Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (encalhado em Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m so proud of myself!
    When I was cleaning out my tank bag I found a messed up adhesive vinyl Moto Hell bumper sticker from my friend Sata Gavilanes’ motorcycle shop in Quito Ecuador (don’t worry Sata there are already multiple Moto Hell decals on Sunny) and looking at it it occurred to me that with a few careful cuts with the scissor I could make it into a decal for Sunny that would show my support for the needed change in my country (and the world). Used the “E” , “T” and the “M”

Going on the bike tomorrow!

A39E7910-1B9A-441F-8BF2-8A9BDFC98BEA.jpeg
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Here is another Cycle South video production!
    This time it's footage from the ride from my friend Cesar Castro's Airbnb apartment in Loja Ecuador, down Rt 682 towards Zumba Ecuador.
    At times I wish now I had invested in higher quality video equipment, as all the good stuff now have image stabilization built in. As a result, my helmet camera is quite shaky at times. Of course, the video hardly shows just how steep the descents and ascents were, nor just how rough and corrugated the road was, even when standing on the footpegs.
    Hope you enjoy it!

3. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    YouTube has, or at least used to have, a stabilizing option you could click on after upload. It worked well for me.
  4. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    They eliminated that option recently when they changed to "YouTube Studio" as their new editing package. And...free online image stabilization is limited to very small file sizes. I'm not prepared to spend money on software at this time.
    Anyone out there who has software and wants to process files for me to edit, I'm all ears. PM me if you're willing to help.
    poppawheelie likes this.
  5. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mr. Dan,

What I like about you and your report and beautiful pics....Is you are black and white ....no grey area.....no look at me..... no hey I need people to read this......it's just you just being you.....and I thank you for that......your gonna throw it out there and if it sticks.... that's good.....and if it dont will then fuck em!! Your report!! Keep on being you brother!! Been following you for along time....CHEERS!!
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Responses like yours dano are not only refreshing, they actually can make me a bit emotional. Not because you agree with me, but because you understand it seems, why I'm doing my RR the way I am, and why I'm living my life the way I am.
    When I quit my job (day after Trump was elected) and started cashing EVERYTHING in to do this, I made up my mind right there and then that I would no longer EVER use any kind of facade. WAY too many years in a Corporate environment, behaving the way I was expected, regardless of my effectiveness at producing results. Always having to be politically correct. Mums the word. Don't want to upset the apple cart.
    I never went out of my way in my life to hurt anyone really, for any reason. Even the long custody battle when I was trying in court to prove my then-wife had drinking issues and was a danger to our Son, I never felt I was being vindictive. I've taken hits and taken the fall over and over to avoid conflict.
    And rather than adopting an attitude of retaliation since then, and since I left on my motorcycle for parts unknown, I've tried to turn the other cheek over and over. Still do.
    But for some things, sometimes, you need to make a stand. ALL of us, liberal and conservative alike can agree that 2020 has been a HELL of a year.
    But rather than sit and post snarky sarcastic Memes on social media, acting like the Covid virus isn't a real threat and that wearing a mask is a sign of weakness or that BLM is irrelevant and wait for the coast to clear, returning back to the same old same old, I'd really like to take this chance to become a better person. And it starts in the way we treat each other. Love. Compassion. Care. Respect. These words mean something. It's time for more people to practice using them on others. But I am not Jesus. I can't completely turn the other cheek during these times of Social Media maelstroms. I feel better at times speaking my mind knowing it might turn off people reading my blatherings. It's easy to unfriend and even block. And, being sooo far away from possibly meeting in person those who I might do so to, makes it tolerable.
    It's late. I'm tired. Goodnight
    Tagman, AngusMcL, twowings and 22 others like this.
  7. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Speaking of stoves, every time I use this, I think of you Dan and your journey. Wishing you a great birthday. Hoping to meet you one day. 84C6E79B-8608-42F2-A44F-0BF49CEB6A60.jpeg
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  8. GuyM76

GuyM76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well said Dan. I dropped in a couple of encouraging comments a good few months ago which you were kind enough to acknowledge and i am still reading along. I had hoped to be in Brazil (Sao Paulo state) in April visiting my wife's family so it interesting to read about your experiences of the place over a prolonged period (even though it's not an ideal situation) as I've never stayed more than a month at a time.

We're all through the looking glass now, some will use the situation as a catalyst to make positive change in their lives and their communities, some won't or can't. All any of us can do is reflect if our values are still the right ones to live by and try and do our best. It's people who try justify their selfishness with bullshit that grind my gears. Looters, vicious cops, lying politicians - all bastards. Nil illegitimi carborundum, as someone once wrote.

Anyway, keep enjoying local rides, I hope the weather doesn't get too rainy. And, happy birthday.

KR
    Guy
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  9. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, you said a lot right there. You've got a good creed to live by.
    Ohio_Danimal and ScotsFire like this.
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I actually bought that exact stove for this trip. Worked great, but I looked for other options for lighter weight and smaller form factor. I bought it used on ADV and sold it for what I paid.
    Thank you for the birthday wishes!
    Jay_In_Milpitas and Sunday Rider like this.
  11. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    You are right! I am the one that bought it from you! That's why this stove is so special to me!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Hahahahahah. That makes sense now! It really was a good stove. When packing for such a long trip I started adding up the weight of things and it just didn’t make the cut. Certainly is sturdy! Glad you’re getting good use from it.
    Sunday Rider likes this.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Obrigado meu amigo! I certainly wish things had been different as I really wanted to explore Brazil more. But that’s probably not gonna happen now. I think as soon as the border(s) open, Ima gonna jet. It’s a beautiful country from what I’ve seen and most folks I’ve met have been warm and welcoming. You can see it in their eyes, above the mask line.
    Mofrid, Turkeycreek and pceire32 like this.
  14. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Compassion. Care. Respect."
    If only more people kept these words in mind, we would be better off as a species. Not only yours is an amazing mc adventure, but your honest, straightforward, no bullshit outlook on life is very special. Some issues are indeed too big to stay silent... No country is perfect and calling out injustice is always the right thing to do, which has nothing to do with being non-patriotic. In fact, being fm Italy, I am always aware of where compulsory patriotism led us as a nation to between 1922 and 1943.
    Best wishes on your amazing journey, Dan!
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a ride. I was shooting for a five hour loop, but it ended up being being a bit over seven hours.
    I started by heading South along the coast on SC101, a major highway. Two toll stations and a long tunnel later I crossed a beautiful single center tower suspension bridge at Laguna, with Laguna Imarui’s placid waters visible on both sides. Shortly thereafter I left the highway (something that might surprise folks from the US, the fact that SC101 is the only route running parallel to the coast, bicycles are permitted on it, and there were many. In fact it was a busy day on SC101) and entered SC-437. As it wound it’s way around the Lagoon, the road turned quickly to rough cobblestones. Actually, hexagon-shaped paver stones. The first 20 km was like this and best ridden standing up most sections, as deep dips and large upheavals were hard to spot and it was easy to nearly bottom the suspension even riding a moderate pace. I never felt the need to ride quicker, as it was for a long while in and out of small villages set into the hillsides that looked like they belonged in the Mediterranean. Clay half-side shingles and 2 story brick and concrete homes. Most with a few cows in the yard.
    Through the trees you could see Laguna Imarui and many many fish net-trap-farms, outlines by colorful bouys.
    As the road continued sharp rises and descents through this, it turned suddenly to dirt and didn’t change back for many kilometers. Severe washboard and deep loose sand in areas made that challenging too. Not exactly the relaxing ride I had planned but still enjoyable. Sunny handles it all with aplomb.
    As is in many dirt road areas, you are occasionally humbled by locals passing you by on their little 150cc bikes, wearing shorts, t-shirt (or no shirt) and sandals with no helmet. Quite often after they pass and get perhaps 1/4km ahead, they slow down and you begin to catch up, which sucks because you’re then riding in their dust cloud. Best to slow even more to allow the gap to grow and the dust to settle. I often think they see Sunny ahead (and she looks giant in comparison to their machine) and they wick it up to show off. It never bothers me, except for the dust cloud.
    Eventually the road leveled out on the far side of a large hill between me and the Laguna and there it was miles and miles of cattle farms. And the smell wasn’t too bad. But my arm muscles were pumped up from riding the rough road so I stopped in the shade of a thick cluster of bamboo next to a cattle field, ate a ham/salami/cheese and mustard sandwich and ate an orange while I rested a bit.
    I had passed villages with names like Pescaria Brava, Nado Antenas, Sao Tomas, Vila Dos Rocha, Aratinguauba, Fazendo Rio das Garcas, Recanto dos Flores, Ponta Grosa and then in Ribeorao de Imarui the road finally turned back to paver stones. Shortly after that I came to the larger town of Florestal and then Imarui itself, on the shore of the Laguna. From there the road was well-paved all the way back to SC101. By then I had enough and just jumped back on the highway and followed the flow back home to Praia do Estaleiro.
    All in all beautiful weather. And I did take a few pictures. Not a lot, but a few. Hope you enjoy them.

The cool center-tower suspension bridge over Laguna Imarui
    D4A563D6-E7A8-4B2C-9FB3-544CBF0D9182.jpeg 2D6CF10D-E600-4BA3-9245-5EB2432B8575.jpeg

Laguna Imarui

0499876F-E7BB-49A4-AEC0-32FC6B1F0F5D.jpeg

The backside of SC-437

13639296-B8A7-4C8E-9E25-C9DA54B85703.jpeg

Bamboo stand provides shade

958ADF7D-ECA7-4845-8016-5B51ABB49C07.jpeg CF58E188-CF7E-4AE4-8710-759AB0C055D7.jpeg AAF66569-370F-43A2-84E5-9D59B7E44DA5.jpeg 4230CBFA-D260-43C3-8828-A3520CC882B7.jpeg AF8B797C-4127-4C30-B73F-FCC3842FFCD6.jpeg The ocean near Florianopolis Brazil 882AB6C1-E386-493A-BA32-D5EE5D58FE6A.jpeg 8255F9CC-B413-4078-B9F3-16B39E46FA22.jpeg 8497791A-5AC1-49A5-9F1B-AC8FC34997C7.jpeg

Many fish traps visible

D6265E89-21A3-42AA-8D96-BF6FAC6DEDF1.jpeg F0BBC887-304D-4797-96FD-AE805DD352AC.jpeg
    Mofrid, SohoPhil, roadcapDen and 20 others like this.
  16. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the beautiful photos on a hot and humid day in Texas!
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    It hit 82 F here today, and it's always humid here. So much so that if you don't place your things out in the sun, they start to get mildew growth on them.
  18. Sunday Rider

Oddometer:
    Wow beautiful pictures thanks for the ride along.

I just realized that this must be the shortest daylight of the year over there, and it is in the 80s? It is the longest day here and 87 and so humid.

Stay safe out there.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  19. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    The dirt road shot with Sunny parked shows the washboard.
    The Earls type of leading link fork that BMW used to use, and Ural still does on some models, really smooth out washboards. They are great in that aspect. There is no upward hammering to the handlebars.

Happy Solstice to you. Also an eclipse, depending on who is where on the globe.
  20. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes! Plus one for Earls Forks. They work especially well with a sidecar.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.