Cycle South 2019 la segunda parte. From Ohio to Ushuaia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    Hope you stay reasonably dry! Good luck!
  2. 2talltim

2talltim Resident MacGyver

Oddometer:
    My weekend riding at the gap is looking to be the same. :(
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried

Oddometer:
    It’s
    I knew what I was getting into. Short Gap trips leave little time to relax.
    What a ride today. Started in a downpour right as I left San Miguel. Continued unabated until I approached a Pueblo Magico en route (Bernal) and the skies cleared.

From there it climbed to 9000 ft in the Sierra Gorda mountain range.

Twisty as hell, mixed from rough to smooth pavement but pretty smooth sailing.

I stopped to fill up along the way and bought a rack of wheat crackers and stopped and munched a bunch with some peanut butter. Yum!

Finally stopped at my desired destination, an Airbnb place in Xilitla.

What the maps don’t show (but I quickly remembered from riding Xilitla last year) was the vast elevation changes in town. Steeeeep cobblestones. Narrow old streets.

Pulled up to where Google Maps said it was and a cheerful woman stepped out of a small tienda and said “Daniel?”

So a quick tour of the place, unloaded my clothes and stuff, and took a shower. Not very hot (one of the sketchy electric heaters right on the shower head) but the cool water felt great once I adjusted.

Now to change into shorts and sandals and walk to Centro and find a meal and a beer.

One of the Airbnb reviews of Brenda’s apartment was negative because of the loud roosters in the early Am.

Gotta say....it’s four in the afternoon and the son of a bitches are crowing away as I type.

Luckily I sleep like the dead lol

Thanks again Geoff 0107D802-288B-4C90-AEC9-6329ADB05A78.jpeg B4AB3EA0-7312-4926-954E-7069CD835654.jpeg and Birdie. You’re the best!
  4. HG HG

HG HG n00b

Oddometer:
    RIDE ON....
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  5. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dan, great info, pictures and thoughts. Thank you for taking the time to report your travels!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    3AFE8B22-611D-4DDA-BCBC-A0CCA04F2C40.jpeg A3DDC5F1-A36C-4BA9-BC19-31285606F7B2.jpeg E07A1BD2-D993-42A2-A06E-7355DC5CCB7C.jpeg So I got up early today, figured out how to get warm water from the suicide shower head, and packed some water, my camera and a power bank and hailed a cab for the short drive to Edward James’ sun-tropical garden “Los Pozas” (The Pools) for a look-see.
    The cab was 50p
    Entrance to the grounds was 100p
    And man....it was so damn hot and muggy, especially after last night’s heavy showers (it IS a rain forest area after all). Unlike last year, there was no line, and I had the place to myself mostly. Sooooo many winding paths and staircases. All slick stone/concrete and few with handrails. Was very unnerving at times. Several times I got lost and somehow ended up in closed construction/renovation areas.
    A LOT of the sculptures with Escher-like twisted staircases were totally closed. I’m sure plenty have been seriously hurt.
    After I was done, another cab back to el Centro and I found a meal. And it was good sayeth me.
    Then back to the room for another shower, clothes washed in the sink and hanging up dry on the roof (where I now sit, taking pictures of birds, sipping Indio and just finished perhaps the tastiest melon I’ve ever had.
    Leaving tomorrow AM for Pachuca, where I have a nice new apt. rented for $10/night.
    There’s more pics of Los Pozas on my FB page BTW. No wifi here at my room, so limited ability to post lots of pics
    Pete S, BillUA, Drybones and 9 others like this.
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    37AC5F79-FFFC-44C3-91EE-5B4775A86725.jpeg C24638E5-96C4-4B09-A05F-20AAE587B447.jpeg 132AFFF9-2C7E-4411-B0AD-F2A21F7A9964.jpeg BC8DECD4-002C-4C79-B8D9-D8915241779D.jpeg To those following along, I apologize for not keeping up with the daily grind of a bunch of pictures, witty commentary, biting critical analysis and such.
    Truth is, keeping this updated daily isn’t easy, especially if I want the better pictures up. Add to the mess intermittent wifi, cell signal, whatever.
    So another day of crazy winding mountain passes. Up and down. Cool and hot. Rough and smooth.
    And a million-tope day to boot.
    Enjoyed some of the larger ones. If there was only video!
    Arrived at Pachuca, found the Airbnb apartment and it was upstairs of a tienda. Rode Sunny right into the store and into a back room for storage. Wild!
    So had the best Tacos al Pastor of this trip. Beers and tequila now. Then back to the apartment.
    Adios mi amigos
    roadcapDen, UMG, scout68 and 12 others like this.
  8. FireDog45

FireDog45 Knockin' on retirement's door

Oddometer:
    Don’t fret over updating, this is supposed to be enjoyable! Ride safe and check in when you can.
    Rudderfeet, NCJ, SLUGGO and 3 others like this.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Pics from Los Pozas

814B533A-2AC4-414C-AAA6-2FB6D1089338.jpeg 3C34586A-A421-410F-9F9B-D76608F6CE8F.jpeg 368FD812-6B03-48A7-8987-363DCCE3757C.jpeg D9A4422D-49FF-45D4-8D87-DC5315E2F876.jpeg
    RedHawk47, Rudderfeet, Pete S and 6 others like this.
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. Helps hearing it ya know?
  14. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you planning on going to/through Mexico City?
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice photo eye you have.
  16. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying your Take Two of going south. The writing and pictures are so enjoyable as is your interaction with fellow riders and locals you meet. Ride safe and rest, and if you have time, an update is nice. Thanks for sharing your ride.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    No sir. Not this time. Rode around there last Summer. Too many people.
    And got shaken down for a bribe by Policia on the cueto going through town.
    Today rode around there AND Puebla, ending up in Orabiza where I am now, fresh shower. Nice apartment. Heading out to sightsee and eat shortly.
    Google Maps took me the last 40 miles to Orizaba through a narrow single lane (mostly) paved road through vast farmlands with giant agave plants. Lots of miles and horses and cows everywhere. The road was so narrow that it kept speed down. A million topes, but I’m used to that already.
    It really was one of the nicest 40 miles of the trip. Most of the “villages “ I rode through weren’t even named in the map. Very few odd or angry looks. A lot of smiles and waves.
    Just when I thought I’d seen it all.
    And with giant volcanoes in the background.

Thanks Cal. I’ve been told I compose pictures well for years. I probably should have learned more about the art of the picture itself, but my Nikon B-500 shoots so well that I’m more than happy with the results.
    Glad you’re enjoying them!
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I'm regretting not jumping on the bike and riding out with you. I guess I should have taken that fork?! in the road.
    Tricepilot, Ohio_Danimal and Cal like this.
  19. Tagman

Tagman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Dan I think you've got it now. Everyday has that new experience just waiting to show up if you slow down and let it. The destination is cool but the trip is what it's all about. Enjoy every day.
    Ohio_Danimal and Cal like this.
  20. Tagman

Tagman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was that the right fork?! or the left fork?!
    Turkeycreek likes this.