Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (encalhado em Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great and detailed review Dan. That is a great list and did know the Klim jacket was for all conditions and after all this time on the road, is still waterproof.
  2. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Did you ever get any intel on riding through Venezuela? Be interesting to know what you found out.
  3. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pictures! So the necklace really did happen. Yes, "You are correct, sir." How well I remember.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just that you needed an invite from a Venezuelan citizen in order to get a visa and even then it wouldn’t be easy. Also, Venezuela, like ALL the bordering countries, want nothing to do right now with anyone, of any nationality, coming from Brazil, a hotbed of Covid activity.
    Then, getting from Venezuela into Colombia would be another struggle I am told, as Venezuela recently busted a covert US/Colombian effort to overthrow the Maduro regime. Several US mercenaries are currently in custody. And the Venezuelan government found the Colombian boat used, loaded with Colombian and US weapons. Not good.
    elron, Scribe and poppawheelie like this.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Well, I received the RORO freight quote today. And, the grand total once again over $3000.00. Uuggghhhh.
    So, I passed on the June 30th boat. He did say there is one boat per month, so there is that “option” available to decide later to go for it. The last thing I want is to be in Jacksonville FLA waiting for the boat to arrive to then be hit with crazy fees to allow receipt. I see now what barely anyone but those flush with cash ever ship to/from Brazil.
    Anyways, I think I’ll ride into Itapema and get a few groceries now.
    MrMac, olekaw and simmons1 like this.
  6. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    I both envy and don't envy you. Being stuck in a beautiful Brazilian beach village is good, but the frustration of not being able to continue the ride is bad.

With the expense of getting out, I would be inclined to hunker down for the duration. I've always fancied becoming a local somewhere foreign (by choice, not forced on me).
  7. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    " The last thing I want is to be in Jacksonville FLA waiting for the boat to arrive. " For more reasons than one. As you probably know, Florida has recently become a hot bed for the virus. :hmmmmm
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I understand what you're saying David, and concur completely. It's why I'm still here and haven't bailed and flown home like so many others.
    This Sunday will be the third birthday of mine spent on the road since this crazy journey started, I'll make myself a microwave dulce de leche cake to celebrate. Maybe I'll hold off drinking 'till then too.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    yeah, but I've told all companies that I've asked to quote that I'll accept ANY port in the US...whatever's cheapest. And all so far have been ports in FLA
    pceire32 and poppawheelie like this.
  10. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well, I've already had a bottle of white and a bottle of red with my chicken lunch and I'm eyeing up the bottle of champagne in the fridge. Total lock-down manic depression here. Must listen to that Hendrix song again.

P.S. Happy Birthday. Feliz Aniversário.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  11. 8382

8382 KLR'sKlX"sGSn'stuff

Oddometer:
    Early happy Birthday to you. Glad to hear you are still holding it down. Keep with the positive attitude sir.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  12. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now it's a motorcycle report! Like others, we come here to get away from the politics and etc.

Love the equipment report. Always nice to see a comprehensive list of what works and what does not, thank you.

Question: what stove do you use? Multi fuel type or ?
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I’ve said it several times. If you aren’t comfortable with the things I say or discuss, feel free to move on. Trust me it won’t hurt my feelings. I’ve never tried to monetize the content either, so sorry if me expressing myself bums you out. My blog here hasn’t been the prototypical ride report for a long long time. And as I’ve been unable to continue traveling for going on 15 weeks now, I’m certainly not going to hold back my feelings about what’s happening in the world, both here in Brazil or back at home. So, what you come here for isn’t exactly relevant to me.
    You like how I express myself (and many do) then great. You don’t? There’s the door.
    I’m certain pleased you like this latest content but it is FAR from the first time I’ve gone over my equipment choices in quite some detail.
    That being said, I left with a home made multi-fuel stove (again, covered in detail long ago) that burns gasoline. It’s the body of a Chinese copy Primus. Adapted to fit a cook kit by Esbit designed to hold an alcohol burner. It worked well for the first 6 months or so. Then the pressure valve on the 1/2 liter fuel bottle started spewing gas. I replaced the o-rings in the valves (I was carrying an extensive spare parts bag) and all was well. Fast forward to many many months later, and I left a bag containing all my titanium cutlery, the stove spare parts, an awesome Opinel knife, a spring assist lock back knife and some food items in a Hostal on Ruta 40 south of Salta Argentina. The day’s ride after leaving it was long and brutal. When I discovered the stuff missing I decided not to backtrack and shrugged my shoulders at the loss. Shortly thereafter the o-ring failed again. A few days later I bought a tiny stove head that uses disposable gas canisters. That’s what I’ve used since. I kept the nice stove and bottle though, and have tried in vain multiple times to find new o-rings that fit.
    Maybe if the borders reopen and I can continue North I’ll renew the search.
    Again, I apologize if you don’t like my political views or content. We can’t always get what we want. Just like me being stranded here for over three months.

Peace
    Geezerguy, pceire32, elron and 7 others like this.
  14. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was referring to the others making this too politico...not you. It's your thread, do as you will. My apologies if I hit a nerve.

Thanks on the stove description and write-up. Been a debate for me on how to do this. Always used the fuel canisters, but thought (and read) not an option for RTW. Now that you are currently using a "Canister" stove can you report how easy it has been to find canisters in SA? Maybe they are more prevalent that previously reported?

Cheers!
  15. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    b

WOW! Wouldn’t a little Johnny Carson be good at night!
    poppawheelie likes this.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Omg yes!
  17. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago I bought a huge CD set of most of the Johnny Carson shows. Gave it to somebody else. Searched the Internet just now, and it's still available from Time Life and Amazon! Try Ebay too.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    No problem and thanks for the clarification. No one, and I mean no one will turn this long-ass ride report into anything other than I make it or allow. For instance, in all this time traveling I’ve met and ridden with some real assholes.
    And yet you never hear me talk about them or barely mention their name. Why? It’s because this blog’s about me...my life...this journey, and like most people, we try hard to forget unpleasant things as soon as humanly possible.
    Concerning fuel canister availability, they are found in every country. Sometimes even at fuel stops (YAY YPF gas stations!!) But on the rare times I’ve been out of fuel (first to come to mind was at the campground in El Calafate outside the Perito Merino Glaciar when a beautiful hippie chick begged for my fuel to finish cooking her meal and said she’d hang out when done eating...only to empty the canister and disappear lol) there is usually some wood available for a small fire. Normally not an issue. But....having a stove that burns gasoline...and a bike with a freaking 9 gallon tank, well, that’s a match made in moto-camping heaven.
  19. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dan, still here, still reading, and still thankful for your reporting.
    I think almost everyone feels “stuck” during these times, even those of us that live in “destination” places like Colorado. And even though we do get to ride, there is this sense of restriction, extra caution and concerns about spreading the disease to small remote towns we need for fuel and re-supply.
    Continue to hang in there, continue to share, and most of all - have a happy birthday. May the sun and wind be at your back and I wish you fantastic adventures in the year to come.
    Geezerguy, ScotsFire and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    :beer
    :dutch:drink
    :freaky
    :kumbaya
    elron likes this.