Cycle South 2019 la segunda parte. From Ohio to Ushuaia ( in Lima Peru, waiting for Chile to chill)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy Halloween de Parque Leoncio Prado en Lima Peru DEC4FD6F-7D31-4536-9065-0F62770B2BB0.jpeg 1CDA3266-7351-439A-B5F8-FACF28BEBC61.jpeg 3583FBC0-A311-42DA-9E57-A3CBB96B36E8.jpeg 1BBCD60C-E47D-401C-BC80-B6E2C3054DDB.jpeg
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I went grocery shopping and then back at the apartment had the best egg sandwiches of the trip (I made them lol). Local tocino (bacon) brown eggs and fresh rolls with real sliced cheddar. Toasted rolls, egg yolks slightly runny. Chacheres Cajun seasoning. Wow. They were gooo-ooood.
    Then laundry. Most everything was dirty. This place even has an electric dryer (10 soles per load) along with a nice Daewoo washer.
    Hell...I’m washing my Klim Badlands Pro jacket for the first time since new (see pics. It was filthy)
    I first went to Klim’s webpage and read about how to ensure proper washing and re-activation of the water-beading properties of the outer shell. So it’s in there now, after about 1/2 hr pre-soak with stain remover on the really dirty areas (collar, sleeves, back and front facing panels). I’ll post pics of the finished job for comparison.
    Tomorrow will wake up late, and then walk to Parque Kennedy and the city center to see the crazies come out for the Day of the Dead celebrations. This tradition is observed in many countries around the world, with variations. In Mexico, the celebration is called Dia de los Muertos, meaning Day of the Dead, but in Peru the term Dia de los Difuntos, meaning Day of the Deceased, is preferred, as it is seen to be more respectful.
    BillUA, Gordon, JimsBeemer and 3 others like this.
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Before, after six months continuous travel

68C4748C-757C-43D2-940C-890377F5560D.jpeg D82F18DF-8D59-4672-9DBE-8CCD4E744CC0.jpeg 769A82A5-1944-4901-A1BE-A90924AC50D9.jpeg
    knight, BillUA, Gordon and 2 others like this.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    C3AE0729-570B-42C8-AA54-0533667B82F6.jpeg 815EB896-D669-4C04-9EF0-D48015235052.jpeg So maybe one person might find this interesting or amusing.
    While emptying pockets on the Klim Badlands prior to washing, I found:
    • Coins from 6 countries
    • Almost a dozen foam earplugs in various states of deterioration.
    • A bunch of crumpled up little scraps of paper which I just threw in a pile.

• I was throwing the scraps out and found my notes to myself (would have been inside the map area on top of tank bag) for the border crossing from MX to Belize. Seems a million years ago already
    knight, BillUA, drhippie2 and 4 others like this.
  5. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    The motorcycle equivalent of pulling the rear seat out of a car.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    and after. Much better but not like new lol.
    Much like the riding pants I’m wearing (BMW City) it’s a freaking bitch to get the pads all back in the right places. Done though

3745B1E8-6733-4AA2-B95B-B724ECBE7948.jpeg C2C16DE0-2BA8-4F3F-AD33-E3DADCAE7281.jpeg B1083212-9DD9-475F-9B53-40260A823268.jpeg
  7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to take the pads out for washing but not any more, I think it doesnt make a bit of difference as long as your machine is big enough. May take a little longer to dry, thats all.
    everready likes this.
  8. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the notes! Heading into Belize after this weekend ;)

Loving the report, great pictures and stories!
    roadcapDen likes this.
  9. powderpig

powderpig Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    or the cushions off the couch...
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  10. powderpig

powderpig Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something about the patina of a used motorcycle jacket that makes it even better looking.
    knight and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    This info is from 3DO that makes the shock absorbing padding in the Klim jacket :

If applicable, D3O protectors should be removed carefully from the garment before washing.
    D3O protectors are wipe-clean only, using a damp cloth.
    NEVER use cleaners or detergents on or launder your D3O product. This may result in irreparable damage and will severely reduce the effectiveness of your D3O product.
    After washing, allow to dry in a ventilated space at room temperature; do not use hair dryers
    or other heaters to dry your D3O product.
    Maintenance
    Never modify any part of your D3O product.
    Protectors should be inspected before use for signs of wear and/or damage and replaced if necessary.
    If your D3O protector has sustained a significant blunt impact, it should be discarded and replaced.
    Mofrid and Rudderfeet like this.
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 10 year old Aero stitch so not sure what kind of armor it has, probably not the newest and greatest the pads are still pliable and flexible after about 5 washings with detergent. My BMW summer pants get regularly soaked in rain and I wash in detergent and the pads still seem okay.
    This guy washes his jacket in chlorine.
  13. 2talltim

2talltim Resident MacGyver

Oddometer:
    DO3 is way different than your average armor. The stuff is incredible how it works and reacts. If they say don't use detergents I'm going to listen.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Klim suggested washing with gentle cycle and mild detergent.
    The key they said, was to do a full dry cycle on HOT , and then take it out, inspect to make sure nothing is caught up or twisted and do another full dry cycle on HOT. The heat reactivates some coating that Klim applies to the outer cordura to bead water.
    I checked. It’s beading again very well.
    I’m pretty sure the orange knee and hip pads in my BMW City pants are 3DO.
    Cal likes this.
  15. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Ok, at least one! I so relate.
    ScotsFire and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I was able to connect tonight with Sharon and Chris Struna, an American couple touring South America on two DR650s.

http://thestrunas.com/
    is their website and journal

Due to long delay here in Peru waiting for parts to repair a gearbox issue on one bike, they have to now boogie for the Chile border before their visas and TVIPs expire. So only one night in Lima. We grabbed and bite to eat and chatted a while. What nice people! Hopefully we’ll meet again on the way to Ushuaia!
    They have ridden with Jim and his wife too!

CD6E3A0C-816A-4E63-9317-7CBD0E2E61C7.jpeg A82EE15D-C903-4B59-9809-844C9B0EA302.jpeg F7667AF7-C803-4F2D-85E3-7BDD7409DDA9.jpeg
    knight, BillUA, Gordon and 5 others like this.
  17. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I’m so glad you were able to meet up with them, and that you were able to help them with the Ecuador connection for the moto parts they needed to continue their journey! Hoping we can meet up with them again in Chile - and you too, somewhere down the line!
    Jim
    knight and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  18. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am all caught up now. Enjoying your RR immensely. I know how hard it is to keep these RR's up to date and moving while on the road. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us all ride along. Oh and by the way you are taking my dream ride. Hopefully some day I can follow in your tire tracks. Safe travels and GL. Thanks Again...
    Joris van O and Drybones like this.
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Jim
    I’m glad I could somehow help them. If I hadn’t have rented this place until the 13th already I would have probably gone with them to the Chile border. I look forward to when our paths cross!

Gordon
    It’s a pleasure to have you along for the ride, and it’s a strange feeling at times knowing that my own journey is inspiring others, as so many ride reports inspired me all the years leading up to my departure.
    I’m at this apartment in Lima through the 13th. After that there is a week longish loop through Cusco and the Sacred Valley, then off to Chile and all points South. Hope you continue following along!
    powderzone and Gordon like this.
  20. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    We have our first snow on the ground this morning. I need this escape more than ever.
    Joris van O and Cal like this.