Cycle South 2019 la segunda parte. From Ohio to Ushuaia (now in Panama)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you need to take break, hang out in front of the Airco! Next time find some shade to work on the bike.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love you guys!
    roadcapDen likes this.
  3. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Always great reading about your Travails O_D!!
    Pollo Campero is also a great fried chicken chain in El Sal.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  4. powderpig

powderpig Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dan...really enjoying your thread, the pictures, the writing. Like many, it's unlikely I'll ever make that kind of trip so it's fun living vicariously through yours!

Please be careful with your hydration in these hot, humid climates. Judging from your description, you were close to suffering from sun stroke which is not something to be taken lightly. I would encourage you to keep a hydration bladder in your tank bag and use it to constantly sip water during your journeys. Many people make the mistake of thinking they can stop, drink a bottle of water to hydrate and be ok. Your body cannot absorb water that quickly and most of what you drink in a short period of time just ends up going right back out. Body hydration is a process that actually takes a couple of days to complete which is why once you get dehydrated, it's very difficult to catch up. Of course, beer and sugary drinks don't help the process and, in fact, work against it. Sipping water all day is the best way to stay ahead of the curve.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to keep us on the trip with you and stay healthy out there!
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Not that I would substitute beer for water, but the old thinking that beer hurts hydration somehow, or is less effective than plain water, is old theory.

https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/hallelujah-beer-hydrates-better-than-water
    Joris van O, CBBaron, Grynch and 2 others like this.
  6. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Joris van O, steved57, Grynch and 2 others like this.
  7. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    CBBaron and ScotsFire like this.
  8. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Damn! I should be one of the most hydrated people around!
    steved57 likes this.
  9. powderpig

powderpig Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a beer lover, this is great news, but I would point out the last lines of the study said: "This of course doesn't mean anything for hydration outside of strenuous exercise..." I don't know that I could categorize riding a motorcycle as strenuous exercise and not sure I would put all my trust and health in one study of 25 participants. It also begs the question of how dehydrated the participants were when the study started and at the end of their hiking activity. More questions than answers in my mind.

Would love to discuss over a beer...:-)
  10. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Gotta emphasize what the inmates are saying vis a vis Sunstroke. We're Northerners, we don't deal very well at all with that kind of heat. Throw a Salvadoran into an Ohio winter and they'll fare worse. There's going to be a lot more where you're going, unless you hit the highlands.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  11. 2talltim

2talltim Resident MacGyver

Oddometer:
    Looks like today's boarder crossing was successful! Looks to have taken about 3 hours.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I woke up earlier than normal (6am) and got the bike packed. Said goodbye to Orlando Antonio Castellanos at 7am and hit the road East.

Before crossing the Nicaragua border it climbed to over 3000 ft and was lush alpine-looking mountains around. Temp dropped to a decent level. Glad I picked this crossing and the one closer to the coast is lower and hot.

Got to the border checkpoint right at 9:05.

Was prepared. Was organized.

Didn’t matter lol. Still took a little over two hours to get through.

I was soooo relieved to be riding away from there into the Nicaragua highlands.

Rolling mountains, also lush green.

Stray horses and cattle everywhere.

Plenty of small motorcycles on the roads. Lots of trucks with high sideboards in the back, carrying:

People

Cattle

Horses

People with cattle

And every possible iteration you can imagine.

Road conditions aren’t bad though. Not compared to MX, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador or Honduras.

Not long after pulled into Esteli.

Instructions/directions from the Airbnb host were awful. But I made it

Getting IN to the place though.....

I’ve read all the moto traveler’s stories about being asked or directed to park your bike in odd places.

In Mexico, numbers of times I rode right through the front doors into a lobby and parked, or down the hallway right past people eating etc and parked.

Whatever makes the customer feel secure and happy they allow.

When I got to Luna International Hostal in Esteli Nicaragua, when I asked where do I park, she motioned right at an area outside my room, right next to the comidor (restaurant)

I looked at the doorway to the street and saw three steep steps leading in.

And on top of that, a sharp high curb.

When I said “how?!?” She pulled out an 8” wide plank and laid it down over the steps.

I stood on it and it flexed a LOT.

Looked at her and said no bueno.

She came back a minute later with a much thicker board, same length.

I ride the bike over and clutched the front wheel up over the curb.

Before the rear wheel could climb the curb the front tire was on the boards leading edge already.

As the two girls held the iron gate aside, I freaking punched it and ride Sunny right up the board, and right into a red velvet couch sitting there lol.

Put the side stand down, got off and proceeded to remove my side luggage so she would clear the furniture.

Rode her another 10 feet and she parked right in front of my door.

Whew.

Shower wasn’t bad. Bed’s ok but clean.

So back to the normal routine.

Eat, decide where to stop tomorrow (capital Managua?) and send out a few Airbnb requests.
  13. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    My 2 centavos FWIW....don't go to Managua
    Head to Colorful Colonial town of Granada....
    elron likes this.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    At some time I may arrive in the 21rst century and look at air B&B but for now I still use cheap hotels that always have moto parking without the drama of riding up steps through narrow door ways.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Air BnB is hit and miss for sure.
    I've used them alot along with hotels.

Getting instructions how to get to and in to your place can be a real mess at times vs rolling up to a hotel.

For the same hotel $ you can get some great places however but often for secure moto parking, hotels often offer a better lobby solution.

For longer term rentals where you want a kitchen, AirBnB is golden. I have friends who travel the world, 1 month at a time, via AirBnB.

For 1 week stays at different cities in Mexico & CA, AirBnB could work well.
    For quick 1 night stays on the fly, local hotels are golden.

Another downside to AirBnB can be you are not meeting other travelers, like at a hotel.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Arrived safely in Granada Nicaragua.

After my typical breakfast lately of yogurt and bananas, I deftly maneuvered Sunny down the wooden plank onto the street.

Thank God I choose a motorcycle with long travel suspension and high ground clearance! It’d be nigh impossible to go some of the places I have with a lower bike.

Then exited Esteli in light (ish) morning traffic, back onto the Pan American Highway (here called NIC-1) and first found a tienda selling water.

Then hit the road, doing the ballet dance through and around slow traffic.

All the while slowly descending from 3000 ft to around sea level.

So much of Nicaragua that I’ve seen is a veritable tunnel of green, with ancient trees lining both sides of the road in many places.

When you can see the horizon, it’s a jumbled mass of thickly lush green mountains. A few were extinct volcanoes. Beautiful!

And so many horses loose on the side of the road. No tether and stake like Mexico. No, these were just hanging out, eating, mating, rolling on their backs in the grass, it was awesome to see.

I’m also seeing an increasing number of small carts pulled by oxen, horse and burros.

Along with them are also more and more three-wheeled bicycles, with two wheels in front and a canopy. Carrying:

People

Produce

Propane bottles

Building materials

You name it!

They must have low gearing. One long stretch of road was open on the sides and very windy. Windy enough for me to slow down, drop a gear and pick my lines through the turns carefully as the wind could shift my location by several feet suddenly. And there they were, the cargo bikes, chugging along. And a lot of the riders weren’t spring chickens!

Today also saw the first use of speed radar since the US.

An oncoming car flashed his brights.

Not associating the flash with radar, I figured he was bothered by my main and auxiliary headlights being on, both crazy bright LED units.

So I turned of my auxiliary light and flashed him back.

Just then an oncoming motorcycle made the universal hand gesture for “slow down” (left hand out, palm down, raising and lowering the hand) so I got back into my lane (was passing a long line of chicken busses and trucks) and slowed down to the speed limit.

Just then passed two Policia standing under a shade tree. One standing next to what I think was a Suzuki DL650 Veestrom ( a big bike down here) and the other holding out a radar gun.

Whew...rolled past them right at the speed limit.

That happened three more times on the short section of NIC-1. Flashed brights, slow. Wave at the policeman.

Finally arrived at the address the Airbnb host listed for the place.

Wrong place. But the owner there knew where it was and set me straight.

Got to the correct Hostal, and again, up over a big rock against the curb and right into their lobby!

This place has a nice restaurant and micro beers from Nicaragua. Will give it a test after a nap.

Sunny seems to be running well, and the repair is holding up!
    mrfishingrod likes this.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Be aware that the further South you go, the more Airbnb is utilized to book rooms and beds in Hostals and hotels/motels.
    It’s really just a tool for searching/booking/paying in my experience
    eakins likes this.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Got ya.
    As in you can't just roll up to those same places and pay on the fly?
    AirBnB surely gets their pound of flesh for the transaction.

Are you using any of the hostal web pages or booking.com or does AirBnB provide the most options all in one place?

I've had a few check-ins that sucked in the past to have pause about using it on.the fly when traveling.
  19. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen cause for Air BnB yet. I'm alone and don't need a kitchen. I'm also now too old and tired to crawl around on my hands and knees in and out of a tent - often in lousy weather in the dark. Hostels International is my method mostly now. I've had a lifetime membership for years and many have private rooms and include breakfast.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  20. panchogarrancho

panchogarrancho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don’t miss Apoyo lake,15 min from Granada,it’s volcanic crater that filled with water 1 million years ago
    Ohio_Danimal and Jay_In_Milpitas like this.