Cycle South 2019 la segunda parte. From Ohio to Ushuaia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried

Oddometer:
    I think I'd need a beefier bike for pulling a trailer. I could be wrong though :)

Rode all day through rain and low 50's temps. Not real fun but a good early test of the untested gear (to me) I'm using on the trip. No rainsuit this time.
    Klim Badlands jacket I can now attest IS waterproof when all zipped up. No leaks at all.
    The BMW pants with goretex liner worked and kept me dry too, although the outer pants are wet 9drying in motel now)
    I had to stop for an hour at a Truck Stop and disassemble the bike partly in a shelter area, to determine the cause of the loss of power to my heated jacket liner.
    It was solver and it's working fine now. the damage was done though and it took me a few hours of being in front of the heater in the motel tonight to get the chill off. Could have been worse. Can't recall the last time I rode 9 hours in the rain
    So I downloaded pics from the Nikon, and here are some!

First afternoon out, stopped at Tim Adkins. Got to see Tim, and Becky made Chili. Thanks!
    Me and Tim
    [​IMG]

Ohio farmland
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

at @bikeridermark 's place, where I spent the night
    [​IMG]

Mark on his WR250. We had breakfast and then he rode with me down to the Ohio River, where we parted pays and I continued South
    [​IMG]

Mark
    [​IMG]

@bikeridermark the Horse Thief
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camped out in Jeff Mills' garage (found here on the ADV tent space map)
    [​IMG]

Sunny in TN
    [​IMG]

Followed this a ways to connect to another paved road
    [​IMG]

Sunny in NC
    [​IMG]

some park. Forget the name
    [​IMG]

Sunny being diassembled in the back driveway at Cogent Dynamics. While I took suspension parts out, they rebuilt them (I helped clean parts) and then I reassembled it. I liked seeing the rear shock being rebuilt. I am carrying a rebuild kit, should that be needed in route.
    [​IMG]

Shock going back in
    [​IMG]

fork legs going back in
    [​IMG]

one of my all-time favorite roads, the BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway)...this time most of is was immersed in dense fog. Wet and cold but beautiful nevertheless
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunny in fog
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

brief respite for a snack
    [​IMG]

Had great tacos pollo here
    [​IMG]

Sunny in KY. Note the thoughtful consideration of the bugs to have color-matching yellow guts this day
    [​IMG]

Sunny in MO
    [​IMG]

Friendly cows today in Kansas
    [​IMG]

#22 looks pensive
    [​IMG]

Me and Sunny on Rt66
    [​IMG]

That's it for now!
    Westward ho tomorrow!
  3. 2talltim

2talltim Resident MacGyver

Oddometer:
    ZoSo71, NCJ, MrMac and 2 others like this.
  4. 2talltim

Oddometer:
  5. 2talltim

Oddometer:
  6. Maximus Power

Maximus Power Bubby, you can call me Max

Oddometer:
    Hey dan, did you get this thing on the fleabay? I’m looking at one like it and if you say it’s worthy Ima pull the trigger

Attached Files:

7. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Worth every penny Shawn
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Hola Cycle South readers!

I'm safe and sound in Oro Valley AZ, staying with fellow ADVer @Drybones (John) while preparing for the Mexico border crossing on the 21st.

I've got great wifi here, so I uploaded the Nikon pics and figured I'd update the blog.

Traveling through the four-state corner area towards the Flagstaff AZ area to attend the Overland Expo West brought back memories from the first go-round on Cycle South. Wow is just too short of a word to be continually used, but wow.....the Western US can be breathtaking!

Camp setup somewhere in CO. Nice and cozy....down to about 37 degrees!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snow-capped peaks are everywhere in Colorado!
    [​IMG]

Photo-bombed by a car!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took my time and rode a lot of unpaved tertiary roads as I headed South
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunny in the Sun
    [​IMG]

taking a lunch break by a watertower
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the long way straight
    [​IMG]

Met an overlander while camping, Christy, who is wandering solo with her dog Mr. Coconuts. I continue my bonding exercises with strange dogs to get my canine fix
    Me and Mr. Coconuts
    [​IMG]

Ahhhhh...THERE'S the Rockies!
    [​IMG]

Arrived in Flagstaff a few days earlier than the Overland Expo began, as my bike made the finals in their "Cool Ride" contest, and was to be on display downtown for a party two days before the Expo opened (I didn't win....some Overland Toyota that looked like all the other overland Toyotas won...go figure....I really wanted that $500 prize!)
    Upon arrival, a guy on a BMW GS pulled alongside me and called out "Danimal!...is that you?"
    He lifted his helmet chinbar and man...I thought "I know this guy...but who is he?"
    It was Sam Manicom, world-famous moto-traveler and author of many books (my favorite is "Distant Suns") who recognized ME! I felt so honored. He was such a nice person and we chatted a while. The organizers didn't seem prepared with where early-arrivers for the Cool Ride contest were to camp, so I was told I could camp in the presenter's area with Sam!

Me and Sam!
    [​IMG]

When following him to the camping area, I discpvered that we were set up next to Lisa and Simon Thomas from the 2RidetheWorld fame! This Brit couple has been on the road continually for 13 years!

Sunny parked next to Sam's GS, with Lisa and Simon in the background
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me with Lisa and Simon Thomas!
    [​IMG]

Then I headed to Flagstaff for the Cool Ride contest Wed night
    [​IMG]

At the Cool Ride with another finalist and her Ural sidecar rig
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another finalist, with his Rokon/trailer rig
    [​IMG]

Back at the Expo, I got to meet and have a nice long chat with Paul Stewart (@rtwpaul ) and we had far more in common to discuss about people we've met along the way, which made for a great, entertaining talk. Paul agreed to sign my bike! Paul and Egle showed caring and compassion for me last year when things fell apart that was heartwarming, and I'll never forget.

Paul's badass KTM
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me and Paul
    [​IMG]

Paul signing Sunny
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some pics from OAX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ADV bike rider training
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So...the three nights I camped at OAX were brutal to me. Nightime temps in the low 30's tested the 15 degree BA sleeping bag (it's not good to 15 degrees)
    So when the forecast for the following days was to have temps below freezing and chances that the sprinkles would turn to snow, I left the Expo and headed South towards the Oro Valley near Tuscon, to spend a few days in warmer temps being hosted by John (@Drybones ) who is letting me do the prep before leaving the US.

Pics from the way South from Flagstaff
    Stopped in a shady spot for lunch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Approaching the Roosevelt Dam on the Salt River. I rode the entire Apache Trail including the 34 miles offroad section. Aside from some deep sand in a few sections and the terrible washboard surface, it was thrilling! The views spectacular!

[​IMG]

back of the dam
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For your Desktop!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now!
    Credit/debit card companies have been called
    TVIP reimbursement from last exit confirmed
    moto-insurance for MX confirmed
    time to relax a bit

Till later
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow 54 pages in a month! Just found your report from your question on the Is Mexico Safe thread. Following along!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  10. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    "Wow is just too short of a word to be continually used, but wow.....the Western US can be breathtaking!"

There is so much variety in N. America, even just within USA, that an active adventurer would need years to get it all.
    Your long straight pictures will hopefully help the unknowing why the Great Plains were so named. And once they were thick with bison, antelope, and so much other game.

As I type this we are having thunder + lightening + hail + rainnnnnnnnn. Water in the street in front of our house is above the curb because the storm drains can't keep up.
    Happy travels.
  11. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Way to stay flexible Dan....got to move with the vibe flow ...great pics...down the road you go....
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly mi amigo, you signed Sunny’s tank “send water. Jay In Milpitas “
    Well.....here I am buddy!!
    Jay_In_Milpitas likes this.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cal. Honored
    Cal likes this.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    597061F5-2919-452D-9D7E-84CD1960A897.jpeg AB8A3644-6059-439C-80A8-65CA6FC9C2EB.jpeg 012406D8-2328-4751-886A-EBC3582E9201.jpeg 7A8CCC51-9208-471A-AFC9-DF6006AFEC33.jpeg If anyone has been wondering, my SPOT tracking device has been turned off for the last several days while I was stationary in Oro Valley AZ staying at a friend John (@Drybones )house, preparing for the Mexico border crossing tomorrow at Agua Prieta.

It will be back on tomorrow early so you can track my progress!

I’ll be travelling tomorrow with dos personas from ADV Rider (@MAXVERT and @noshoes )and will be staying in a motel in Banamichi Sonora Mexico at the end of the day.

Also did some needed maintenance on Sunny. Cleaned and oiled the air filter (was needed from riding dusty roads) cleaned and lubed the chain, cleaned and organized my load, did laundry and checked all my documents for the border crossing.

Also....after @rtwpaul and I spoke at OX about my schedule, he suggested that my idea of changing the date I needed to be in Carti Panama to meet the Stahlratte from June 25 to July 20 was a good idea.
    Stupid to be in a hurry and try to make Mexico and all of CA in less than five weeks. Now I can relax and visit friends in San Miguel de Allende and Salina Cruz along my way.
    I already emailed Capt. Ludwig and got his ok.
    I went for a hike today in the Big Wash Trail area. Lots of cacti blooming
    ZoSo71, TropicalDale, Cal and 4 others like this.
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Say hello to Max and Neil and see if they will take you to El Mago for a steak.....great steak house in AP
    MAXVERT likes this.
  16. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    El Mago is closed on Tuesdays. :(
    Cal likes this.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yo soy en Mexico!

A huge thanks to @Drybones for his hospitality and positive vibes. My stay with John was productive in many ways. Great guy!
    And thanks to @MAXVERT and @noshoes for their patience waiting for me at the Aduena while I worked out an issue with my insurance. Aside from that the border crossing was easy at Agua Prieta.
    Rode about 30 miles of dirt today through AZ towards the border with Max and John. Great fun.
    Then lunch at a restaurant in Agua Prieta before Max and I rode the 140 miles South to Banamichi where we have a room.
    Now with Max’s help and his friend Tom’s help (Tom owns the Hotel Los Arcos) I’m planning the next 7 days ride, ending at San Miguel de Allende, where I’ll visit friends.

“Fork?!?!”
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot that they ask for proof of insurance in your home country now? Is that right?
    noshoes likes this.
  19. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    Yea they do. Don't seem to give a shit about MX insurance, but they want home country. Weird.
    Cal likes this.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    And all I had was the electronic copy Geico sent me, which they wouldn’t honor.
    I paid them $5 to use their laptop. Pulled up the email with the attached file and printed it out.
    And yeah....when I showed him my Mexican insurance policy, he said he didn’t want to see it. (??)

Es Mexico
    Cal and noshoes like this.