Cycle South 2019 la segunda parte. From Ohio to Ushuaia (now in Panama)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that mezcal?
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod:smooch
  3. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will take that as a yes!!! Uh oh!!!!!!
    Nice report, have fun. Life is way too short.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    ... and with alcohol burning your already tortured guts it might be shorter still. Take it easy and be careful with those solvents, they only work as preservatives in jars with lab specimens .

But you were wondering about doing bike maintenance in Belize , which I do not recommend . The aspect of using English does not help much and it is only a few km beyond Mexico , two days from GT City.
    BZ taken as the whole country does not , as far as I've seen , have any noteworthy motorcycle dealerships equipped for service on gringo- bikes. At most there is Caribbean Tire with service outlets for automotive/ agricultural uses and they sell a line of pizza - bikes .Any bigger bikes you see will be private imports ( used mostly) from Anglo America .
    Your best approach is to get any Suzuki service arranged in Mexico ( Merida, Cancun or Chetumal ) or hold off until Guatemala City where there are actual Motorcycle dealerships and scores of smaller tire and parts stores where your particular sizes will be stocked . :clap Their prices are very competitive , no reason to try stretching the use much past the wear indicators .
    GT CITY being due south of Tikal is really not "
    Out of the way " en route to Panama .
    (You have directions in your possession already- Central America Hotels)
    SkizzMan, Cal and edstoll like this.
  5. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looked like the bottle was unopened. It is for souvenir purposes only? Right?
    :photog:rofl
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    It was offered to me for $10 as a souvenir, and I told them I didn’t want it!
    Total shots of mezcal in two days there =2
    I appreciate the concern from all.
    Grynch and Mofrid like this.
  7. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Not that it matters but Guatemala City/Antigua is out of your way from where you are now being SW and puts you on the Pan Am....boooo.

Worth the diversion I'd say (if you need bike maintenance and spectacular Lake Atitlan and more interaction with the indigenous people of Guatemala..) but you are kinda forced to go thru EL Salvador...boooo..instead of thru Honduras and more spectacular Mayan ruinas (Copan) and the fabulous islands of Rotan.

It's a win win though and the kinda tough choices we'd all like to manage.
  8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont understand your reasoning about visiting Guatemala city and it being out of his way and being on the PanAm. If it is a first time visit all these places are new and worth seeing. El Salvador has great beach areas and surfing and of course great Pupusas. You can then go back north to cross into Honduras at Copan. I could spend 3 or 4 weeks in Guate. alone! They are not very big countries in Central america so you can meander around. Saludos.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I have to meet the Stahlratte in Carti Panama on July 20th, so not a lot of time for wandering. And to really see all the things worth seeing means slow travel.
    Cal likes this.
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did not realize the short time frame you are working with. You still have 20 days so about 2/1/2 days in each country, you will have to go back in the future when this trip is over, after all CA is very close to the US , only problem is Mexico can stall your progress. lol

Just looked at your spot, ready to cross into Belize did you get a new tire?
  11. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    The biggest reasoning is you have 1 less country(El Salvador) to Entrada/Salida
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    No. Gonna try to baby this one into Guatemala City. I’ve been told by many no problem there.
  13. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    ^^^ you go right by Belize City and thru the capital Belmopan...on your way to Tikal....there are motorbike shops there....worth a try...
    That's a long way from Tikal to GC.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    589A5ACF-90FE-4081-8374-6E3BE8A3C792.jpeg 6CE95871-9C1C-4A17-82A9-5AFEBCC7D00B.jpeg 023E7545-0358-4945-929B-9E33D19F381B.jpeg B5F00C8B-6DDA-4011-9BAC-118452D20795.jpeg The wifi here is hit or miss, mostly miss, so I’ll keep this short.
    Today I spent the early morning riding to a few more motorcycle shops that I located online.
    At the first, Kawasaki Quintana Roo Chetumal, has a 130/80-17 rear Michelin Sirac enduro tire in tubeless!!
    They didn’t have a front of anything I’d want to run, but for a reasonable $90 US they mounted the Sirac and disposed of the MotoZ. Goodbye MotoZ GPS, you served me well!
    The owner called and found a front tire at a shop a few miles away, Motohouse QR, Chetumal.
    They had a Metzler Karoo 3 enduro front in the correct 90/90-21 size, and mounted it right away for me. Even reduced the labor because I helped.
    I wanted to inspect the brake pads, and make sure the front wheel’s axle and axle clamp were tightened correctly.
    So after that, being Monday, most all of the nicer looking ocean front restaurants were closed.
    Riding down a random street I saw a crowd standing outside “Pollo Champs” restaurant. In 10 minutes I was loading a chicken, rice and beans dinner (with cole slaw and mashed papas) into my pannier and heading back.
    Then a little more bike cleaning and fixing. I had a strap buckle on my Wolfman tank bag break. I had a spare buckle but it wasn’t interchangeable.
    I heated up a blade and melted a slot on the new buckle so I could work it over the strap loop on the tank bag. Worked a charm.
    Cleaned the fairing and windscreen for the first time in weeks. Gads of butterfly and big guts crammed into every nook and cranny. Remind me to keep it cleaner.
    Now I’m done eating and showering. Will start packing and review my notes for the border crossing into Belize tomorrow. Short ride to Belize City where I have a room rented already.
    Grynch, MrMac, SOLOKLR and 2 others like this.
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report and tire find. I crossed at Chetumal on a Sunday and could not find insurance....so about an hour into Belize I had to buy lunch for a policeman at a check point!:lol3
    Thats sure a great looking bike.
    Turkeycreek likes this.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cal. Coming from you that means a lot.
    She turned out great. Rick and the guys at Cogent nailed the suspension.
    A bit of study revealed all the DR needed for RTW prep. The help from Dr. Joe at Yenkro was invaluable.
    And the wheels provided by Woodys Wheel Works haven’t needed even touched in 30,000 +hard miles and thousands of topes lol. Woody’s a dear friend, and his Son Chris (@woodyswheelworks) and builder Jerod have always taken good care of me. Can’t wait to visit Denver for the third time in the way home from la segunda parte.
    Also gotta day thank you to Bob at Acme-Zoom for helping with the Mule Pack panniers. These things are freaking indestructible.
    I’ve owned nice aluminum panniers.
    I know what happens when you fall, crash, bump into shit hard, get your leg trapped under one....and none of it’s good.
    Mule Packs deliver. What they may lack in high-end features, they also lack the associated high-end cost and (again) foibles of aluminium construction.
    I cannot image a single situation that would breach them. Like a red-headed step child of an aluminum bag and a Wolfman soft bag. Anyways, I digress.

Lots of other small tweaks really turned it into something special. I’m lucky that the DR community here is so deep and wide. Huge thanks to (@BergDonk) and (@rtwpaul) and others here and elsewhere in the ADV community for their help with the build and revisions.
  17. Tagman

Tagman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And now back to our featured program
    DMCaton and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  18. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Darn, you'll hafta beach in El Salvador on the way back!!!

Clean your windscreen...
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  19. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Don’t forget to clean your windscreen.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Not sure I get the reference. Oh that’s right. You’re reminding me lol
    I did clean it. Needed it clean for stickers.

So....I’m officially in Central America!!

Left Chetumal kinda earlier than my norm, wanting to take care of a few things before the Belize border:

Fill my tank (gas is over $6/gallon in Belize, more than double Mexico)

Get some pesos from an ATM (changed some into Belize dollars at the border)

Get a few liters of water.

Then it was off to Belice Frontera (that’s the way it’s spelled in Spanish)

Stopped at the Mexican side to take care of two things:

Get the exit stamp on my passport

Turn in my TVIP (temporary vehicle import permit) for the $400 refund to my CC. I had to remove the fairing on Sunny for the woman there to be able to see and photograph the VIN on Sunny.

Then across the bridge in no-mans land to Belize.

There I first had to pay $20peso for the bike to be fumigated, then into the Immigration and Customs office.

There I got:

Entry stamp on Passport after filling out visa application card

Then I imported the bike using the title, registration and my license.

Once that was done, across the street is the Insurance house. I had to pay $40 peso for a week’s insurance, and put their sticker on my windscreen.

Then through the gate into Belize, where I had to show them all the docs.

Took about 45 minutes. Not too bad, and as English is the official language of Belize, a good learning experience for all the other borders to come on this grand journey.

No pics. Sorry. I started three times to take pics of each step, but was quickly shut down by border officers.

This Airbnb place is different. Literally a bedroom in my host’s home where he and his two children live.

After a nap, it’s a walk to the ocean and find food. Pics to come!