Cycle South 2019 la segunda parte. From Ohio to Ushuaia (now in Panama)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
  2. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    A tope is a stop or a limiter. It is the same word you use for a door stop or things that limit motion or even duration. When I slide my panniers onto the rack, there is a tope to keep me from pushing then too far.

The huge, beached-whale like structures indiscriminately placed on roadways are also called topes.

If you say "pinche topes" no one will think you are talking about doors
    Ohio_Danimal and Tagman like this.
  4. Tagman

Tagman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We know topes!
    Ohio_Danimal and Turkeycreek like this.
  5. whm3223

whm3223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is interesting because we call them another name in Colombia.

Policia acostada. Literally "lying down police officer".
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Some better than others.:muutt
  7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tumulos in Central america
  8. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Sleeping policeman in Jamaica
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    E3A81312-543C-4E31-A69B-71EB2CD0ECAE.jpeg 2DAFB09D-EC5B-4A9D-997E-74877EA11B37.jpeg C7622C89-BE16-4B0E-BD81-411598AB4A69.jpeg 12F90520-3FE0-4DA3-ACDD-DB7792808CBB.jpeg A few pics from Centro Eco Cascadia, outside Palenque
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Also wanted to share some recent thoughts on the bike’s condition and upcoming needed maintenance, etc.

Ya know they do require some care and upkeep, especially when riding nearly every day, carrying over 100lb of gear and riding over all the road obstacles that are Mexican roads

Sunny is running surprisingly well, considering the miles she’s seen since last June.

First is tires. The rear hasn’t much left, and the front is cupping slightly. Not enough to cause any handling defects, but it’s not wearing evenly anymore by a long shot.

The rear has over 10000 miles on it though! I’ve never got that many milea off of a rear ever...on any bike (these are MotoZ Tractionator GPS tires)

The front? It’s got around...get this...16,000 miles! I didn’t replace it when the last rear wore out. The first GPS rear wore out it only 6000 miles.

But that 6000 miles included most of the TAT hrough Utah and Colorado. That beat the crap out of it riding all that rocky off-road. Large chunks of rubber broke off the knobby sections. (The tires are 50/50 street/off-road)

So it’s a question of:

Do I try to stretch them all the way through Central America, babying them the whole way, because Cartegena Columbia, where the boat drops me and Sunny off from Panama, is LOADED with awesome motorcycle shops. Columbians love modern bikes (Mexicans love bikes too, but the average income local owns a Chinese 150 or scooter mainly)

Tire selection here in Mexico is hard if you’re on the road. I’ve looked. Only seen one 130/17 rear tire and it was a full-on knobby Motocross type tire.

Second is chain and sprockets. Over 18,000 miles on this set, and it’s showing it. Might be easier to baby them than the tires.

Oil changes? Last one was at my friend’s in San Miguel.Geoff Braun’s place 2200 miles ago. Leaves me 800-1000 ish before change required. Thinking Belize City for that.

Brake pads are getting thin (I’m carrying spares) but every time I inspect, they look the same!! Will keep an eye on them.

Sometime soon she needs washed. Filthy through and through. It’d be good to get all the body/fairing/tank off to inspect the subframe area for cracks. No rattling or loose parts there yet (I check after every day of hitting topes lol) but it’s worth a look, and getting decent welding done is cheap and easy all over down here and even further South. Folks don’t throw out and buy new shit here because it breaks. They weld it lol.
  11. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    If you consider the cost of replacing tires a bit early, it's like giving someone $25usd for peace of mind. Better to spend $ than to worry. Have them sent to your ABnB in Chetumal. Someone here can recommend a source in CDMX. Or frustrate yourself with MercadoLibre.

You're carrying a chain and sprockets, no? At 18k, you've got your money's worth. Swap.

You're running high quality synthetic oil. Let it do its thing. You may be hot and sweaty at the end of each day, but the oil's just fine. Use science rather than emotion. Let it go 3-5k.
    td63 likes this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Hola!
    No, not carrying chain or sprocket.
    And I’m not even booked yet in Chetemal, so no address. Stopping at a Suzuki Dealer in Campeche today to see what they might have, or can find. But yeah, am looking for any decent set that fit, including mostly street rubber.
    And I’m not too worried about the oil.
    Yet.
    Tell Birdie I said hello!
    “Fork?!?!”
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guatemala City is full of motorcycle shops search, llantas para motos Guatemala
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  14. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Keep in mind that it’s coming up on one of the rainy seasons in Central America. I haven’t experienced it (yet) but the research I did for my now postponed trip says it’s coming. I think you’re a bit ahead of it all (nice job on missing the monsoon in the northern deserts) but may be a factor in replacing the tires sooner than later.

Or you may have crossed the Gap before it hits. Maybe some others have better knowledge and can pipe in.
  15. whm3223

whm3223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    *Colombia

If you have trouble getting the maintenance done before you get here, you can certainly get it done after you get through Central America. The DR650 is Colombia's national police motorcycle. Plenty of parts availability.
  16. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your pics from Palenque(what Nikon are you using?....really fantastic quality pics)

Arent you gonna hit the Grandaddy Mayan site of Tikal since you're right there ?

Guatemala City seems out of your way from where you are since you're headed to Panama,but hey I dont have a map in front of me....maybe you wanna hit Antigua...Panajachel,Atitlan,ect...just seems roundabout...

When you can Dan...(ooo your new nickname....Dan Can...).maybe post a route map up again....good stuff ...carry on...

Persistence is a mofo that rocks the free world.....you keep proving it again and again....
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pictures comments. It’s a Nikon B500
    Heavy, but really capable for a point and shoot and allows awesome field manipulation.
    Also has a 40X optical zoom with very effective image stabilizer. Kinda heavy though. One part of that weight is a plus, as it uses 4x AA batteries for long life, and I’m using AA lipo batteries that each recharge through a micro USB port on the battery, and a 4-way splitter cable to charge all four at one time (using similar lipo AAAs in my SPOT3)

Plan is to check of Tikal yes.
    Route through CA is undetermined as of yet.
    inroads, Grynch and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.
  18. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Dan, thank you for posting!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  19. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I would say “route undetermined as of yet” is a most excellent way to travel brother.

Keep the good stuff flowing man. Nice job.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer: