Cycle South 2019 la segunda parte. From Ohio to Ushuaia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    That looks really good! Not so great for stealth camping though!
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried

Oddometer:
    My days of stealth camping are mostly behind me, and I agree. There’s always a lightweight camo net. Worked well in the past.
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    6D6D0705-7507-4378-BC9E-743E46515B04.jpeg 6DBF0598-E10F-4D23-9ADD-717CBC768FE6.jpeg 2E5B80AA-A480-4EBA-A0EB-7FA82FF6639C.jpeg Today I sold the BMW Rally Pro 2 jacket that I wore on the journey last year. Well worn, but not torn. Gave my friend Jeff a great deal, and we’re both happy. Perfect fit with his new KLR.
    Like seeing an old friend go.
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    76D5C7CF-1F6A-472B-A14C-91A262294A26.jpeg C9DD8B57-D7CE-4D49-8292-C3829BD7B25B.jpeg Feeling very much like I had neglected her, simply parking her dirty and wet in Ed’s garage last November upon my return to Ohio, I approached her slowly and deliberately, as to not spook her or even give her reason to be immediately angry.
    Sunny responded well. She sat at attention while I cleaned the workspace around her.
    I opened both petcocks, pulled the choke out, turned her on and thumbed the starter.
    Not much coughing and she rumbled to life, even taking throttle well, and an even idle once warmed.
    Ahhhhh
    Now the work begins. Glad she’s not pissed and wants to be freshened up a bit.
    Sunday Rider and Pete S like this.
  5. Pete S

Pete S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't sure what I thought of the front fairing from your initial photos, but it looks fantastic on there. Nice job!

I must say, I'm a bit jealous of the life you've made for yourself. I could do the same. The only thing stopping me, is... well, me. I've got a decent job and my 12 holidays, 22 days of PTO per year and some comp days sprinkled in, is better than most people get, but it's just not enough to do the traveling that I want to do. I just started riding a year and a half ago and now at age 53, realize that there's a lot of places that I want to explore. I'm looking forward to part 2 of your adventure.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pete but also realize this: I’m blowing the wad so to speak to do this journey. I quit a very viable job.
    I’ll arrive back at my Father’s house, grab my old room and have to go back to work for a few years until “official “ retirement age. I’ll be 59 in June, and probably 60 upon my return.
    I’m not complaining though. It’s what I’ve always wanted to do.
    Just saying....most could make it happen if they went all-in (family responsibilities aside)
  7. Pete S

Pete S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I fully realize that there are downsides to quitting the workforce to do it. In fact, I did very well financially for many years working for the consulting services groups for a couple software companies, then got out of doing that for about a decade. It's been surprisingly difficult to get back even remotely close to where I was then. Even after getting a large raise recently, I'm still making less than I was in 1997. Maybe I should try to work out an extra 2-4 weeks of unpaid leave.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I quit measuring things long ago as I struggled to pay out of the debt-hole a long divorce/custody battle put me in.
    With my Son doing well in Grad school and carrying carrying zero debt while doing so, I feel like I’ve done my job and can stop trying to fit the mold of where I should be right now financially.
    If you can:
    Scratch together $35k
    Have a bike and gear needed
    Are healthy enough to do it,

Then you can just pick up the pieces and go back to your “routine “ when you get home.

You’re more than welcome to join me!
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
  10. Pete S

Pete S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Even after getting divorced, I'm in better shape financially than most people my age. I'm sorry your divorce was such an ordeal, mine couldn't have been much easier. Money, the bike, gear and my health aren't an issue. It's a matter of making the decision to do it, along with selling a bunch of stuff, and getting my house ready to rent or sell.

Taking the plunge to do something like you are is unlike anything I've ever done. It would be a huge leap for me, but one I can make. I read all of these great ride reports and think to myself "I want to do this." It's up to me to put the gears in motion.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    If you’ve enjoyed my musings so far, I truly appreciate you taking the time to follow along. Hopefully la segunda parte will keep you interested!
  12. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:

My .02: How long do you think you'll live? If I didn't have a 15 year old to care for I'd sell everything and go on my trip. Just go man.
    Ohio_Danimal, Cro59 and Pete S like this.
  13. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I split the difference age wise between Dan and Pete. Estranged rather than divorced. At this point, I am working for flexibility and options. I am not willing to end the trip with an empty bank account because I refuse to be tied to a job I don't want at 60. Dan is ballsier than me in that regard. I decided to take a well paying job with less than desirable conditions up front so I'd have more flexibility later. While I could go now, working for another year to eighteen months gives me a measure of financial independence. Of course, I could be dead in eighteen months, but we all have to work the calculations so they make the most sense for us.
    ScotsFire and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  14. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Dan,
    Glad to see you back in the fight. I've been following in the background. Cheers on the medical clearance and colonic green light, so to speak.

Looking forward to the pleasure of following your RR.

Tech question...I'm gonna start a DR650 build in the near future...your fairing is Yenkro if memory serves, but what about the clear visor/shield mounted atop...is that Yenkro also....Madstad? ..... just wondering....
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    824BBEA6-8CA4-40EE-83AA-CFDC256D7831.jpeg 2A08C25C-E72E-4BDA-B6D6-D63EA24B9AE2.jpeg 52E75D35-99FA-4A98-A73C-20A4AFC62711.jpeg EA3ACBC9-FD86-4D0E-9A87-A87C843A332B.jpeg
    Yenkro offers a fairing with no windscreen or mine, with adjustable windscreen.
    Plus on top I have a Chinese $20 adjustable deflector added. Works so well! Thanks for following along.
    Worked most of the day on Sunny. Got a LOT done!

Seat off

Gas tank off

Side panels off

Carb removed, opened and pilot jet cleaned (was a bit dirty) and reinstalled.

Put motor at TDC and pulled a plug.

Opened valve covers and checked valve clearances. Intake were perfect. Exhaust were a bit tight. Now perfect.

Pulled exhaust header pipe.

Pulled cam chain tensioner.

Removed starter motor, cleaned brushes and replaced end cap with Warp9 cap with sealed bearing. Reinstalled starter, cam chain tensioner( new gasket. Getting old gasket off sucked).

Need to get new header gasket for exhaust pipe. Old one’s fubared.

Removed broken rear top rack. Started transferring the GIVI luggage mounts to a new rack, just to find it doesn’t fit quite right and needs dremel work.

Lots more to do, but a good portion of the “problems” have been addressed.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    50488A22-8F1D-4D08-90B1-11AD11BC9439.jpeg 84D6D937-EAF3-49A9-9D6E-0C2306E7CBC4.jpeg DA0BF777-E903-4D8C-8EE6-06E2E0997ADA.jpeg 8F05F63F-6AC0-4E79-A608-0799A70D0F7E.jpeg More progress on Sunny today (thanks @Nebbors for use of the garage space!)
    Picked up the exhaust crush gasket at the local Suzuki dealer and installed the header pipe. So the exhaust is on nice and snug and all aligned nicely.
    Then I installed the lower crash cage that was supplied to me by @Dirtracks out of Canada.
    Their lower cage is very nicely made, and it allowed me to remove the two smaller cages that were bolted onto my skid plate. You should check out their other stuff. Heavy duty, great wrinkle powder coat paint and sold for lower prices than the big name racks. I sure do appreciate their support and will update more after some miles on the bike.
    Here’s a link to their site!
    https://www.dirtracks.com/

This system will allow oil filter change without cage removal. AND.....now I have a perfect spot to mount the badass Touratech highway pegs I got from a breaker on EBay for $25!! They’re like new.
    Then I installed the new rear rack for my Givi top case. Am hoping this one holds up. Last one was aluminum and cracked in two spots. This rack’s steel so we’ll see (and it’s yellow lol!)
    Tomorrow I degrease the motor and reassemble the bike. Need to ride it after degreasing to find the location of a top-end oil leak.
    Jay_In_Milpitas likes this.
  17. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Wait, that implies that there are actual brick and mortar places that you can walk in to? And they have stuff that you can walk out with?
    Bezos should jump on that concept!
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Swear to you that this dealership sucks. This might be the first time they had anything I needed in stock, aside from maybe a drain plug crush washer or maybe spark plugs. The parts counter person even said “I’m surprised we had it in stock”
    When I asked about a Cam bore plug (for the possible removal/clean/reseal I may need to do to the rocker cover to stop an oil leak) no such luck. One week, and quoted $3.00 higher than an online price. It’s no wonder they’re suffering.
    All the knowledgeable folks are out riding!
  19. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    That's why I chuckle when folks knock CSC bikes when they say "You can't just get parts from a local dealer".
    Before retiring 2 years ago, brother-in-law told me the shop he wrenched at had sold a new bike to a customer but had to delay him taking possession of the bike. They had been selling batteries to parts customers and now were missing ones for the showroom bikes.
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  20. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    After you degrease the engine, if you still can't find the leak, try throwing some baby powder on it, that leak will show up. God awful mess to clean, but it does the trick.