Cycle South 2019 la segunda parte. From Ohio to Ushuaia (now in Arica Chile)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Nice! So where are the other retirement areas you're looking at Danimal?
    Gracious, RoadcapDen
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    though not a huge NFL fan (el beisbol es mi favorito) I have always enjoyed the Browns (my home team) and Steelers rivalry. Hell, I enjoy ANY rivalry in Professional Sports as it seems to always spice things up.
    Sitting in my apartment in Cusco, streaming the game.
    477C1A08-AB70-4093-AAA0-69F2EA05F7E0.jpeg
  3. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    OK, Chile it is - in that case please check out the Tropic of Capricorn as you pass through, it should be at 23.4367° south.

Apologies, I'm getting a bit carried away here, I shouldn't really be interfering with the spontaneity of your ride from my armchair in England.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  4. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Argentina ? Cool ! There is a famous wine producing area around Cafayate, that I want to see. Anywhere they grow grapes is usually beautiful country and pleasant weather. Doug Casey, one of my heroes, an anarchist, silver/gold investor, and mining speculator, has a big retirement community there. He has a golf course, polo field, health club, and a restaurant on the property. He sells big house lots there but it is almost sold out. It is not cheap, and you need to be like him to buy there. He likes to talk about how good the beef is, as well as the wine and other things. I have never heard an opinion from a motorcycle adventurer about his area.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    No worries. Interfere away!
    DavidM1 likes this.
  6. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Think about the incredulity of that. You, a man from Ohio, watching a game in America on a device smaller that the note binder you carried in school, while in Peru. And sharing it all with followers around the globe.
  7. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Expressed quite well by Lee Marvin in Paint Your Wagon, "I was Born Under a Wandering Star."
    JimsBeemer and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  8. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cal, DavidM1 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  9. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ride from Cusco to Puno was one my favorites , lots of great places to explore enroute

Check out the condors in Colca Canyon near Chivay Peru

I really enjoyed Arequipa too
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    59D59CCF-7C1E-4CBB-A32A-49ABDA0AEE1D.png
  11. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still find it incredible that in high school, I went to the library to use the Encyclopedia Britannica for writing my papers...now, I have access to the entire knowledge of the world on my phone. Wow.
    JimsBeemer and drhippie2 like this.
  12. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is why I like to read ADV reports, you do not get the same info off of main stream media outlets, Thanks.
    Ohio_Danimal and drhippie2 like this.
  13. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the route I took ,with a few detours along the way
    I took a couple of dirt roads that paralleled the hiway ,one was on the right side around some weird rock formations , met the locals
    You will also see signs for archaeological sites/ruins along the way,they are free and you will most likely have them all to yourself
    When the river is on your left ,there will be a foot path leading to a suspension bridge over the river, that you will be able to see from the hiway
    Check it out
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  14. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in hearing what the other places are on your "top 5 retirement spots" list.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  15. onlydad

onlydad n00b

Oddometer:
    As you can see by my odometer I'm somewhat a lurker and tend not to post. Though lurk I do.. I discovered you Dan quite some time ago and followed along admiringly until your medical folly on your first try, I dropped you flat..
    But.. picked you up again a few weeks ago, it took me this long to catch up. We're the same age, more or less the same demographic, I have the same bike as you with much the same mods I have similar dreams (I assume) and though I don't smoke any more I have some history of puffing the dragon. I go on minor adventures in my own country (Canada) I've been coast to coast to coast..
    You did it Dan, you persevered, you pulled the trigger, you are living the dream. I know in my small way firsthand it's a challenge (as do most of your followers) day in and day out, physically, psychologically, emotionally, financially and yet you endure.. I was moved recently when a few of your devotees got together and crowd sourced a modest sum to cover a camera, quite, deeply, moved. Moved enough to want to pipe in.
    Hats off to you Dan, respect, cudos and cheers... And have a puff for me..
    Glenn from Canada
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    What a ride today! A little of everything.
    I left Cusco at 7:15 (early for me) at 10,500 ft, cool and misting. The entire ride today varied from 10,500 to just over 15,000 ft.
    I then headed south on PE3S towards Puno, and expected 6-7 hour ride.
    After maybe 25 minutes of fighting dwindling Cusco traffic, it was mostly clear sailing.
    Magnificent road! Sweeping bends, decent road surface and absolutely insane scenery. As I am kinda used to the altitude now, it’s strange riding between rows of snow-capped peaks that seem so damn close. And they are! You look down at the GPS and are shocked to see the lush green valley you’re in is 14,700 feet! Farming abounds in this section. Some cattle but not massive cattle farms. Some farmers working herds on the mountainside of maybe 200-300 head.
    The weather improved for a while. Then I could see crazy black clouds in front of me to the SE and eventually heavy rain came, luckily AFTER I stopped and put all my cold/wet gear on. Good thing too! Gerbings liner on high. Heated grips on high, Klim winter Goretex gloves. The works.
    As I approached a particularly low-visibility valley with what I first though was heavy fog and rain, I saw a lot of emergency lights in the distance ahead. Suddenly I rode right into an area (maybe 2 miles long) where 2-3 inches of snow had fallen. Multiple crashes. Lots of Policia and tow vehicles.
    I slowed to a crawl and stayed right behind the taxi in front of me, riding in his right Wheel track in the snow. Sketchy lol. The MotoZ tires did a great job. A little slipping and sliding but I stayed upright.
    There was another scary time. Came into a fairly large town. 3S was closed and I was routed right smack into a town on a hillside. In heavy rain. Dirt and mud. And more mud. Then there was more dirt. And wet cobblestone. And....worst of all, mucho train tracks everywhere. Slick as snot. And tall rails. Multiple time had my front tire slip sideways crossing a set.
    As I climbed and turned into Puno, the sight of the incredibly large Lake Titicaca came into view. Wow. I’m at Lake Titicaca!! Peru!
    I then finally arrived at my hotel in Puno. In heavy rain lol. Checked in, secured Sunny, and changed into dry street clothes.
    Am now waiting for a wood-fired medium sausage/pepperoni pizza. And beer.
    Tomorrow will take a day-long boat tour in the Lake. Should be fun. Hope the weather improves. I’m fact, that’s why I’m not buying my ticket tonight. If it’s raining cats and dogs I’m probably going to opt out of the boat tour.

Maybe tonight if wifi is good I’ll post the first pics with the new camera.
    BillUA, Joris van O, Klinc207 and 6 others like this.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I’m moved. Thank you for the uplifting post mi amigo.

attached are a few cell pics from Puno Peru. Just taken. 0FA76798-5C7D-4006-AE0D-57E9B8441D2A.jpeg 1C57E78E-190B-402C-9FD5-EF5B6D5F8485.jpeg 52C3273F-9C32-4810-928E-1B8F91880323.jpeg CB441BDA-E931-452E-B2B9-ED372DEA3F4B.jpeg DE88FC4E-2B75-4AF2-87DB-F77E6377A30B.jpeg
    BillUA, gulfcoaster, Gordon and 3 others like this.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    well, not in order, but....
    San Miguel de Allende. I have friends that live there that showed me how beautiful the area is.

San Jose del Pacifico. Home of incredible psychoactive mushrooms, insane scenery, food and lodging that are almost too cheap. One of the most beautiful spots I’ve ever seen.

Oaxaca City. Guelaguetza. Cheap. Beautiful. ‘Nuf said.

Guatape Colombia. Cheap. Beautiful. Water and freshwater fishing everywhere.

Quito Ecuador. Maybe the ONLY big city on my list.

Cuenca Ecuador. Maybe numero uno en mi listo. Not enough room here to list the positive attributes.

Peru?.....I have many favorite areas. I’ve been here over two months. Still mulling it over.
    roadcapDen and Scribe like this.
  19. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    If you opt out of the boat tour tomorrow because of weather, I hope you’ll stick around a day or two to wait it out and take the boat tour! We loved Lake Titicaca - totally caught me of guard. I had no idea just how large and beautiful it was until I saw it with my own eyes. The color of the water reminds me of Lake Tahoe, or Crater Lake in Oregon. And the reed islands are something to see!

You are catching up to us bit by bit - It is summer in Santiago, warm weather awaits!
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Pictures from the old Nikon, from the ride to Santa Teresa and eventually Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu

roadside stop
    DSCN3645.JPG DSCN3646.JPG DSCN3647.JPG DSCN3648.JPG

Love Peru
    DSCN3649.JPG DSCN3650.JPG DSCN3651.JPG DSCN3652.JPG DSCN3653.JPG DSCN3654.JPG DSCN3655.JPG DSCN3656.JPG DSCN3657.JPG DSCN3658.JPG DSCN3659.JPG

This was PE28B, and was EPIC
    DSCN3662.JPG DSCN3663.JPG

Military camp and checkpoint
    DSCN3667.JPG
    Coming at the Sacred Valley from the West

DSCN3668.JPG
    One of hundreds of waterfalls and associated water crossings

DSCN3669.JPG DSCN3670.JPG DSCN3671.JPG