Cycle South 2019 la segunda parte. From Ohio to Ushuaia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried

Oddometer:
    Thanks John. Am enjoying the last nubbins tonight after more tacos al Pastor (these had pineapple in them?...WOW) and a stop in a local mezcaleria, who gave me two on the house because, when I was asked about TOC, simply said "Trump?...es no bueno!" lol
    I left before the Karayoke started, because all HELL would have broken loose if those Orizabians heard me singing Alice in Chains, or even Bob Marley for that matter.
    I'll be stationary once in Oaxaca City, so assuming the wifi is good, I'll have time to upload some pics.
    Later will post some cell pics from the cable-car ride I took today to the mountain top and back
    mrfishingrod and Tagman like this.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    "fork?!?!"
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I would have enjoyed your company. I'll be in Oaxaca City and Salina Cruz a while if'n you change yer mind
    Turkeycreek likes this.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thanks SR...seeing comments from folks that have followed along really helps make the effort worthwhile
  5. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dan,
    Not sure if you remember us touching base via this forum when you were ill on Parte Uno......but I’m still following. Honestly man, I’m simply enjoying the fact that you seem to be enjoying this so much more and staying healthy...you got your ass kicked the first time...sucked it up...went back home and regrouped ....and now you are still on the journey, and all that damn regroup time seems like it’s paying off.

For my part, a pic every now and then of Sunny on a mountain or in a town square or something is just gravy on this biscuit ...we can google pics of all the mountains, flowers, and stuff whenever we’re board as hell. It’s your recollections of a ride or a town or some ijo de puta shakedown you made it through that makes this a cool deal......

Enjoy your trip, ride safe, and update the rest of us office-chained knuckleheads when you can. Glad to see you doing this brother.

Incidentally, and this is crazy.....but I just met with the family of one of my patients dying of esophageal cancer....when I asked his dear wife where they were from....she said “Oaxaca.” I sh&@!t you not.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    90B680D0-DF6C-41D1-B967-75C20947FF46.jpeg 48787F87-06AC-472E-AE23-B9E272EFFA60.jpeg 7DD628E0-2F87-4BE7-B8F9-EDEEC084145E.jpeg 5C14F445-DB2C-4C1D-BD18-028B8396AADE.jpeg
    I do remember.
    And your thoughts moved me.
    Thanks. I’m really trying a different tact on this voyage. And I appreciate the added wind my friend. And the foresail isn’t even unfurled yet.
    NCJ, ScotsFire, SlipChip and 6 others like this.
  7. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    You might contact Red Bull to see if they would like to use that last selfie in an ad. ;)
    Ohio_Danimal and powderzone like this.
  8. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lol. Not sure that RedBull is looking to change their tag line to “Burrito...gives you wings”.
    Ohio_Danimal and noshoes like this.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    7D748263-27F5-4E26-87D5-FC59D977C013.jpeg BE4F1697-D1B4-42D4-9E22-0F95B0042679.jpeg 6C3233AC-12AF-498C-A1A2-4C1546FF1C30.jpeg D0A05548-55CB-44E4-BEDB-394F50D470E0.jpeg I’ve arrived safely in Oaxaca City, capital of Oaxaca State.

This Airbnb is the best so far.

Clean, nicely decorated and comfy. Even has a nice fan.

Today’s 6-1/2hr ride was exhausting.

At first, heading South out of Orizaba I was amazed at the numbers of motorcycle groups heading North. Packs of them. And mixed in with the usual Italika FT150’s were full tilt sport bikes, big ADV bikes, lots and lots of bikes. And they all waved. They were like “where yah going? Wrong way!”

The roads were rough and slow at first, winding through a million villages. Tope after tope (Sunny caught air many times today lol. There’s usually folks standing near topes on the side of the road selling food, whatever, and they were amused all day as I barely slowed, stood, weaved around traffic, dropped a gear and then whacked the throttle right as the front wheel ramped up the tope. Not once did I bottom out) and rough roads and lotsa loose cattle and horses and donkeys helped me keep the speed down.

Even when leaving a tope zone and exiting a town, you could never tell when the road would suddenly turn to solid dirt and rock for 1/2 mile.

Then right as I couldn’t bear the heat anymore, slowly climbed up another mountain range to 7-9000 ft and much cooler temps.

I passed some Mayan ruins. Gate was closed and the sign said a dig was in process.

Shortly thereafter I passed a Nature Preserve where green maccaws live. It was also closed.

Nicest moment of the day.

Pulled into a run-down tienda in the middle of nowhere. I was having issues with yawning. I felt sleepy. Soooo many days at altitude is getting to me.

I went in wearing all my gear. I grabbed a little 8oz can of Red Cola from their cooler.

Just then a VERY old man pulled up on a hobbled-together bicycle.

He bought a yogurt drink and sat next to me.

I was able to hold a rudimentary conversation! We were both drenched in sweat. “Muy caliente “ he said.

I had just guzzled half of the soda. It was sooooi good.

As I turned to reply, a huge belch slipped out of me.

He laughed. I laughed. He burped and slapped me on the shoulder shook my hand. Got back on his bicycle and rode off.

Sounds like a storm is brewing. Loud thunder.

Gonna go cover Sunny up.

Later!

(Pics are from a roadside brunch Inhad outside Orizaba. Some kind of soup with beef bones. Little meat. Garbanzo beans. Tortillas. Fresh squeezed OJ)
    ScotsFire, Blumtnman, Cal and 12 others like this.
  10. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, you have covered a lot of ground since we talked three weeks ago at Overland Expo. I was on the road for two weeks without internet and am still playing "catch up".
    You photos of Batoplias brought back memories; I made two trips there in 2007. The road was not paved them; a typical American would have called it a jeep road, but the locals drove everything on it including large sedans. They probably widened the roadway when they paved it which would explain all the rocks on the road; the road cuts are settling in. The men you photographed with the single color "blouses" and the white "skirts" are Tarahumara, the local natives. I was amazed at how clean their clothing was; most lived "out in the woods" in basic shelters.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've certainly made some progress!
    Plan is to cross into Beliz June 25th, so I still have time to visit friends in Salina Cruz, as well as spend a few days in San Jose del Pacifico (again) and unwind. Texmezcal, etc.

Here's some pics I uploaded from the Nikon from the last several days riding

another beautiful church, in Orizaba, as a storm approaches
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't do eeeet! (j/k)
    [​IMG]

Awesome mural in Orizaba
    [​IMG]

Luche Libre stuff in a bar
    [​IMG]

Custom car shop had it's doors open
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My new sandals!
    [​IMG]

This grandma's granddaughter was intentionally swinging this bridge across the river in the park/zoo. Wanted to kick the kid's ass. Grandma was not happy. Thankfully her grandson held her firm
    [​IMG]

Fort on top of the mountain outside Orizaba where the French attacked and killed a lot of Mexican soldiers. Took the cable car up to the park
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Panorama from the park
    [​IMG]

I stayed in Hiovanni's apartment in Orizaba (AirBnb) Great guy!
    [​IMG]

Hiovanni's store. The apartments are above
    [​IMG]

On the way out of Orizaba this morning, en route to Oaxaca, stopped for a break next to a lime orchard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Maccaw sanctuary was closed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another break, up around 9000 ft
    [​IMG]

Pictures don't do the scenery justice
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oaxaca City near my apartment
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. GuyM76

GuyM76 n00b

Oddometer:
    Dan, I'm a random internet stranger to you but just wanted you to know over the past week I've read your whole story of this trip and it's really got my wanderlust tingling. I was disappointed for you when I read about your health problems last year and happy to read you're back on the road and down into Mexico.

Sitting here, looking out of the window at a grey, rainy sky in London, your words and pictures are a tonic.

I get to enjoy your travels vicariously which at the moment (moving house, two youngish children and a business to keep going) is all I can do. One day I will ship my bike to the US and ride all the way down.

Thanks and keep enjoying yourself!

All the best
    Guy.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Guy,
    It’s hard to put into words how much it means to receive feedback like yours.
    Reading blogs on ADV provided me sustenance for many many years and fueled the fire, so I justify the time spent documenting the journey as me giving back a little to the community of like-minded travelers
    Maybe some day I’ll ride the UK!
    Assuming I do end up back on US soil someday, you’re more than welcome to hang out if Ohio is ever on your itinerary
    Briggski, ScotsFire, Pete S and 3 others like this.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    So my mind is made up about what I’m doing later today.
    Luche Libre was on my bucketlist, but sadly there are no events here in the immediate future.
    So, being the baseball fan I am (only sport out there where the game rules and field dimensions were handed down by God. Unlike other sports which adhere to a “clock”, and where the rules are always changing to reflect the bigger, faster athletes, baseball remains as it was...and there are STILL close plays every game) I will be attending a home game tonight of the Oaxaca Warriors, the local pro team. I plan on drinking a bucket of beers and watching the fan’s famous chants!

So I went for a walk this morning to a nearby tienda to get some yogurt for breakfast. Same place I got the litre of Indio last night.
    On the way I stopped at Lula Cafe for a cup of joe. Owned by Lourdes Silva, originally from Peru, she offers insanely good coffee grown in Southern Oaxaca very near San Jose del Pacifico.
    I had forgotten how good coffee can be! By FAR the best of the trip so far. 8395FCC5-5567-45E5-AD67-73A48582748D.jpeg E2473CBB-6661-402D-B851-3E0C6EAD101C.jpeg A9EB2D48-9088-4931-973F-3FD9AE522CFB.jpeg
    And her English was bien! We chatted a long time.
    Now chilling again. Life is rough lol
    powderzone, qman8, Pete S and 4 others like this.
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    To anyone that understands the references to the Manga/anime “One Piece” and how it relates to me, my life, and this journey (I recently received several messages asking me WTF the connection was lol)
    • My bike is named the Thousand Sunny
    • Entering Mexico is the equivalent of Luffy and the Straw hat crew crossing the “Grand Line”
    • Entering South America is the equivalent of Luffy and the Straw hats from entering the “New World”
    • Me getting sick, aborting the trip and heading home to regroup is the equivalent of the “3D2y” time shift in One Piece.
    No, I don’t possess any mutant “Devil Fruit” powers.
    Nor do I battle evil bosses.
    But I relate to the author Oda’s non-stop reinforcement of time-honoured values about friendships, honesty, integrity, moral compass and Luffy’s own insatiable wanderlust, always needing to see what’s over the horizon.

Sorry if this is confusing to some of you lol.
  16. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    totally lost, but carry on! loving the pics and report. my wife is from mexico and shes enjoying following along also!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Understandable. Not too many folks even know what One Piece is, let alone have watched it during it’s 20+ year, 1100+ episode run.

Thanks for following along. Glad you’re enjoying it.
  18. GuyM76

GuyM76 n00b

Oddometer:
    Cheers Dan, Well said. :thumbup:
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  19. brider

brider Long suffering Cub Fan NO MORE!

Oddometer:
    I'm digging on the baseball reference. When I retire in a couple of years I plan to ride to every major league park and many of the minor league ones to see at least 1 game plus I've always wanted to go to the CWS. Enjoy the game!
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    1F34A928-6A37-484D-848A-A26720231C84.jpeg 4E393BC1-A61B-4F51-9E73-2AC0372F7A5C.png
    Thanks.
    My original plan for Cycle South was to include a swing through Venezuela and see all their badass parks.
    Sadly though, that’s looking like a country I won’t be seeing in person.
    Gotta get my fix now lol.
    Attached is 3rd place Puebla taking BP and the current standings in the Mexico League South.
    Oaxaca is in first! Should be a good game
    SLUGGO and noshoes like this.