Cycle South 2019 la segunda parte. From Ohio to Ushuaia (now in Antofagasta Chile)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tonight I reconnected with Adrian Cromey, the Brit that I met in Panama and rode the Stahlratte with and then travelled three weeks in Colombia with before parting ways right before crossing into Ecuador, and we went for a walk, had a nice dinner in a local Italian restaurant (lasagna con carne para yo) and got caught up with each other’s movement since we last rode together in Colombia.

Adrian met up with his Sister in Lima weeks ago and got to see lots of the main sights already with her. Also while in Lima he had a new top end and drivetrain put in his Llamaha TTR600 as well as having a new rear rim laced on. Like me, his bike is now ready for Ushuaia.

There’s a possibility that our departures from Lima coincides this Friday and we’re both headed towards Nazca to see the Nazca lines. So we might join forces for a couple of days.

Adrian is most likely entering Bolivia then and taking Bolivia south into Argentina, while I wanted to enter Chile from Peru and head South. Things are seemingly calmer in Bolivia at the moment. I’ve got time so no worries.

Adrian has been in Peru longer than me and has less time remaining on his visa.

Good to see you again mate!

0940A13B-2CDF-4006-A676-AE057874CAFE.jpeg
    Gordon, Joris van O, knight and 9 others like this.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yesterday we arrived at the Huacachina Oasis just outside of Ica Peru and got beds in a dorm room at Hostal El Boulevard. Nice and cheap and included a pretty nice breakfast.
    Huacachina is a real oasis in the middle of gigantic sand dunes, including the centuries old spring fed small lake in the center. Sand boarding and dune buggy rides are the things to do here, aside from lounging around in the shade.
    We are signed up for a 4pm dune buggy/sand rail ride today. And we decided to stay another night before moving on to Nazca tomorrow and the Nazca Lines.
    From Nazca we will part ways again. Adrian has already seen Machu Pichu with his Sister who visited him in Lima/Cusco earlier this month. He’ll head into Bolivia.
    I may stay in Ollantaytambo outside Cusco for a few days to reduce the cost of the train ride into Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu.
    Then visit Cusco a week or so and then south into Chile.
    I’ll be sure to get pictures today and post them later.
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu:D
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Fixed.
    This RR is currently a fixer upper lol
    powderzone and Cal like this.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
  6. scurry0

scurry0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dan, From Ollyantantabo is a spectacular ride over Abra Malaga and from Santa Maria to Santa Teresa a thriller. SantaTeresa is a charming low key place. You can ride an hour or so to the Hydroelectric Plant and catch a daily train to Aquas Caliente .
    Highly recommended.
    I have friends in Cusco if you need assistance. P:M Me if you do.
    scurry
    Ohio_Danimal and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  7. Tinman Tim

Tinman Tim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see your having fun Dan. Keep up the good 'work'.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    thank you! I’ll be in touch once I get closer to Cusco and the sacred valley area. Your suggestions mirror those from another friend.

Someone has to do it Tim.
    I’m happy you’re following along. It’s been a while. I trust the family is well.
    Sure wish I would have had you make the lockable toolbox before I left. I did end up using the space somewhat. Behind the left pannier rack I figured out a way of securing a Wolfman front fender bag that normally is strapped on top of dirt bike front fenders. It has some tools and a spare inner tube in there.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    5BB6EA90-D4D3-42C4-B562-9852781E99E1.jpeg B8FCBE95-707B-4A02-BC87-A9D147930F7F.jpeg Today Adrian and I rode from The Huacachina Oasis at Ica to Nazca Peru.
    It was a fairly enjoyable ride aside from strong coastal winds and some typical crazy Peruvian bus drivers.
    At one point we stopped and paid the 7 soles required to climb a roadside tower and get out first look at three of the Nazca lines features (pics forthcoming)
    I wasn’t comfortable being on the old steel tower with what seemed at the time to be an unlimited number of people allowed on it. I climbed the tower, got the shots and got the hell off that thing lol. I tried to get some nice zoom shots of Adrian up there. We’ll see.
    After arriving in the town of Nazca we checked into Hostal Guadelupe that we found on iOverlander and after unpacking and securing our gear we walked into the town center only a few blocks away and booked a 8am charter flight on a six seater Cessna tomorrow for a flight to see the sights. Should be exciting!
    Then one more night and it off towards Cusco for me. Not sure how Adrian is proceeding because he’s already experienced Machu Picchu with his Sister recently.
    So I’m still piecing together my plan. Want it to be cheap, but not sure I want to take the 10 mile hike to save the train costs etc. Will sleep on it more.
    Most all of the pics are on my camera not my phone. These two pics are flags in Nazca’s town square, and the sunset from a cafe we had coffee and cake at tonight.
    Now I’m back at the Hostal watching Houston take it to the Nationals.
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The evening after the plane ride I began feeling bad. Slight fever and digestion issues. I really felt wiped out. So I stayed in bed at Hostal Guadalupe and drank water and ate crackers. Adrian the next morning was nice enough to bring me back an egg sandwich from a nearby vendor. Great guy.
    By that evening I was feeling even worse and even though Adrian was leaving in the morning headed towards Puno Peru and then the Bolivian border, I surely couldn’t ride, so I stayed another night in Nasca and started a round of Ciproflaxin antibiotics and tried to be positive. Even as I began feeling better I wasn’t prepared to head back into the mountains towards Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu, which required me backtracking back north up the coast before heading east into the Andes.
    So I messaged Clau on WhatsApp (the owner of the Airbnb apartment in Lima I absolutely loved) and found out it was open again. So, with my mood deflated and worry creeping into my decision to head into Chile, booked her place in Lima for two weeks.
    It’s cheap, clean, modern, great bed and pillows, hot water aplenty, and I’m familiar with the neighborhood and like it.
    This gives me time to feel better while feeling safe and secure and to let a better plan develope. Hopefully the people of Chile will calm down and tire from the violence.
    While the people certainly deserve the right to protest, and Chile has far too long had nominal working wages for most lower and middle class workers while the Government splurges trying to live a modern, high-tech high-rise lifestyle, it only takes a few hundred of the millions of protestors to start hurling bricks at police, set fire to subway stations and cause general destruction to trigger the heavy handed response we have seen on the news. Tear gas all over, water cannons and rubber (and some reported live) bullets fired into the crowds.
    Their 76 year old president, long thought corrupt, even dismissed half his cabinet this week to try to calm protests, but that only seemed to motivate further the violence from the handfuls of bad eggs amongst literally millions of people trying to peacefully protest.
    So maybe, just maybe it will calm down some.
    If not, I may just go ahead and spend the $160 needed for the Bolivian visa, though things are sketchy there now as well.
    I’m looking forward to two weeks of relative tranquility.
    Riding today back north up the coast from Nasca to Lima was wild. GPS estimated six hour run I did in four. Sunny hasn’t seen that pace since the flats of Kansas. Going back to stock (taller) gearing recently really helps at speed. The DR is now comfy and buzz-free at 70mph. And she’s running great.
    Freshly showered now, it’s nap time.
    Good wifi here so later I’ll post up pictures from the last week.
    Adios
    BillUA, Mofrid, Joris van O and 14 others like this.
  11. Starstruck

Starstruck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good move. Rest up!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  12. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be CAREFUL WITH CIPROFLOXACIN ., there are horror stories about its potential bad effects .
    .... google Ciprofloxacin , side effects .
    Be very wary of strong meds not prescribed by a doctor .
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  13. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Excellent decision. Rest up recharge and get a clearer perspective on the the options Southward with your health back to optimal.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the warning Sjoerd. I’ve used it before without issue.
    Cal likes this.
  15. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m still following daily Dan.....and sending some positive vibes your way man.

Sjoerd is wise to issue the warning, so no disrespect meant towards his counsel.....but you did the right thing (IMO) pulling the trigger on the Ciproflaxin... feel free to PM me if I can help. You know I’ll do whatever I can to help sort out whatever medical you need.....

You know the drill....Hydrate. Sleep. Protein. No raw veggies, solo Aguas con gas, unless the seal is real......hydrate, sleep, repeat
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Gracias mi amigo.
    scout68 likes this.
  17. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Take the full course of your antibiotic and be prepared for more gastric issues as it kills off your intestinal flora. Also, be extra careful in what you eat. That intestinal flora is protective against bugs coming in. Once those bacteria are gone nasty bacteria coming in from your food can set up shop. No bueno.
    scout68 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    On the ride along the Peru coast with Adrian Cromey from Huacachina to Nasca
    DSCN3412.JPG DSCN3419.JPG DSCN3420.JPG DSCN3421.JPG DSCN3422.JPG DSCN3425.JPG

Cycle South tag

DSCN3426.JPG

From the roadside tower on PE1 seeing the first pictograph, the tree
    DSCN3428.JPG DSCN3429.JPG DSCN3430.JPG DSCN3435.JPG

The route that the 6 seater Cessna we chartered flew over the pictographs

DSCN3436.JPG

Waiting for the flight. We used MovilAir, newest fleet, best safety record

DSCN3437.JPG DSCN3441.JPG DSCN3442.JPG DSCN3445.JPG DSCN3448.JPG

The Astronaut figure
    DSCN3460.JPG DSCN3462.JPG

Perro
    DSCN3472.JPG
    BillUA, Gordon, Joris van O and 3 others like this.
  19. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Mono
    DSCN3468.JPG

Hummingbird
    DSCN3475.JPG DSCN3477.JPG DSCN3478.JPG

Aracna

DSCN3480.JPG
    Condor

DSCN3481.JPG

Parrot
    DSCN3484.JPG

Tree and hands
    DSCN3485.JPG DSCN3486.JPG

Landing strips
    DSCN3488.JPG

Aqueducts

DSCN3491.JPG
    BillUA, Gordon, roadcapDen and 6 others like this.
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your last photo shows the Geometric puquios, when I was there I grabbed a private guide to take me to them and I was able to go in them. The guide was super knowledgeable and told me the under ground canals went all the way back to the mountains. He also explained the hydrology and why they were shaped the way they are, I can not remember it all but some thing to do with the water flowing in those rings prevented the water( during high water times) from destroying the under ground canals.