Cycle South 2020 / La segunda parte (encalhado em Praia do Estaleiro Brazil)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ohio_Danimal, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    Dan Back on the saddle ! Good pictures. As always, I enjoy your RR.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Usually when I tried picking a line off to the side away from the bad washboard, that was the area with the deeper loose stuff. Choosing one evil over another.
    Can’t see the eclipse from here. Besides being the summer solstice, it’s also my bday and Father’s Day tomorrow. Triple whammy.
    SoPaRider and MrMac like this.
  3. OH_Wahoo

OH_Wahoo It's always time to

Oddometer:
    Happy Birthday ! And Happy Father’s Day! Ride on... :beer
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  4. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Happy Birthday Dan! :wings:drink:dukegirl:beer
    drhippie2 and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  5. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy Bday! Have you considered doing some surf fishing to pass some time? Might be worth a shot:jkam
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  6. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy Birthday and Fathers day! :freaky:kumbaya:drums
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  7. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy birthday Dan!! :clap
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  8. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy Birthday Dan.:-):clap
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone for the Birthday well-wishes! Yesterday was a good birthday. Everywhere I went here in town people were singing me Happy birthday in Portuguese! It’s obvious word has gotten around about the Americano stuck here. Beer drinking started early at a Brunch Ema had and continued unabated until late.
    At 4pm I was called to Ema’s house and there they had a cake for me! Another round of Happy birthday was sung and we all dug into cake and fresh coffee. Then later I was asked to join one of Ema’s Sons at the local bar he hangs out at in the main strip. Olaf, who came back here just to celebrate joined me at the bar for yet more beers. At 7:45 I had to leave because starting at 8 my Son Spencer had organized a zoom video call with me and my Father as well as a couple of Spencer’s best friends the Wood brothers Andrew and Nate. Joining in also was one of my oldest dearest friends Mark.
    Spencer was with Greer too so I got to see Greer again too! We chatted for nearly four hours until I was far too deep into a fresh bottle of whiskey for any good to come of it lol.
    All in all a memorable night.
    Being 60 ain’t all that bad

this guy watched my zoom call on my kitchen window

6AFC3C8D-AF67-44F7-BFF1-987966EAA977.jpeg
    Vino says Happy birthday

BF05A821-2637-4CF2-B5C8-70B6F80C331D.jpeg

Ema and I

AD4A5B83-4164-46ED-A0AC-D8D3F1E1812F.jpeg

Ema’s Son Luiz

9D6896E9-BB32-421D-BE8B-40D1EB788FF3.jpeg

My cake!

0C3A0328-A485-4219-836D-5160015FAE56.jpeg FD8D5ABE-BC27-48C9-A4C4-19B9C158388C.jpeg
    windplay, elron, Pete S and 16 others like this.
  10. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great looking Cake !:-)
    Glad you had an enjoyable birthday.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  11. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Mrs. Steingar got a Zoom birthday party with everyone for whom I had contact information. She got a nice cake too. Feliz Cumpleanos Dan. Hope you can get a move on one of these days. Don't want you to have to celebrate another zero birthday in stuck in Brazil...
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes sir being 60 is not bad at all!
    Ohio_Danimal and roadcapDen like this.
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Dan, your 60th year seems to be going better than my 60th year. Best wishes.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  14. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    I checked the Brazil/Guyana border situation with my friend in Boa Vista. It is closed. But the area is Savanna and a lot more open. He is social distancing on a farm outside Boa Vista. :-)
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Yea, it's all shut down tight. Glad your friend is safe
    pceire32 likes this.
  16. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy birthday Dan! Yesterday was my 70th b’day. Mine was nice and quiet, just like I like it. I’ll let you young whipper snappers do the partying! God! Where does the time go?
    Geezerguy and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  17. MzunguMoto

MzunguMoto rode 15 countries, 180 more to go

Oddometer:
    Dan (@Ohio_Danimal),

Congratulations on a fantastic blog / ride report. Happy belated birthday and Father’s Day. Most importantly, thank you for sharing “the full catastrophe” of it all (meaning real, not bad - borrowed from Zora the Greek). I started reading this post in May. I felt compelled to read it all before posting myself. Wow, what a ride!

For context, I’ve lived a little. Mixed luck. I’ve loved and lost. Rarely learned the first time. I’ve chased all the things, running at full speed without clarity on where I was going, achieved some wild accomplishments and utterly failed in heartbreakingly creative ways. I’ve lived and worked on four continents and visited all seven. I traveled to 80+ countries, 15 of them on two wheels (hope to get closer to 195 one day). Had dream dog, house, wife, daughter, job, car, motorcycles - the full catastrophe! Then some health issues crept in (hence why your story resonated so much). I didn’t understand them, made mistakes (less clear in your story) and gradually lost it all in the last couple years.

You’ve got a couple decades on me, but I very much understand the emotions that drove you to ride south at 57. I’m sure it was in some small part catalyzed by the November 2016 surprise. Now with the surreal COVID global dynamic and the level of protest and mixed reactions back in the US, I dunno... the American Dream all just feels like a sham. If the timing were 6 months different, I’d probably have made my flight to New Zealand, bought my T7 there and seen if it were possible to run out of riding or find a new calling first. Now with borders still impassible I’m just not sure when I’ll get out.

Imagine if your timing for all of this were off by a year? Imagine if Parte Dos got held up by Covid! You’re a very lucky man, Dan - I’m sure it will only continue, with the patience you’ve already shown in abundance.

So I’m doing what I can. I’ve ridden 7k miles through CA, AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV, OR and WA in June on my FZ07. Finally picked up my T7 last week. Beginning to get it sorted for all terrains, all conditions, all days, etc. Still debating buying back my BMW Urban I never finished taking the urban out of and putting the GS back in. Then it would be a bit of a RTW bike bake-off between the 2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 and 2018 BMW Urban GS. Lots of BDR stuff I’ve never seen for shakedown rides. Plenty of WA and OR east of I-5 I’d like to do in better weather. Southern UT and lots of CO is just a dream. Could be fun! But if borders are open in October, I’m riding south. Get down to 1 bike (unless I get creative leaving the other with a friend). Sell as much crap as possible, and put everything else in storage. Prep to get stuck and not be able to get back for a year. Very specifically avoid detailed destination and planning; do lots of research but do not commit more than 1-2 days in advance.

Believe it or not, all this long winded rambling has a point. Your approach to this blog or ride report has had a profound impact on my life. I’ve been “stuck” for years. Even after circumnavigating Southern and Eastern Africa In 2010, I couldn’t imagine doing anything great again on a bike when I got sick and then sold all my motorcycles last fall (except for the FZ, just as a commuter). Even after doing the Bay Area to the Arctic Ocean in Deadhorse and back with my dad in 2014, I just wasn’t able to imagine completing that dream and heading south to Ushuaia (father isn’t keen). I’ve been to Tierra Del Fuego before when we took a ship to Antarctica in 2015, but I always wanted to burry / sell my second BMW Dakar down there. When I sold the Dakar, the GSA, the Urban and the others in the fall of 2019 the dream died (along with many others that forced the selling in the first place).

Stumbling across your ride report somehow reignited it. The challenges you’ve faced, the constraints you’ve worked around, and the brutal / painful / refreshing honesty and willingness to be really, truly yourself - it’s made all the difference. The thing I appreciated most is you made it “okay” to stay in once place for a week or so and live like locals or expats or whomever else made your regular company. You were NOT destination focused (as I have too often been on my rides). You chose a sustainable pace, only rarely more than 300 miles or 500 km per day (my Africa trip was like that, but our Alaska trip was nearly twice the pace and a huge logistical mistake). You know your bike, your kit, your riding abilities and the whole community fluently. It’s a marvel and true joy to watch, even if as a voyeur.

So, if I can provide you a small gift as a symbol of my appreciation, please pick up a copy of Shantaram.

It is by far my favorite book of all time, as well as the best type of reading for your kind of trip (staying put in Brazil, or riding and camping). It’s enough of an adventure to marry well with yours. Some references to bikes, but not so on the nose as Zen... or Motorcycle... It was my steadfast companion for 45 days riding 13 countries in Africa. I hope you enjoy it, and if you can’t find a way to get it locally (or kindle) let me know and I’ll find a way to get a copy sent to you. The audiobook is also phenomenal.

In return, I’ll keep trying to appreciate Manga and anime...

Rubber side down,

~j
    powderzone, dano619, codebot and 2 others like this.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:

Floored me. Not sure what to say. I'm happy that anything I've related all this time provided a positive return. Seriously. You've certainly got the miles under your belt to ward off the physiological wear and tear of extended seat time. I'm sure you'll do well with any trips in the future. Thanks for your kind words.
    Stay safe and I'll keep going from this end as long as I can. I'll check out Shantaran!
    ScotsFire likes this.
  19. MzunguMoto

MzunguMoto rode 15 countries, 180 more to go

Oddometer:
    Ha, you’ve said plenty! I just felt obliged to “introduce” myself after a very “one-sided” dialogue for 165 pages.

If you have a moment though, I do have one question about your gear: who makes the windscreen extender on Sunny and what do you think?

I’m having some buffering challenges on the new T7. I’d like to resolve them rather than change my preferred helmet(s). Honestly I’d prefer naked like my 2005 SV650N (would have ridden her to the moon like you, but I totaled her first) and so many other bikes I’ve gone in that direction. One of the allures of upgrading the Urban rather than riding my GSA beyond weight was the near naked design. Not sure how to make the T7 naked without making it fugly.

thanks in advance!
  20. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    That cake. Your family in Brazil seems very very nice. That cake though. :dukegirl
    Ohio_Danimal and gulfcoaster like this.