200 pieces (humerus). My arm was useless for about a year. EMG results showed the ulnar nerve was encased in bone, not operational, and I would never really get my arm back. Lots of physio and just plain old time went by and my arm slowly returned to me. I can ride, play guitar, do most things I want to with that arm now. The human body really is amazing at fixing itself up. Just be patient, and keep on keepin' on.
    td63, BillUA, M. Bibendum and 13 others like this.
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    A number of years ago riding, a few of us were at Cline River, Alberta in the Rockies on the David Thompson Hwy, #11.

A helicopter landed in the ditch and the pilot crossed the highway to get a room for the night. The next morning he was tinkering around the front of the chopper and we wandered over to yap. He was spraying the front bubble with Pledge Furniture Polish and using a cloth towel swearing by the effectiveness.

I’ve carried furniture polish ever since travelling on motorcycles.
  6. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We send to use Lemon Pledge on our goggles, both sides of the lenses, back in the 70’s, when I was racing MX.
  7. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    So . . . sounds like any furniture polish will do. I will remember that. :nod Ha! I like the one that used Lemon Pledge on MX goggles way back when! See my icon.
    Ohio_Danimal and RedDogAlberta like this.
  8. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    On face-shields, windshields, front lights and bodywork, etc, bugs and road grit just comes right off. Rain beads and disappears.
    poppawheelie and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  9. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the same Scott goggle/ face mask setup as you, until I switched to a JOFA, because the Europeans all used them. Still have it. Scott lower, too, I think.
    poppawheelie and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  10. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plexus was recommended on one of the forum threads that I follow. It was designed for use on aircraft plexiglass canopies. It cleans and polishes, and fills the microcracks so the view is even cleaner. And once you do it the next time you clean it is quicker. I use it on my face shield, windshield and all of the light lenses - head, driving, turn and tail.
    I am very pleased with it, and feel comforted that it is designed for plastics.
    http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html

Dan
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Problem is, Plexus really isn’t available on the road out of the US. Great stuff of course
    pceire32, poppawheelie and Klinc207 like this.
  12. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto.
    pceire32 likes this.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    It’s an adventure just finding any type of furniture polish in some places down, way down South.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turtle wax Ice been using it for years available in most auto parts stores
  15. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dan, did you also play golf? Looks like someone else is facing leg issues and may also become a, "... did play golf."

Heal well!
    pceire32 likes this.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    No Brian, I never took up the game. I’ve putted and been to driving ranges with good golfers before who said I hit well. I just understood how it can consume you. Back then I was having a go at professional bass fishing and that kinda consumed all my free time.
    Word is that Tiger Woods left the place where he came from in a hurry, almost hitting a TV director. Hopefully he will walk normally again. I don’t feel sorry for mega rich people when they have problems like the rest of us.
    pceire32 likes this.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I’m at PT, using a stationary bike to help with gradual increase in leg extension. I haven’t peddled in a long time. Good thing they adjust for different leg lengths.
    After the bike, it was into massage and he used a variety of different shaped smooth tools to work the nooks and crannies in the knee.
    I have increased my leg extension by nearly 10 degrees from last week’s session.

9A495964-316F-479F-8615-C62300D2AFC1.jpeg FCD2B23D-D084-4648-B236-A586CD416ED1.jpeg
    td63, Joris van O, elron and 21 others like this.
  18. reggaerider

reggaerider n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan wishing you the best. Hope the good ole USA is mending you up. One curiousity is what kind of boot were you in when you so cruely kicked the swine? Probably already talked about this in a thread I missed. Recommend a boot now? I went skiing, it too has leg danger. I pretend I'm on a bike when I ski. Noises and all. Hope to meet again in the not too distant future.
    ChicoProf and pceire32 like this.
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Hey Roy! Good to hear from you mon.
    I was wearing Alpinestar Scout Goretex boots. They are discontinued now. All-leather upper. Hard ankle protection. Three side buckles. An all-day comfy boot even for walking. A bit hot in very hot weather. Stayed dry the whole trip.
    Looking at current boots, I’d probably try on a pair of Forma Adventure boots. They’re also known as a wide last, so my wide feet would be comfy.
    Stay safe
    reggaerider and pceire32 like this.
  20. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Do you find yourself reaching for clutch & brake levers?
    Ten degrees is a major advance. Well done.
    pceire32, Ohio_Danimal and r0ckrat like this.