Cycle South 2019 la segunda parte. From Ohio to Ushuaia (now in Cuenca Ecuador)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Foch an "A".
    Sunday Rider and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  2. jaratr

jaratr Without a ride

Oddometer:
    Jesus: that was bad.
    [​IMG]
    Grynch and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Maps.me works too. Uses the exact same OSM maps found in Osmand and the .nl download site.

I like how Osmand works vs Maps.me but it's just a personal choice.

Osmand includes 10 free countries/regions so you can try it too and see how you like it.
    I paid a few bucks for Osmand + and that gives me unlimited map downloads for anywhere in the world. I add and remove areas as needed.
    elron and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    If you do decide on it this one is tops
    https://nordvpn.com/

Besides privacy one of the best features is that it makes your phone/computer look like it's in the US if you want to use Pandora /Netflix/You Tube vs being in that countries restrictions
    elron and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  5. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Just found your RR recently after being inactive from this forum for almost a year. Sorry I missed you recently while I was in Medellin- just flew out of Medellin few days ago back to NC. Had I found your RR a month earlier you would have a place to stay for free and plenty of foods. Maybe when you are making your way back north?

GPS hiccup. I bought Garmin SA map and few weeks later the SD card that map was on went defect. No longer work. I contacted Garmin and they wouldn't replace it. I was disappointed so I downloaded SA map from open source map and added it to my GPS. I added POI from iOverlander GPX file to my so it will show all hotel/hostel/wild camping/good or bad service/robbery/etc. on the GPS. iOverlander link here: http://app.ioverlander.com/countries/places_by_country Note: I had to separate POI of Chile and Argentina from combined Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia because Chile and Argentina has too many POI it overloads. Still was very helpful for me on my trip especially when I am deaf and didn't have cellular service. As backup Maps.me on my iPhone.

Good luck and safe travel!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  6. powderpig

powderpig Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Personally, I would never access a WiFi network that has ANY other users without use of a VPN. It's such cheap insurance against being hacked by that one other guy in the cafe who is monitoring your computer with his and cleaning out your bank account.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  7. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    +1
    + 1 on nordvpn. Works great for me here in Mexico
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    I returned from a wild ride today (Wild for this guy at least lol) with Sata Gavilanes, owner of Moto Hell in Quito, Michele Merizalde Ayala and Caro Botique. We rode out of Quito at 10am and after a short while we left pavement behind.
    First we exchanged paved surfaces for old rough cobblestone.
    Then it transitioned into rough rocky two track.
    As the signs began appearing it was apparent that we were heading towards the active volcano Cotopaxi.
    Up we climbed, to above 12,000 feet (4000 meters Caro lol) and the temperature dropped significantly.
    We went as far as they would let motorcycles, at the final gate at the base. Eruption warning signs were green lit. I found it odd that they let 4x4’s go further, but not motos.
    We stopped at the gate, waited a while to try to get clear pictures of the snow-covered peak, but only caught glimpses here and there. What was visible was spectacular! Even the peaks nearby were other-worldly. And they get to ride this stuff all the time! A few times I was breathing heavy, no doubt due to the altitude.
    After a while we geared back up in high, cold winds and took a turn and rode 12km further down Ruta de la volcana to a restaurant where we stopped for lunch. I had an excellent chicken salad and the others had steaks served on a sizzling stone platter (that wouldn’t stop sizzling, sputtering droplets all over)
    After lunch we then rode further into the volcano’s shadow to a crazy Hostal in there called “the Secret Garden”
    There were MANY backpackers and overlanders there. And what a view!
    We each had a pint of beer and then off we went again, back towards civilization!
    I haven’t ridden that much standing up in a LONG time. The road was very rough and rock-strewn. But no one went down!
    Three of us ran helmet video. Several us us took ample photos (Sata is so good....while I’m struggling to maintain control, he rides past us one-handed on the trail, taking pictures of us!)
    As we re-entered town, we stopped again for some excellent ice cream.
    My original plan was to leave Quito tomorrow.
    But now my plan is to take ibuprofen and sleeeeeep. Think maybe Tuesday I’ll leave lol.
    Tomorrow I’ll look at my pics and video and post something up.
    Thanks again Sata and Michelle for the memorable ride. Some of the best scenery I’ve seen on my journey so far!
  9. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Dan,
    Thanks for taking time to post. Glad you had a good test today. I love riding to some sort of physical limit, makes me think about getting leaner and stronger, not older, more sedentary, and fat.....

You probably already have a route south...but the e20 out of Quito to papallacta and baeza is a hell of a beautiful ride. Antisana will be to your right almost the whole way to baeza....it’s stunning. E45 south from baeza will take you towards Tena. It flattens considerably , but you’d probably head east by then anyway .. I remember you mentioning Guayaquil I think. Anyway, that place is special to me. One of my daughters is a teacher on the Napo river south of Tena. It’s a timeless place.

Soak it up. Ride safe.

3F669C6E-8B91-4637-A962-0C59EFE87779.jpeg
    td63, enduro16 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  10. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't knock 'em till you try 'em!! :lol2
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Pictures from yesterday’s ride around volcano Cotopaxi Ecuador

869647CD-5295-4C65-B4D8-C898FE996451.jpeg 0DDDDF6F-F68D-4EE8-BE15-0D7C3A90B6A6.jpeg 79B9E721-008C-489E-AB5E-D0C9627F8238.jpeg 7C9DFEDF-ADB1-4915-A6B8-8E2428EFC06E.jpeg 7C2E0C69-0999-47A2-A035-24BFCA4D0592.jpeg C1F020C8-39F1-4F85-8EDA-2B6557D5CEED.jpeg 12A76674-A61D-47C0-89DF-A5822FCFD578.jpeg 8A6E7071-C01B-4873-9E0E-D012F6CD750F.jpeg 87A10549-DF4C-4045-8A35-0CD84B2806DB.jpeg 532709C9-246B-438B-8627-1180A2966397.jpeg 178B9AD1-E202-4C3E-A180-5BCF029ED976.jpeg B6465E1A-EB48-43E8-80F2-40F79BE40CF8.jpeg 66556ED0-73CF-4640-A279-C38F30E6EB06.jpeg
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    What bikes were they riding? Look like smaller Honda's
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Starting to look colder.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Im heading North and West next, to the Ecuador coast, then riding South along the coast a bit. Doesn’t mean I won’t head back North and East. Thanks for the route suggestions!

Sata and his wife Michele were on DR650’s. Sata’s shop in Quito, Moto Hell, specializes in the Suzuki DR.
    The other rider, a French Woman named Caro, is on a Honda XRE300 she bought in Colombia and started riding South

Quito sits at 10,000 ft and is nice. Moderate and not hot. Haven’t seen rain in the week I’ve been here.
    Get up above 11,000 ft however and the temps drop quickly. It’s deceptive. When you’re at the base of Cotopaxi and it looks like green valley-Swiss like areas, it’s already over 12,000 ft....at its base!

I have a friend in SMA Mexico that owns one and let me ride it one afternoon.
    It’s a great bike. Decent suspension. And just enough power to hold highway speeds easily.
    Sata added a windscreen to this one that pit perfect, and also constructed an aluminum dash panel for Caro that had voltage gauge and twin USB ports.

Sunny was pretty filthy from yesterday’s ride so she got a thorough cleaning. The chain was cleaned well and re-lubed (I use motor oil I keep in a dropper bottle. Takes a few minutes but has multiple advantages over spray chain lives: doesn’t attract dirt, any that flings off wipes clean, always have extra oil available on a long trip like this, and really gets into the roller well, promoting longer chain life)

The bike is all shiny now and ready to be packed up tomorrow for my departure for the Ecuador coastline.

I had Sata Gavilanes and Michele Merizalde Ayala sign Sunny, something I do when I meet folks I like. Some signatures are from good friends back in Ohio right before I left back in June 2018.

As I’m running out of real estate on both sides of the huge gas tank, I gave them virgin territory...the first to sign the front fairing. It was only a matter of time!

I also picked up a set of OEM front brake pads, as the set I was carrying was installed in Guatape Colombia. Nice to know I have them. The last rear pads lasted 30,000 miles so I don’t think I’ll need rear pads for quite some time.

The pictures are of Sunny all clean, and also I thought I’d share pics of all the signatures.

Some of you following will recognize your own signatures. Thanks for being part of the best time in my life!

E61B3AF2-DBB8-4892-8D96-CF3A519B2FDE.jpeg 0C9A8972-0937-4B07-A12A-F602CB9CE94D.jpeg D7808B86-DC14-4CA4-9ABD-28B0EC0551AE.jpeg 12224583-825A-42E3-942B-E334DDC03C1C.jpeg A3223817-0FCD-4B28-BCD0-22E12EF442AD.jpeg 662C0FCC-A176-4DE1-90FF-7EA56D023B53.jpeg C8DD7444-54CC-4141-9D53-F57994A76C80.jpeg C7840094-BA24-4034-87D0-3C66BD7B79F7.jpeg 1B488AA1-9E06-4C68-B353-5AABCEF630BB.jpeg 4FC2121B-A82D-4FC6-8E3E-0EE287F55736.jpeg D45E3214-5F22-43E5-A33A-6139BCAC9EE1.jpeg DB6DE1E7-9342-4308-90F7-5D4435922D43.jpeg
  16. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Stock BST that Derek rebuilt using ethanol-resistant o rings. Stock airbox with snorkel.
    Procycle midpipe and X40FOX GSXR can with spark arrestor installed.
    He wasn’t happy that I had a friend that runs a performance shop tune the bike later on a Dyno. He went off saying how the Dyno couldn’t do this or couldn’t show that.
    All I know is that the graphs from stock jetting to finished form showed improvement on the fuel/air mix.
    Carb also has a manual air/fuel screw installed. Haven’t had to mess with it but once...last year on Mt. Evans Colorado at over 14,500 ft.
    Since then has been pretty flawless (finding wood to knock in now)
    CapitalG5 and Grynch like this.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I arrived in Esmereldas Ecuador around 4pm today.
    What a combination of riding! Beginning with heavy traffic mix leaving Quito around 9am, and ending with spritzing mist, palm trees and more heavy mixed traffic entering the coastal area surrounding Esmereldas.
    In between was heaven.
    Leaving the high altitude of Quito and it’s corresponding cooler temperatures, E20 was a roller coaster ride! Non-stop mountainous twists and turns, mostly four-lane, with excellent pavement quality and little traffic that kept pace with the mighty DR650.
    With nearly all turns heavily banked, the trucks, busses and cars kept a higher than normal mountain pace while descending.
    With the Western Andes mountains on my right, it reminded me tactically of my first time riding the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Smoky Mountains. Do I look at the incredible scenery and potentially blow a turn? It was that enjoyable.
    As the altitude dropped below 5000 ft, I began to see glimpses of the Esmereldas River far below in the Canyon.
    Waterfalls cascading down every few miles from out of massive rock canyons.
    Finally I passed through a small town, packed with people and bikes and vehicles.
    As the mixture of smells emanating from the various restaurants took their toll, my stomach grumbled and thoughts of lunch took over.
    Shortly after exiting that village I spied a random comidor and pulled in.
    The owner, reclined on a hammock offered greetings. I asked what fish they had and was told fresh tilapia! Perfect.
    So I rested a while, ate tilapia and ensalada and a massive pile of arroz.
    While eating I became surrounded by a group of chickens, pecking and walking over and around my Alpinestar boots.
    While no one looked (I thought) I dumped piles of rice into the ground and watched them squawk and fight over the rice. Eventually the woman cooking took note and we laughed about me fattening up her next meals. I had fun. Food was excellent!
    After that, I began seeing palms and tropical fruits being sold in roadside tiendas.
    Then traffic intensified. And the distance to my target began shrinking in the GPS quickly.
    Finally I saw the ocean on the Garmin and pulled into Esmereldas.
    I found the Airbnb home easy enough, and Bryan, the home owner met me at his gate.
    Nice enough place, two blocks from the famous beach where I sit now, eating wood-fired pizza and drinking cerveza.
    I’ll be here two nights.
    Finally my right ear cleared after a few chugs of beer. It’ll be a nice change. Then will head down the coast a few days to Montanita, before heading East back into the Andes.
    Loving Ecuador! And loving life right now.

A27F90F6-8798-49BC-8AA4-371256504082.jpeg 43D8890B-0EA9-45E4-B5CA-5A2C2BAA7AAB.jpeg 734D3803-0B10-4728-B90B-30E327C9216A.jpeg
  19. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I grew up down the street from Derek---- Do not get him going about the Dyno-:lol2

One thing for sure, if you need a part for the BST 40 carb he has it in stock.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I’m carrying two complete rebuild kits with me.
    And it’s hard to argue with the data the dyno charts show before and after, regardless of what anyone thinks.
    radmann10 likes this.