Cycle South ♾

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I just finished my appointment with Dr. Alfonso. Now will be seeing Dr. Rachael Frank for arthroscopic surgery to try to remove whatever is obstructing the knee.
    If that doesn’t work, next step is complete knee replacement.
    Uggghh
    pceire32, Jay_In_Milpitas and MrMac like this.
  2. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, it's good that the Doc's have scoped out a plan of action. Knee replacement is a major surgery, for sure; but it can lead to better outcomes than you might get otherwise and get you back on the road with less time spent in rehab. Sending positive vibes . . .
    pceire32 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    This is good news; moving forward with a plan is progress. And maybe the arthoscopic surgery will help. Hang in there.
  4. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are in good hands with the goal to get you mobile again.
  5. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Six months nearly from the accident and not riding yet. Ouch!
    pceire32 likes this.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    here are some assorted pictures from Chile and Argentina from Kurt Carleson, the American from Georgia that was part of our group for a while. Thanks Kurt!

67B579B8-D303-4559-968D-3B774B33BC35.jpeg 98EA0319-2DA4-4527-BC45-BA7FF81FE5D3.jpeg 60ABB9E4-EC10-4A1E-A8AC-D8D96FEB31BD.jpeg A76D7A51-F856-4289-B653-E7050D14C3C0.jpeg 59843D5A-D71F-4AF8-B1FA-EE7B3EEC7BBF.jpeg 3EA866DC-5D76-4863-94B9-1E62FFF786C3.jpeg 3A1D910A-6327-403F-B0E4-AB3D98BAA77E.jpeg F20E19A0-306C-464F-A630-B8EFF065D791.jpeg 897E8183-B927-43AB-9F4C-A31E6D0D6B40.jpeg 927597A1-EDA0-461B-A115-3F4692736BA9.jpeg 90719D57-9EE0-4B52-843B-69F5507BB77B.jpeg 89B1427A-F319-4372-BAD4-36DAA1D19F84.jpeg 4C10AEDB-A94C-4AC5-8C1B-4C6FFD84638D.jpeg
  7. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Hey, at least you have a great shot of your left knee pre major injury. And that one of you looking sooo content, too.
    Thanks for posting these additional photos, they bring back fond memories of your trip for me and I hope for you, too.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I recently found more media files from early in the Cycle South journey. Some of those files were from my attendance at the Guelaguetza Celebration in Oaxaca City Mexico.
    From Wiki, here is info about Guelaguetza:
    The Guelaguetza [ɡelaˈɣetsa], or Los lunes del cerro (Mondays on the Hill), is an annual indigenous cultural event in Mexico that takes place in the city of Oaxaca, capital of the state of Oaxaca, and nearby villages. The celebration features traditional costumed dancing by gender-separated groups. It includes parades of indigenous walking bands, native food, and statewide artisanal crafts, such as pre-Hispanic style textiles. Each costume, or traje, and dance usually has a local indigenous historical and cultural meaning. While the celebration has attracted an increasing number of tourists, it is primarily one of deep cultural importance for the indigenous peoples of the state and is important for the survival of these cultures.
    Here is a video I made from that day. I hope you enjoy!
    pceire32, Scribe, ChicoProf and 11 others like this.
  9. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    That was excellent. I like all the different costumes and music, dances. It reminded me of the Olympic Games opening ceremonies when the host country has the different cultures of the various regions represented through music and dance.
    Is this celebration at a certain time of year, annually?
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yeah it’s usually done in August. The street parades and performances go on for a week. I’m not sure how many days the stadium celebration goes on. That stadium is only used once a year just for Guelaguetza. I’m pretty sure it was cancelled last year due to Covid. As was Carnival, one of my main reasons for entering Brazil.
    pceire32 and Sunday Rider like this.
  11. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Carnival, one of a very few celebrations creating videos suited for X web sites. Even if it is just dancing.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    You’re such a Puritan Jay lol
  13. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    ROTFLMSAO!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    So I’m being told that the work area Sunny is occupying is needed shortly as business is picking up fast at WWW.
    And working on the bike has proven difficult for me given my current condition.
    So….anyone in the Denver area want to help me with some work? All parts are here.
    List of things needed:
    • Replace starter motor (new motor and Warp9 end cap are here)
    • While motor is at TDC for the starter replacement, valve inspection and adjustment.
    • Rebuild front brake caliper (all parts here)
    • Rebuild front brake master cylinder (all parts on hand)
    • Replace front caliper bracket with Warp9 part to fit larger front rotor.
    • Pull rear shock (send to @NC Rick at Cogent for rebuild)
    • Disassemble and regrease all swingarm and suspension pivot bearings.
    • Pull front forks (sending to Cogent as well for rebuild) and inspect/regrease steering bearings.

that’s about it. Any takers?
  15. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    If I were a couple of hours closer to you I would be happy to turn wrenches with/for you Dan. This is a great opportunity for someone that is interested in learning not only what it takes to maintain and repair a non stock adventure bike, but to swap stories with a truly worthy story teller and adventurer.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    And just to be clear. I’m capable of doing all of this work kinda. It’s just very difficult to for instance go from one side of the bike to the other easily. What normally is a simple task becomes exceedingly difficult and frustrating. I’m a good wrench. Just need a hand.
    And sure. I’ll talk your friggin’ ear off lol.
  17. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    Sure wish I was closer, I’d be all over this. So many questions and beers.
    Bigger Al, Geezerguy and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  18. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in this situation in 2018. My DL1000 was destroyed in a head-on crash that shattered my right tib/fib/ foot, and right hand. I spent a lot of frustrating time on crutches trying to strip the bike, but it turned out to be good therapy for my head. Slow and steady worked better than my usual mechanical pace, and it became almost like a daily meditation. If you can physically manage the work, you might find that the slower pace will increase your wrenching skills and techniques. Never a bad thing.
    I also replaced the engine in my wife's F650GS about a week before getting rid of the crutches. Now THAT was a lot of fun. :lol3
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Looking back on the many GB of pictures I took on my journey throughout Latin America, I see some commonalities based upon, of course, my own personal tastes.
    One of them is a preponderance of pictures of street murals. From detailed graffiti to political statements. From fantastical to socially important. Here is a 9 minute selection of this type of art, starting in Cartegena Colombia and heading south. A separate video would need to be done for Mexico and Central America.
    I hope you enjoy something in there!
  20. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    That was great! I love street art, murals and graffiti. Having them all in one string was wonderful to see. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
    Ohio_Danimal and BarryB like this.